Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Trainerroad and setting FTP with Sufferfest – Rubber Glove
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

So I set my simulated FTP using the Trainerroad 20 minute test back in January.

I’ve been doing a lot of riding and turbo sessions etc, so thought I’d see what my FTP is now. Thought I’d use Sufferfest Rubber Glove….

So, Rubber Glove reckoned my FTP had gone up by about 10-15% in this ~3 month period. I find that quite hard to believe and since I’ve upped the FTP setting on Trainerroad, I’ve only just about managed to complete one session out of three attempted.

The two sessions I’ve bailed on have been a couple of days after a crit race, and its felt like there was just nothing in the legs to keep with the target power during intervals. Totally flat and lifeless.

Has Rubber Glove suggested too high an FTP? Should I have used the Trainerroad 20minute session again to ensure a reliable comparison? Or should I be doing a long ride or something else other than intervals shortly after a race?

The sessions were starting to feel a bit easy with my original FTP. Still an effort but I’d be pushing probably 10percent more than the target power throughout the whole session.

So what to do? Redo the FTP session but using the Trainerroad session when I’m fresh? Adjust my training in relation to crit racing midweek?

Or just sit in front of the tv eating pizza? 😉

schmiken

Sounds like your FTP is bang on. Are you using a powermeter or virtual power?

stabilizers

Its Trainer Road that suggests the ftp not the workout. Its based on your original ftp. The first time you did the ftp with Trainer Rd it suggests a default power target. It probably was a bit easy for you. It was for me.
    The 2nd ftp is a bit more realistic. Its supposed to be hard.
    Do it again with the 20 minute trainer rd and see what you get. Be well rested after any big event though. You should be feeling pretty fresh.
    Trainer rd is really good as it gives you that power target to aim for that’s hard to replicate on the road.
    My ftp went up significantly the 2nd time. i am probably due another as i have done a lot of training/riding. I don’t expect it to go up as high.
    I should have said I was using Rubber Glove to set my ftp

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mtbtomo
    Free Member

Felt like I went as hard as I could on the first FTP session – ignored the target power, was just trying to keep the numbers consistently high.

Using virtual power with a speed/cadence sensor.

I know its meant to be hard but my legs felt like full of lead. When I’m feeling fresh I can up the effort when required. Two days on from race and I still feel lacking in energy despite good eating and sleep.

schmiken

Ideally an FTP test should be done at the end of a rest week so you can put in max effort. Are you keeping all variables the same? Tyre, pressure, turbo tension?

ollie51
    Free Member

10-15% in three months is definitely doable. Obviously you’ll want to check the variables, as above.

Two days after a crit race, unless you absolutely emptied yourself should not leave you with much residual fatigue, if any. Basically, you should be able to get within the acceptable parameters of your training session’s power targets. Have a couple more goes, if not re-evaluate your FTP.

Remember, training by power is not about setting PRs every session, you only need to see a trend of improvements, that doesn’t necessarily mean you get faster every day. One or two sub-standard sessions aren’t worth worrying about too much.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you want a good comparison, repeat the first test, or repeat the rubber glove one later.

The missus just signed up for a uni trial on diet & exercise, she had to do the evaluation test as a dry run with pretending to take bloods and everything so that there are no surprises when she does it for the real test and they are both identical. It’s the best way to compare then as any flaws or bonus things are the same, and unless your using a power metre then it’s a number on the stick not a real reading.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yes, turbo resistance and tyre pressure the same, bike hasn’t been moved off the turbo. I realise its only virtual power, but I’m just after some kind of comparison and measure of improvement (if any). With the same set up each time, it should indicate improvement or not.

Both FTP sessions were done when I felt reasonably fresh and hadn’t done much at all for a few days.

Suppose the clue’s in the name “Sufferfest”… 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Both FTP sessions were done when I felt reasonably fresh and hadn’t done much at all for a few days.

But different FTP tests.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Should they not produce vaguely similar results though?? i.e. not 10-15% out?

Both were essentially warm up for however long and then 20minutes at maximum sutainable pace. The warm up sections are different but they are both 20minute tests at the end.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mtbtomo – Member
    Should they not produce vaguely similar results though?? i.e. not 10-15% out?

Both were essentially warm up for however long and then 20minutes at maximum sutainable pace. The warm up sections are different but they are both 20minute tests at the end.

1st rule of repeatable experiments is to keep the variables the same, they might produce the same result or they may not, the only way to tell is not to change any other parameters. The more things you change the more things you have to account for in your findings.

For example fad does the change in diet help or the fact you make people think about what they eat and exercise more?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Ok, should be using the same FTP test, but I’m so bothered whether its changed or not, more the fact the change has made the other sessions much tougher.

The Sufferfest one should still give an FTP value that is reasonable around which to base other sessions?

Were earlier sessions too easy? Or are sessions now too hard?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Trainerroad and setting FTP with Sufferfest – Rubber Glove’ is closed to new replies.