Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 3,508 total)
  • TrainerRoad – STW approved sessions
  • Haze

Ebbetts tonight, quite tough with those short sprints.

Got through it okay in as much as my arms weren’t going numb tonight, definitely felt like a step up from Base 1…

Haze

Kaweah was tough, really had to dig deep on the last interval!

thomthumb
    Free Member

Realised this afternoon I’ve been following the wrong plan! I thought I was doing sweet spot, but I’ve been doing build! What a knob.

Enjoyed centennial this morning though. 🙂

Haze

How are you finding build? May be my next plan to take me through to spring.

Keeler Needle coming up on Tuesday, looks like it may hurt…

Kryton57

Finally looking forward to doing the Novice Race Ftp test after being ill for a couple of weeks. I decided to do Epic Red Wing today to ease myself back in, not as easy as it looked…

Haze – Keeler Needle isn’t that bad as long as your head is in the right place. Grit your teeth and go…

Haze

Had a good session on Saturday so feeling much better after a sketchy week or so, need to wind the bad habits back in (ie. drinking) and I’m sure I can find my groove again…

Good luck with the FTP!

legolam
    Free Member

I’m ashamed to say that I sacked off the weekend workout in favour of going on a muddy cross bike ride with friends, eating homemade brownies then finishing off the weekend with a curry and beer. I should feel guilty, but I don’t really 😳

I suspect TR will have its revenge on Tuesday…

akak
    Free Member

Is it just me or has the virtual trainer list been updated and my trainer de-selected? I was a bit confused starting a workout with cadence but no power, had to go in and set it up again.

thomthumb
    Free Member

How are you finding build?

i only did the first week but found the sessions sensible & enjoyable – I ignored all the sit down/ stand up stuff from centennial – that’s the stuff i don’t like.

I’m interested in doing sweet spot/ 20MP build tempo stuff but i think i’m going to pick and choose workouts as opposed to follow a plan.

I’m going to move between sweet spot base, 20 minute power, 40 mile TT and add in perkins/ colosseum when required.

jonno101
    Free Member

Just had a break after finishing sweet spot base – low volume 1. Did an 8 min FTP test today, boy u forget those things aren’t pleasant – why oh why do we do them???
    Thought i’d only improved FTP a few watts, but gone from 245 – 260, so pain was worth it. Not goona bother with a plan until new year maybe enjoy a mince pie or 2 & festive 500.
    I now get a feeling to see much more improvement I’m going to have to really up my workload, which I dont think is possible at moment.
    Had to share as wife will just look at me blankly if I tell her 😉

Kryton57

Admittedly it was my work xmas party last night, but I just knocked out Cedric, and really struggled to finish the intervals. I’m almost scared enough that my FTP will drop and therefore to start next week’s build plan at current FTP and not do the test. 😳

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well if it’s going to take a dip then winter’s the best time. At some point it’s going to go down!

akak
    Free Member

A good blog post yesterday about training for mtb endurance events and how to structure a long period of training. I’m not doing a trad base this year and I don’t know what Leadville is but I might be able to use the “sustained power build” and “xc marathon” plans when they become available.

In other news i’ve failed 2 and skipped 1 of the 105% interval workouts in the mtb mid volume plan so i’m effectively on the low volume plan! It’s easier than an 8 minute test, just can’t do it right now.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

8 minute FTP test today to kick off the 2015 season training.

Nice increase to 4.2W/kg, hmmm lovely.

6 week intermediate base plan, then Sufferfest Tour, then MTB plan. Training sorted then.

Kryton57

Failed the ftp test today, stop start all the way through the 2 8 minute tests couldn’t be consistent, didn’t even average my prior ftp. The morale – never test when ill…

I shall carry on the Novice Race at my old ftp and re test in 8 weeks or so. 5 weeks I’ll has put me back a fair bit :-/

rsvktm

Not good re test, but treat it as 5 weeks rest. Gives you chance to push hard now your rested..
    I’ve been a bit slack the last month, riding every day but not at intensity just enjoying being out. However using the turbo has definatley helped, picked bits and pieces of mtb plan to try as new to turbo, 20 minute test on decent road bike this week has seen my ftp remain steady which i was happy about.
    New year will be mtb plan proper, bring the pain. Not going to lose any weight so all about the power just need another 10 watts to get me to 4.5w kg min by end Mar, first xc race of the season.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

First week of intermediate base two completed. Finished off with Palisade which is 5 * 9 minute over and under intervals for a total of 90 minutes on the rollers.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

my weekly TSS is usually somewhere between 450-650, usually about 8/10 hours on the bike,

for days like today when i don’t want to play russian roulette with the ice should i just jump on any of the high volume work outs around 2 hours?

any recommendations apart form ISLAGIATT ? or after a week off should i go for something with less IF ?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

That’s an impressive amount of TSS a week dirtyrider!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

flange
    Free Member

Just signed up and also joined the STW club – hope no one minds!

Doing the Traditional Base (mid) to get the ball rolling. 3 hours on the turbo sounds terrifying….

Kryton57

There’s an STW club?

