Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 3,508 total)
  • TrainerRoad – STW approved sessions
  • The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I actually did Grassy Ridge tonight as well, its the last session before the national champs, (in Sweden), this weekend so I was looking for a good session for a little form tweaking, nothing too intense but enough to wake up the legs.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Same here – post kids betime workouts or preshower morning up at 5am workouts. Just got to fit them in.

You do indeed. Spinning away on the turbo at 5am to get a session in before the kids get up. Ridiculous behaviour when you think about it 😉

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Ridiculous behaviour when you think about it

Feels great at morning coffee knowing you’ve already done today’s session though. Smug 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

… and that is definitely the worst thing about having to leave it till 8 in the evening 🙁

Kryton57

Well, this last few months I’ve quite enjoyed sitting on the patio in my bibs during the evening instead of watching the same old shite on the telly. I’ve had a few lunchtime opportunitys whilst wfh but it makes my day really rushed. I am on the verge of relocating into the mancave though as the temperature falls….

I think my neighbour thinks Im a bit odd. .

Haze

iOS app is available in the store for those that want it…

Kryton57

Hmm. You can’t select workouts by plan, meaning I have to login to the site before knowing what to do.

Also, how is virtual power etc going to work without ANT?

mrblobby
    Free Member

ANT+ dongle for the phone, or get a bluetooth speed/cadence sensor (lots of them about now, this one’s only 30 quid) or PM. Tempted for when away from home.

Kryton57

I’ve got a usb dongle. I guess you can get some kind of adaptor for an iPad mini.

Edit: yes you can.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I don’t think you can just plug your USB dongle into an USB adapter for the iPad. You need one of these. 35 quid isn’t too bad.

jam-bo

First session done. 20min FTP. That was relatively unpleasant…

jam-bo

heres a question. looking at my data from last night, should HR be relatively constant through the 20min test? Mine steadily rose from 160ish to 180ish at the end. Virtual Power was pretty constant at a level I thought I could maintain.

akak
    Free Member

Do you know your max hr? Not easy to pace the tests, when I started I did the 20 followed by the 8 minute the following week which I would say is more relevant to MTB.

My own test went a bit better this time, I felt like quitting and couldn’t hold enough power on the second effort but kept it close to target. Muscular endurance seems to be lacking.

legolam
    Free Member

I would have thought that HR should rise steadily as you fatigue through the interval. If it stays steady, you’re not working hard enough. I can’t quite get to my max HR by the end of the second interval of the 8 min test, but I get close.

legolam
    Free Member

I’ve done 6 separate 8 min tests since I signed up for Trainerroad a year ago, and I find I’m still learning how to pace them. It’s definitely something that improves with experience.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Mine steadily rose from 160ish to 180ish at the end.

Yes, HR can take a while to track power. During a 20 min threshold effort, for example, mine takes a good 10 minutes to get to around FTHR.

For a 20 min test you should be at your max towards the end.

jam-bo

I had enough left to push on a bit in the last minute and hit 184bpm, max I seen before is about 188.

Kryton57

It also rises the more tired you get. I did 9 2 minute vo2 max intervals at >110 revs last night. My max hr is 178′ my first interval topped out at 162 and the last 173. If you look at the HR profile the general trend is it get higher the longer the workout goes on.

It was Mills, jeez did it hurt. I couldn’t complete them all losing about 20 secs of cadence or changing down a gear at then end of the interval of but according to the on screen instructions this is perfect as long as the initial 45secs/1min at v02 max is achieved. I completed the 9th by gritting my teeth and imagining I was winning a crit, but felt very sick and unsteady for about a minute after.

Fwiw, after 8 months of TR I think I’ve reached a point where my Ftp gains will be much more marginal than in the past.

Does anyone else do there workouts on an incline based resistance with a view to improving power quickly? 😈

Haze

Finished Sweet Spot Base 1 yesterday, low volume so it doesn’t interfere too much with actual riding opportunities.

Given the last week was a ‘recovery’ week think I’ll head straight into Base 2 on Tuesday which will take me through to early Jan (I may miss the 30 min Wedsnesday spins).

Lands me 1 week in front of the local winter crits if I decide to throw myself in…

legolam
    Free Member

That’s my plan too – hoping to also manage the MTB plan before the XC season starts in Spring.

I’ve been missing out most of the weekend long rides in favour of at least one MTB ride a week, as I’m also commuting 4 or 5 days a week as well as doing the other 2 turbo sessions. I think I’ll also miss the Wednesday low intensity workouts in the plan – it’s just too much riding.

Gonna give the 8 min test a shot later… not looking forward to it!

akak
    Free Member

I actually did the Wednesdays but I would have skipped them if I could have done any real riding instead.

Yesterday we had a rare lie in that made us late and I tried to fit in my workout before breakfast…big mistake I was useless. My best arrangement seems to be eating a half dinner with the family, wash up, workout then eat the rest.

