Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Train to trail Cycle path.
  • bruneep

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-19442041

Not sure about that. Getting on a train with a manky bike soaking wet after a ride etc…

unklehomered
    Free Member

I do after rides round Ilkley/Long Preston area, knock the worst of it off and avoid rush hour etc.

devs
    Free Member

50k to consider whether it’s worth it or not? How much to think about lifting a spade?

poly
    Free Member

Fairy standard practice on the west highland line.

A bigger issue might be that the train service (I believe) only has space for 2 bikes. There are I think 9 trains a day arriving from the North (only 2 on a Sunday); 10 services from the south (16 ? on a sat but only 4 on a Sunday) – and many of those are outside the likely useful hours for a MTB visitor. At absolute maximum capacity therefore it could bring:

2 x [( 6 x 9)+2+(5×10)+16+ 4] = 252 visitors per week. Realistically there are already some cyclists using the trains (for MTB and other cycling), the hours of the trains won’t suit many, and the service won’t be full, especially in winter – and the Sunday service, is dreadful on MTB’s busiest day. £50k for a FEASIBILITY STUDY to bring at best 5000 visitors a year, and more likely 500 people a year. We’d be better offering them a free taxi to get there!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Train to trail Cycle path.’ is closed to new replies.