Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 3,508 total)
  • TrainerRoad – STW approved sessions
  • jonno101
    Free Member

@Haze
    Me too, just joined STW team on TR and see you there (& others). I think we’re about same level, so be interesting to see what Sweet spot base 1 does??
    I had a nice (if thats correct term!!!) raise in FTP as haven’t done for a year. This is a good nerdy thread for TR fans. Thanks jon

Kryton57

A question; I had a bad day in the office – in my opinion – when doing the 8 min test for Sweet spot 2. I did the first workout and felt it could have been a few % harder. Should I trust TR or raise the FTP manually a bit?

I say that but I have Keeler Needle tomorrow….

jam-bo

still waiting for the iphone app. FB suggests it may be immenent.

which is good as i’m stuck in abergloom this week.

Haze

Sorry Jonno missed your post, looking forward to Goddard tomorrow? Only 60 minutes this time!

akak
    Free Member

I was in the same situation Kryton (except keeler needle was put in after I’d started the plan) and I have stuck with it rather than raise. First failed session on Sunday as well and a few signs of overtraining so I have to be more careful what I’m doing in the real world.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I may have mentioned this before 😉 but the test just gives an estimate. It’s an estimate of the power you could sustain constantly for 60 minutes. For some an 8 min test may give a decent estimate, for others it may not. If you think it’s high or low then tweak it.

Kryton57

I think its reasonably accurate for me, as i usually find the workout reasonably hard, sometimes get of the turbo wobbly and have aching legs an hour after, but I wouldn’t say I was in the James Cracknell passing out stage at the end of each one.

Sweet Spot isn’t supposed to be that hard anyway is it.

But my test – I was good for 6 mins on the first 8 min interval but was suffering with leg pain, then (stupidly) convinced my self to change down for 30 seconds before changing up and finish the final minute. On the second test the same, although once I changed up gain I couldn’t get a rythm going. I did gain 1w, but the latter 1/4 of each interval was “spikey” in the profile. If I’d have been consistent I reckon perhaps a 5-8w gain?

I was very tired – as in kneel on the floor and take a breather for 5 – after the test though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sweet Spot isn’t supposed to be that hard anyway is it.

Depends how long the interval 🙂 An hour at that pace should be manageable and not leave you totally spent as it is slightly below your hour max. Try something like Galena, a 3×20 sweetspot. You should be able to comfortably complete that.

You could have a go at something like Table too as a way to validate your FTP. Should be hard but doable. If you finish it comfortably then FTP is probably too low, if you’re on the limit towards the end then maybe too high.

I was very tired – as in kneel on the floor and take a breather for 5 – after the test though.

I had a sick bucket next to the turbo last time I tried it 🙂

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

If you think it’s high or low then tweak it.

^this^

It’s unlikely that someone new to threshold testing is going to get an accurate result on their first couple of attempts. When I started TR I did the 8 min test twice in 3 days and went from 234-263w…clearly my fitness hadn’t changed one iota, but my understanding of the effort required had.

Anyhow, regarding the FTP tweaking; I did this repeatedly through the Sweet Spot II plan…complete a few sessions at FTP, bump it by 5 points….complete a few more, another 5 points. This took me from 263-300w by the end of SS2. I did wonder whether I was pushing it too much, i.e. turning SS intervals into threshold / VO2 max efforts, but it all seems to have worked out OK. Just go on your gut feel.

If anyone’s looking for a quick workout to fit in when they’re short on time then I can recommend Ride Fit Master Blaster – 36 minutes of high intensity intervals with short rest intervals. Great for early mornings before work.

Pensacola Stage Race is quite interesting. It looks doable, not too tough, but has a nice sting in the tail due to the intervals ramping up meaning the last couple of rest intervals aren’t 🙂

beaconjon
    Free Member

I race TT so last winter from Jan to March I followed their 40k TT prog. It gave me a great boots in FTP, around an extra 40 watts over 12 weeks. I PB’d all my distances early in the season.

