Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Train derailment for the train buffs
  • project
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr5EztEPJS8[/video]

Thankfully it wasnt a main line and nobody got hurt.

wwaswas

i suppose the level of some of the comments this has been attracting are down to the fact that it’s now featured on the Huffington Post UK under ‘Comedy’ with predictable facetious remarks.

So was the reason that there? was an interlocking fault, then, and he was authorised to pass the signal at danger?

🙂

samuri
    Free Member

How do you fix that then? A big crane?

allthepies
    Free Member

Well I doubt they’ve going to have Hollywood movie moguls on the blower looking for film rights.

The train does nowt for the first 40s of that vid, I WANT ACTION!

project
    Free Member

Big crane or a load of wedges to lift the train back to rail level and a big tug from another engine to pull it back onto the rails

Drac

That was pretty exceedingly dull I was expecting something much more than a train sitting still for best part of a minute before bumping off the track.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Hmmm, the unused points should have been locked I guess.

wwaswas

This one’s quite impressive in a D’oh! kind of way.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YfUHt53CaE[/video]

Drac

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXuCoQ3oQXc[/video]

There that’s better.

wwaswas

blimey, that’s all a bit frantic.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Yep, much better Drac

That first one was more of a Flounce than anything else!

unklehomered
    Free Member

No visible wild gesticulation or alarm in the signal box…

Northwind

wwaswas – Member

This one’s quite impressive in a D’oh! kind of way.

Quick! Send more trains!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The Quorn derailment was at the catch points – their whole purpose it to derail an out of control train and prevent it getting onto the main line. Someone didn’t have them set correctly!!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Nothing to do with setting the points correctly.
    The driver of the kettle was given authorisation to pass a signal at danger by the signalman (hence the long whistle before moving off), but failed to check that the road (points) was set correctly.
    It wasn’t, thus wheels in the dirt.

br
    Free Member

and you could see that the catch points were set…

or is that why they were videoing it?

IanMunro
    Free Member

This one quite impressed me.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YY4LUZubyE[/video]

project
    Free Member

another train crash

Whats the explosion betweeen the first coach and the rear of the loco at about 45 seconds, then the impact.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Well, at least it proves the trap points work.

Trap points are positioned where lines joins a main running line to divert runaway trains.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Could the puffer nutters not have just reversed that train back on to the rails?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

@ project – looks to me like something on a post to the side of the track, high speed film or some such?

allthepies
    Free Member

Looks like a flash gun from the side rather than explosion to me.

project
    Free Member

Lady Gresley – Member
    Could the puffer nutters not have just reversed that train back on to the rails?

Lady Gresley great grand daughter of the fameous Sir Nigel Greley, i presume .

As for the simpistic method of reversing a loco back onto the rails, there is firstly no way of steerring a loco, locos steer by following the rails and the flanges stop the loco and coaches derailing, then there needs to be a metal to metal interface, so the wheels can actually grip the rails due to the weight of the loco,if the rails are slippy, sand or small stones are usually put on the rails to increase grip.

peajay

A few years back I was in a class37 and we derailed the front bogie, the rails spread underneath us, managed to reverse back on, made a mess though, broke a few chairs and chewed the edge off the rail! Had to regauge the track and hold it together with tie bars in order to get out, not bad for a 105 ton loco!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Train derailment for the train buffs’ is closed to new replies.