Edit: So there is *waves*

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Ok so I’ve been dabbling with the traditional base training plan for the last few weeks but work and a cold have meant I’ve not been on the turbo for the last 2 weeks so looking to get back in to some training this week now I’m feeling better but can’t face the boredom of Whorl so looking to do something that’s going to improve my endurance and keep me interested.

Was thinking of doing the Sweet Spot – Base 1 but not sure if this fits the bill for what I’m after. Anyone have any suggestions or should I just get on with this plan?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

The Sweet Spot base plans look good to me. Do a plan that you can realistically achieve rather than attempting something way too advanced and failing. For the majority of folks following any of the plans will give them 90% of the benefits of following a plan tailored to their exact needs, and without the cost of getting one created for them.

Nice consistency dirtyrider, what do you don the road/trail to complement that? To answer your question, sort of, I’d say two one hour sweet spot sessions in a day would be better than one longer session if you’re searching for ideas/inspiration.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Nice consistency dirtyrider, what do you don the road/trail to complement that?

thats all outdoors, I’ve done 1x 30 minute session on the turbo since March

2x 1 hour sound good, kids might hinder that however, just looking at sessions for winter days rather than following a plan, might do the 8DC rides

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

What do you use to get the TSS number? Strava premium or Golden Cheetah, as you can’t, as far as I know, use TrainerRoad to create one from a normal Garmin type file.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Training Peaks gives the above graph, power meter on road/mtb though

IanMunro
    Free Member

And running too. Training peaks uses a variety of TSS guestimates based on pace, HR etc.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Interesting that it can interpret running data as well, is that available in the free or paid for version?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m not too sure, I’m using the paid version, there’s a subset of data views in the free version but I don’t know if rTSS is covered.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/running-training-stress-score-rtss-explained

http://help.trainingpeaks.com/entries/22985260-Training-Stress-Scores-Explained

BTW if you do try the free version of training peaks, when you first use it, the site looks like it’s got sweet FA on it, you need to upload a bit of data and start click on all the discreet little icons to discover stuff.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

You can still see TSS on the free version, gives you as TSS figure without a power meter as well as long as there is HRM data, I don’t pay for it, they keep giving me free weeks, and it auto grabs my data from Garmin Express when I connect it

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Thanks I’ll check it out. Any chance there is a Strava import function?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Hmm more numbers to play with, interesting. Also coming in at 450 to 500 TSS per week for the few sample weeks I decided to upload and test.

No TSS graphing on the basic level but it plays quite nicely with TrainerRoad output files, and slightly less so with Strava ones, (no HR data on running sessions, but as its exporting as GPX then I guess that’s not a real surprise).

Question is, is it worth uploading my data to another site?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Thanks I’ll check it out. Any chance there is a Strava import function?

if you tick the right boxes on training peaks/strava then sure,

when i plug in my garmin, express auto uploads it to Connect, it then appears in my Training Peaks account and also in my Strava account should i wish (i don’t use this option, i manually upload to Strava so i can select it as a trainer ride so it doesn’t show in my YTD mileage)

Kryton57

After creating a training peaks account I can’t find any of that via iPad, despite the “import the last 30 days”mnot revealing any data. I am trying it with an iPad though, will try a pc tomorrow.

I’ve 3hrs on a train tomorrow within which I shall be re adjusting my documented plan to account for the past five weeks gone missing, then coming home to Langille in a cold – but only for a short while – mancave.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

takes a while to populate the data maybe?

right what am i missing here, satori set on level 5, too much resistance on the tyre? i should just buy a direct drive job, hate this setting up variables bollocks

right, same bike, data a week apart,

trainer road graph is first 20 minutes of 8DC Stage 1 2014, the 2nd is a commute last week,

on the trainer, id done nothing higher than 261W in the Tempo section (after the sprint) and my HR was creeping towards 190bpm,

commute, 31km, Average 267W, Average HR 168 – over 57 minutes

mrblobby
    Free Member

right what am i missing here, satori set on level 5, too much resistance on the tyre? i should just buy a direct drive job, hate this setting up variables bollocks

So if same bike, from the second graph you have a PM but from the first you are using virtual power on the turbo? Confused. Not even sure what the question is.

Virtual power figures are likely to be different to PM figures (so 250 watts on one may be much lower or higher on another.) Also riding on the road is different to riding on the turbo. Looks a chilly commute too which may result in HR being a lot lower. Was the level of fatigue the same for both efforts. Just loads of variables!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

im not using virtual power on the first?

fatigue? i just had christmas off versus 12 weeks of 200/300km a week on the commute graph

mrblobby
    Free Member

im not using virtual power on the first?

I’m confused again, is this a question?

This also led me to believe you are using virtual power. If you are using a PM then none of that matters.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

no was not using virtual power on the first,

just popped into the kitchen, same gear ratio, settled into a 90rpm cadence,

first pic, selected virtual power, tacx satori power tap 5 from the profiles
    second pic, unselected virtual power, so its using actual power data

my outdoor FTP is 295W – i have TrainerRoad set at 300W, so why am i dying on my arse trying to put out 260w

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 3,508 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.