I’m currently on the 11 week Competetive cyclist prog. If you want a brutal session try Givens. 2 lots of 3 intervals at 110%, 120% and 130% FTP, 3 minutes at each level.

beaconjon
    Free Member

I’d also recommend following a programme, that way you get proper structure and an easier week every 4th week to help recover rather than doing it adhoc and becoming fatigued.

Kryton57

Sheesh. Although my quads were burning in the last 20 seconds of each Keeler needle intervals, I didn’t struggle through it. I’ve 3 x 12 mins on Thursays preceeding a long weekend away on the mtb, so I’ll think I’ll leave my Ftp as it is for that, and up it next week.

Haze

Goddard tonight, probably my least favourite to date.

Form sprints were okay but struggled with finding a good cadence for the required power in the spin ups and ended up working too hard (although no bouncing).

ILT’s were a pain in the arse, I used to do this for a laugh on the way back from the pub. I guess practice will bring perfection but I’m not sold on them enough to spend lots of time working on them…are they really worth it?

Haze

Antelope on the other hand was excellent….

Kryton57

Seems a tough week this week – all muscular endurance. I completed Jepson which is 4 x 8,mins close to FTP intervals, with 3 x sprints included per interval last night – just – using Jen’s “shut up legs” philosophy. The final set of sprints had that “I might be sick” feeling meaning I had to ride through that and the lactic build up for a minute before setting back into an FTP sized interval.

I’m glad today is a off day!

akak
    Free Member

Mary Austin really did not suit my condition on Sunday night. I have a dead training week after this so may revisit some workouts I flunked from sweet spot 2.

My heart rate strap worked for 18 months on outdoor rides and I didn’t even know it was meant to be washed but it fails frequently on the turbo. I think this is because with no shirt on all upper body sweat is captured and evaporated from the chest strap leaving the salts behind. How does a cool base layer compare to a bare chest?

jonno101
    Free Member

Sounds like a dodgy strap, they don’t last that long. Should work either with shirt or without? I had to get new one recently as last one died after about 18 months, no probs now inside or out, shirt / no shirt! I do now rinse after every ride & detach sensor.

Kryton57

You need to wash a chest HRm strap? I never have, its been going for two years and is 2 months into a new battery.

I stick lick it damp before every session, oh yes.

In other news, I made a mess of Soloman on Sunday not being able to complete the VO2 max intervals after the 3rd (of 9!), good grief thats a tough one.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

latest garmin strap says to wash after every 7 uses

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve had one of the old style garmin HRM, must have had this one about five years now, don’t think I’ve ever washed or cleaned it 😳

Solomans looks pretty evil, notice the last 4 intervals step it up a bit too!

Kryton57

dirtyrider – Member
    latest garmin strap says to wash after every 7 uses

Not the computery bit surely?

Kryton57

Solomans looks pretty evil, notice the last 4 intervals step it up a bit too!

Yeah. 6 x 3 mins at 15% FTP, then a threshold interval which looks like its nice little rest period, but starts to nag at your legs toward the end, then your faced with 4 x 2 mins at 130%.

I did it on Sunday and only has an hours sleep since Thursday (baby traumatised by fireworks), so wasn’t anywhere near the best place to complete it.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Not the computery bit surely?

Not sure if serious

Kryton57

I am.

I don’t see how not washing the elastic strap only affects it in the way jonno101 suggests. In fact it wont, but I could understand how wiping down the actual unit to clear it of salts would help, but sticking it in a washing machine would kill it.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

just the strap, not the snap on plastic unit

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/HRMSS_Care_ML12.pdf

akak
    Free Member

Thanks dr – to quote from the pdf “A buildup of sweat and salt on the strap can decrease the ability of the heart rate monitor to report accurate data”

What I get is during a workout HR readout will drop – see this ride for an example of when it was particularly bad http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/1151336-Beacon

Washing it fixes the problem. New battery fitted correctly made no difference. I assume that the buildup of electrolytes in the fabric bridges the left and right chest pads and confuses the electronics.