Have run out of video to watch…take the star wars box set to the garage?

Haze

Thinking the crits could be a good indicator of how things are going, get those done then intermediate build up to spring. There’s a Thursday night road league April to July that’s tempting if I’m feeling it.

I’m waiting til Tuesday for my 8 minutes though, can’t say I’m looking forward to it either! I’d be happy if it hasn’t changed much tbh, won’t be too disappointed as it’s just base work?

legolam
    Free Member

Well, that’s the closest to death I’ve felt in a while! Felt good though. FTP up 10 from 192 to 202, so I’m edging closer to where I was last spring.

Kryton57

54 miles off road today seems to have sorted my cough out for now. FTP test Tuesday Xc race at the weekend before a build plan for jan/ feb crits. 😈

rsvktm

Just got a wahoo kickr and started using tr, first time turbo user. Works great, tr controls the kickr so no hiding place. So much ‘easier’ to do intervals with no distractions was getting bit dangerous trying to do on road and trail.
    Started to look at mtb plan with the aim to start that in the new year ready for xc season, Katahdin was a good workout. FTP test much better to do on a turbo as well. Should have done this years ago…

jonno101
    Free Member

Just 99% finished Sweet Spot 1 low volume too (well I got to do Brasstown, just to say I have actually finished it?)
    I think Ill have a week off turbo, then just do an 8 min test just for shits & giggles ;))

I’m not sure what plan to do next, problem is I can only do 3.5 hrs Max per week, so would like one more intense but dunno which one? Also Im gonna wait until new year, as every Xmas have ambitions of Rapha Festive 500, but always fall short…
    Haze let us know what new FTP is, good luck 🙂

legolam
    Free Member

Sweet spot base 2 definitely starts to get more intense than SSbase 1, or you could go to the cyclocross or MTB plans for maximum torture. FWIW, I did SSbase2 last year, with a break in the middle to do the Festive 500, then moved onto the CX plan (the MTB plan wasn’t available last year).

Haze

Base 2 sounds about right, think I’m ready for a bit more effort but don’t want to crank it up too high just yet.

jonno101
    Free Member

Oh Yeah SS Base 2 – Low volume is 4 hrs a week, maybe just about doable? 😉

Kryton57

Base 2 sounds about right, think I’m ready for a bit more effort but don’t want to crank it up too high just yet.

Erm….

Haze

Have I missed something?!

jonno101
    Free Member

Perhaps base 2 is Hardcore?

warton
    Free Member

I haven’t been on trainer road since thursday, due to illness, my CX training is going to pot!

Kryton57

Haze, it may be me by I found Sweet Spot2 quite hard and ramping to very hard at the end.

I too have been ill for a week 1 x mtb ride only this week. I’m supposed to be doing ftp test tonight but may defer to tomorrow.

Haze

Just aborted mine, felt good at the start but ending up going out far too hard in the first 8.

I have a whole load of excuses why I probably shouldn’t have bothered tonight but a schoolboy error has left my lying on the floor shaking like a shitting dog for the last 15 minutes!

Think I’ll leave my FTP where it is for a bit…

Haze

Cheers Kryton, despite my post directly above I’ll crack on with it and see how it goes…

rsvktm

Just done sisters (sounds wrong) as part of the mtb plan, that was hard had to drop it to 90% 3/4 through to make sure finish. Finding my weaknesses, I can sprint no worries and can average a fairly decent power but I do like to vary, keeping a constant effort is killing me. I wouldn’t do an FTP test after being ill, bit of a shock to the system and may be a disappointment…

Kryton57

I wouldn’t do an FTP test after being ill, bit of a shock to the system and may be a disappointment…

A general question then; most plans start with an FTP test – is there anything wrong with not performing it and carrying on as usual, specifically if you were finding the previous plan pretty hard – as in struggling with the last 10% of most intervals? Or should I “test”, even if the result is that it goes down…

I’m supposed to be starting “novice race” tomorrow (today actually) in prep for a January winter series but haven’t shrugged off a cough…

Haze

On the basis of tonight, that’s exact what I’m thinking I should have done.

I’m fairly happy where it is tbh (see post from a couple of days back) so would probably have made sense to have taken the opportunity to rest.

Instead of sat here feeling battered…

rsvktm

My only concern with testing when ill or recovering from illness is that the test is supposed to be a indicator of what you can do when rested or at least not fatigued and as in itself is a stressful exercise and could prolong an illness. Also pretty demoralising to have a poor test, maybe use a prior FTP result with a 5% reduction initially.
    I really should not have had to reduce the watts on my ‘ride’ but I rarely rest enough, to easy to forget that rest is when the body repairs itself and makes us stronger..
    To that end I’m not doing any riding or turbo tomorrow, first time in a while.

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 3,508 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.