Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • TrainerRoad or BC?
  • colournoise

Was going to post this in the big TR thread, but it might have got a bit lost.

Been riding for years, but new to the idea of more structured training.

I have a TR subscription and looking at either following one of the TR build programs (Short Power or General) or trying the British Cycling Improvers’ Plan.

Any opinions on which is ‘better’?

Obviously with TR I just need to connect everything up and follow the workouts on screen. With the BC plan I’d need to do a bit more planning and prep work (would probably end up finding TR workouts that mirror the BC instructions).

Also, it would presumably be OK to substitute in real MTB rides for some of the sessions? Would go insane chained to the turbo in the garage for weeks…

colournoise

Plaintive bump…

ferrals
    Free Member

I use TR, I looked at the BC plans but they seemed too complicated. TR takes out the thinking, you just train.

I regularly replicate TR outside, in fact i keep my subscription going through the summer when i only turbo occassionlly just so i can follow the plan structure.

Depending on where you live some sessions will be harder to replicate outside. I find long base rides are easy (they tend to have these on a sunday) as are the shorter intervals up to about 6 minutes (can be done as hill climbs etc). Because of where I live I struggle to replicate the longer sweet spot or over under intervals. If you lived somewhere with giant mountains or very flat it would probably be ok, but undulating terrain makes them hard and you get too much coasting to get the benefit.

colournoise

Cheers. Quite flat round here so should be OK.

Was leaning towards TR – can’t see me following the programs to the letter anyway (not racing – more a way to get a bit of fitness developed over just my usual ‘social’ riding). I suspect I’ll ditch a few turbo sessions in favour of ‘specific training’ round the local woods…

stevious

I started trying a BC one this year as it was free and easy to setup in TrainingPeaks. Found myself ignoring it in favour of Trainerroad more and more.

IF you don’t have any specific goals then just basing the structure of your week on what TR prescribes will bring good gains. Particularly in not doing too many intense workouts and also getting in good rest weeks. Don’t miss rest weeks even if you’re feeling good – that’s the bit where you actually get better.

fifeandy
    Free Member

For me, i’d favour TR – especially if you are a power meter user.
    BC have put together a nice set of plans though, and i’ve no doubt they would work.

colournoise

fifeandy – Member
    For me, i’d favour TR – especially if you are a power meter user.

I’m using virtual power (my ‘dumb’ turbo is listed by TR though) with speed, cadence and HR sensors. Under no illusions that it’s in any way real world accurate, but at least relative gains/losses should be usable?

fifeandy
    Free Member

imo, virtual power can be usable, but you have to be tediously careful controlling all the variables to make it consistent.
    Some trainers will behave better than others in this regards, but tyre pressure, ambient temperature and ‘warm up’ period can mean that 200 virtual watts can be vastly different from ride to ride, or even during the same ride.

stevious

I used to use virtual power and did a couple of rides with it alongside my power meter to compare. It wasn’t accurate at all (60W too low in my case) but was really consistent so as long as you keep your tyre pressure and the resistance settings right you’ll be grand.

colournoise

Good advice. Thanks.

Given that all other variables (speed, cadence, HR) are consistent, and that effort feels comparable (on a Borg-type judgement) from workout to workout, at my non-competitive level I’m happy enough to use virtual power.

If all else fails, I guess I can fall back on HR zones…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘TrainerRoad or BC?’ is closed to new replies.