Jase
    Free Member

I’m thinking about giving this Trainerroad a go, think I have all the equipment (Bike, Turbo, Garmin Dongal, Laptop, HR strap, Garmin 500.)

However, I already have a training plan that I (try to) follow. Does Trainerroad have a library of sessions to choose from as opposed to using their training plans? I’d like to be able choose one of their sessions to match what my training plan says I should be doing. E.g. If I should be doing an hour long speed session, choose an appropriate session from Trainerroad.

Cheers.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Jase, you don’t need the 500. You’ll want a speed/cadence sensor unless you have a power meter.

TR has a very large library of sessions to chose from. You can also create your own using the workout builder (very easy to use.) So the choice is yours. As for the TR plans, it up to you if you want to follow one, which session you pick, and how you go about it.

Jase
    Free Member

Cheers MrBlobby.

Have the Garmin GSC speed/cadence sensor. Sounds good, I’ll sign up and have a play over the weekend.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Hi,

Sorry if it has been covered previously, I currently do not have the time to search all the pages.

I am time limited when I can use TR, which tends to be when Jnr FD has gone to bed. If I do an 1hr long Sufferfest its nearly 9:30 before I sit down to eat. I also end up doing them quite ad hoc.

Are there any TR programmes with sessions that last 30 or so minutes?

I just looked at the time limited one, and even then 1 day was 45 mins, the other 60 mins.

Thanks

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

There are plenty of sessions you can do in 30 minutes or less.

Tabata, 4 * 4 minutes off 2, 15/45’s etc.

The time limited ones are talking about total training time per week, not per session.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you look at the “Workout Library” and sort by duration there’s a load of sessions 30 minutes and under. You can also build your own versions of other workouts and distil longer workouts down to its more essential parts.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It would just be good to have a structured thing like the TR programmes to vary it a bit?

To be honest I dont have a clue what I should be looking at doing. ie I imagine doing 4 session of Tabata per week wouldnt be easy or as beneficial as mixing it up a bit?

Is it just the fact that you are on the bike and pedaling that is good, or are the TR programmes gaining you fitness by doing specific things week on week.. if that makes sense?

Haze

Workout creator works really well, I’m thinking of recreating a load of workouts to remove all those wretched ILT drills…

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

It would just be good to have a structured thing like the TR programmes to vary it a bit?

Yes defiantly, it also saves you form having to think about what to do, just look at the program and do it. Its one less excuse.

To be honest I dont have a clue what I should be looking at doing. ie I imagine doing 4 session of Tabata per week wouldnt be easy or as beneficial as mixing it up a bit?

It’ll be better than not training but it’ll get a little stale after a while and the benefits will reduce as well over time

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So therefore it would be good if TR could put some programmes together of say 30 mins 3 to 4 times a week 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

You could just knock up a programme based on the sub 30 min ones available. You could mix up ones with longer intervals like Slide with shorter ones like Star. And maybe plan in longer less intense sessions on the weekend if you have time.

FWIW, I have the same issue with Blobby Jrs. I’ll usually have a light tea with the kids around 6 and get on the turbo before 8pm, and it can be gone 10pm by the time I’m done. Oaty protein shake, shower, then try and get to bed before 11 for a disturbed night due to pesky waking kids, and the latest they’ll get up for good is 7am 😕 Could be much worse though!

Kryton57

Same here – post kids betime workouts or preshower morning up at 5am workouts. Just got to fit them in.

akak
    Free Member

Trevor’s book is £1.94 on kindle http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PHINEDU

Just thought i’d share, seems good so far 8)

warton
    Free Member

thought I’d join in this thread 🙂

I’m using TR during the winter to build up to the TT season.

currently racing CX, so doing CX medium plan till December 20th, then the 12 week TT mid plan.

did Grassy ridge last night. 9 x 30 second sprints, 3 sets. incredible to see the power drop off on set three, this is where TR really comes into it’s own compared to just following a sufferfest video, or similar…

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 3,508 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.