Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • Train drivers what do they do??
  • saladdodger
    Free Member

In a moment of obscure thought I wondered

ok so they move the train and control the speed and stop but

they do not –

Steer
    change lanes ( tracks )
    overtake
    negotiate roundabouts

please someone educate me

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I am train driver. I drive train.

Garry_Lager

Can’t underestimate the value of applying the brakes on a train.

It is a bit of a mystery profession though, I agree. It’s not something you really see on the TV or getting written about. Particularly freight train drivers. Who are these men of secrecy?

br
    Free Member

They have to know every inch of the line and are constantly reacting to signal/events/buzzers etc.

ivixxiv
    Free Member

It’s one of those jobs that unions like to make us think no one can do (like london underground “drivers”) the reality is trained monkeys could do it

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

They have to deal with Fayt controllers.

And occasionally pull down a little cord thingy that makes it go ‘toot-toot!’.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I know two train drivers… they happily admit that they are laughing all the way to the bank.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

the reality is trained monkeys could do it

Ah, so there’s hope of gainful employment for you yet! 😀

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Pretty much the same as me as a lorry driver. Listen to talk sport and radio two all day. Oh and pick ones nose.

nuke

Try this…

http://www.realrailway.com/en/enoshima/simulator.html

Tricky to time the braking for the platform….well I overran

allthegear
    Free Member

I thought lorry drivers murdered prostitutes? *

*obviously, not really – it’s a Jeremyism…

Rachel

hels
    Free Member

Perhaps Cameron and co could replace them all with volunteers then ?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I think a train drivers job is slightly more complicated than a tube driver. Train drivers gradually speed up and gradually slow down. Tube drivers obviously have a button to go and a button to stop. These both work at ‘full’ only

IanMunro
    Free Member

They have to know every inch of the line and are constantly reacting to signal/events/buzzers etc.

You can train pigeons to do that.

khani
    Free Member

Pretty much the same as me as a lorry driver. Listen to talk sport and radio two all day. Oh and pick ones nose.

That’s not fair, I was a lorry driver for eighteen years, you underestimate us,
    While driving a 38 tonner i can eat a four course Chinese banquet while rolling a tab, tuning the radio, making a phone call AND murdering a prostitute, takes practise you know…….

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I think they ****, text, eat Ginsters, do YouTube and the strike when there ability to ****, text, eat Ginsters, do YouTube is threatened.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

That’s not fair, I was a lorry driver for eighteen years, you underestimate us,
    I can eat a four course Chinese banquet while rolling a tab, tuning the radio, making a phone call AND murdering a prostitute, takes practise you know…….

I am a lorry driver and I can do all of that whilst sleeping at the wheel.

khani
    Free Member

See SEE!! Train drivers, PAH!! I’ve shit em!!

saladdodger
    Free Member

still not sure what they do

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Drive train.

trout
    Free Member

I think they drive the train so you IT bods can get to your office to drive your computers .

aP
    Free Member

They have very restrictive D&A policies…..

Pook

what do those beeps you hear in the carriages mean?

brakes
    Free Member

train drivers are required to slow down, or even stop if there’s a bit of a breeze, if it might rain a bit later, or if there might be a leaf on the track within a 300 mile radius

allthepies
    Free Member

Dont’t know but apparently it’s worth > £35K per annum, very stressful you know 🙄

stanfree
    Free Member

I’m a freight train driver and apart from getting up at Dark O’clock , working almost every weekend , adhering to Drugs and Alcohol , shite shifts , Not to mention shunting In all kinds of weathers and keeping the nations Power , refuse , steel and infrastucture going . We dont do much . 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Stanfree; shh! This is a thread for people who know absolutely f-all about what being a train diver really entails, to pretend that they do. And to also insult and demean those that actually do the job, in order to feel a little bit better about themselves. Don’t spoil their fun!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

what do those beeps you hear in the carriages mean?

A text message has been received by one of them there newfangled mobile telephone gadgets.

stanfree
    Free Member

Sorry about that , Aye we dont even have to steer the bloody thing and get paid bucket loads… 🙄 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

they drive trains TSY is on song tonight
    My mate had to quit being a postie due to stress and then got a job as a train drfiver so it is less stressful than being a postie
    D & A is severe though

allthepies
    Free Member

D & A is severe though

Yup, the days of being able to drive a train whilst whacked off your t*ts has long since gone 👿

brakes
    Free Member

so, I gather from this thread that train driving involves:
    – driving trains
    – antisocial hours, sometimes
    – not being drunk/ stoned
    – driving trains

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

– driving trains.

househusband

stanfree – don’t you get to play Nintendo as you, allegedly, drive..? 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s like Liquid Poetry. 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

We have an editer in our midst… 😯

stanfree
    Free Member

Get with the programme Andy , It’s a Psp. 😀

househusband

😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

……less stressful than being a postie

Well that’s not surprising

And them trolleys don’t steer themselves. Here’s one what crashed into a lampost. Probably

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Train drivers what do they do??’ is closed to new replies.