Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • Train Addictions' Guide Groupings: flawed?
  • Blower
    Free Member

isn’t it that stopado was stating the grading facts more of uk trails

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

My guiding company uses the following:

Are you an STW weasel?
    Yes – you’re not invited; look elsewhere.
    No – come along, you’re fine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Interesting theory.

Fwiw i had a grand old time on my holiday with trail addiction.

Never filled in that form mind – just rocked up and rode my bike – was all dandy

They then split us into 2 groups and we rode our bikes some more

One group went an did tech stuff and the other group did less tech

bigjim

1) I refresh my what tyre for an Orange 5 in the alps thread every 2 minutes
    2) I regulary post pictures of my 160mm mince tank on stw
    3) I sometimes check stw for specific information and actually ride sometimes
    4) I just ride my bike
    5) I have lost interest now and am going to press send post

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Thing is, I don’t get the attraction of going to these places that split you into groups. What if you were shit but your mates good, or the other way round? I go on holiday to ride with mates and have a laugh, would be pissed if I was split off and put in another group.

It reminds me of the signs at funfairs ‘If you’re not as tall as Scrappy the Cowboy, you can’t go on this ride’

just replaced with ‘If you are incapable of riding over a wet root, you shouldn’t have wasted your money coming’

legend
    Free Member

Stopadoodledoo – Member
    Thing is, I don’t get the attraction of going to these places that split you into groups. What if you were shit but your mates good, or the other way round? I go on holiday to ride with mates and have a laugh, would be pissed if I was split off and put in another group.

It reminds me of the signs at funfairs ‘If you’re not as tall as Scrappy the Cowboy, you can’t go on this ride’

just replaced with ‘If you are incapable of riding over a wet root, you shouldn’t have wasted your money coming’

Do many people go on holiday with people of wildly varying abilities? I certainly wouldn’t plan to go on a guiding trip to somewhere like TA in that scenario. Of course, if there’s a group of six (or so) of you, you’ll get your own guide if you want so it wouldn’t matter.

Would everyone still have a laugh for a full week if they were having to tone down the riding massively to accommodate one rider, or if you were that rider and feeling out of your depth trying to keep up?

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Yes they do. I have a couple of mates whose ability on a bike differs greatly to others but the key point is that we are all mates; we go riding to have a laugh, not to be marginalised into different groups depending on ability. Sure, in the past we’ve been away in a larger group and at certain points will split into smaller ones so that people can ride the stuff they enjoy but on other days, we’ll all make compromises so we can stick together.

If there was six of you on a guided holiday and one got split off into another group, you wouldn’t see them until the evening and then the conversation would be along the lines of ‘We all had a proper laugh today, rode some proper mint trails, dicked about. What about you?’

‘I got stuck with a bunch of Dutch blokes in lycra who hardly spoke a word of English and only wanted to ride the Teacup Trail all day. Can I go home now?’

A bit of an over-exaggeration but you see my point?

grum
    Free Member

The average Hebden descent is steeper/harder than the average Lake District descent IMO so it’s fair enough. Yes there is much gnarlier stuff in the Lakes if you seek it out…

ampthill

Stopadoodle

Similarly, if you just want to ride with your mates or partners, even if you do have to wait for them now and again, then we certainly won’t be the ones to stop you. You are on holiday, after all – and the number one priority is having fun!

It seems they let you choose, shock horror

alpin
    Free Member

heard of the Singletrail Skala?

it’s a little like rock climbing scale. a bit nerdy, but lets people know what level they are at and if you say a certain trail has S4 sections, but mostly S2 then people know that they’ll be able to ride most of it.

i think it is a good way of summing up a skills level as most people can relate to it.

http://www.singletrail-skala.de/

click the Jack for google translation….

hora
    Free Member

Hebdens level with Fort Bill???

Parts of the Peaks are alot harder than Hebden too.

Weird. Who wrote this?

I’m not a level (but prob 1-3 8) ) I vary and I hate anything that groups, has formal groups or tries guaging us mountain bikers.

Stick it up your arse trail feckers.

Northwind

Stopadoodledoo – Member

You can choose to ride with your mates, or you can choose to ride at your level. It’s not that complicated! What the guides are doing is avoiding throwing you in too deep, or landing you with some stranger who can barely ride, it’s in nobody’s interest. All just common sense.

I’ve been on a holiday with a company that didn’t do groups and you know what? It’s pretty stupid.

grum
    Free Member

Hebdens level with Fort Bill???

Have you ridden the WC track at Fort William hora? It’s not actually that scary for the most part. Obviously it’s very hard to ride it like the pros do.

Bit hard to compare ‘Hebden’ which is a place with lots of trails, and one track at Fort William. If you ride cheeky there’s some terrifying stuff in Hebden.

Blower
    Free Member

cheeky Lakes is hard too or Peaks.

hora
    Free Member

Never been to Fort Bill. Alot of Hebden is cheeky? Would love to be shown anything that I dont know/tried

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Anyway, as interesting a side discussion as the whole guided group thing is, the main point remains that their trail classification guide is a load of bollocks. I wonder if Hebden Bridge would be up there if Singletrack weren’t based there?

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

There is terrifying stuff in lots of places. As mentioned before, why is Hebden singled out when, apparently, the Lakes, etc., are taken as an average? Should we all aspire to ride Hebden to achieve the hallowed TA Level Six grade? Bullshit.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

TrailAddiction won’t arbitrarily split you up from your mates (even) if there’s a wild difference in abilities.

They were excellent the year we went, and most of the groups that came together rode together, or they paired up similar groups of friends on ability.

But I’ve been on other holidays where the level of riding has been a shock to some people, even on the more basic trails. I was just happy not to be at the back 😉

hora
    Free Member

Its all good. Alles klar.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Nevis red is a techy trail. The harder slabs on Lagan black are damn tricky, as hard as anything I attempted and failed at in Sierra Nevada or Molini. I will manage a clean run before I die but I only visit once a year at best. It’s a long way from SW England!

DenDennis
    Free Member

pinhead
    Free Member

All that way to ride a trail centre (laggan)
    Far more challenging stuff closer ya feel me?
    Cheeky hebden cheeky lakes cheeky peaks sort it out

hora
    Free Member

Thing is one of the best cheeky bits isnt even cheeky. Its unclassified leading into a bridleway…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This is what they really need, out on the table over dinner night 1 during the get to know you session, this is what this thread is about isn’t it?

hora
    Free Member

No because someone who can ride big wont be able to fight, write poetry or make love for toffee. Seen the pro’s? 😉 😆

They look like overgrown children.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Once again, another person has missed the point completely. I was talking about trail classifications in the UK, not rider classifications but I suppose that wouldn’t have led to the inclusion of your funny ruler joke, would it?

As far as I can see, only bland has been doing virtual press-ups on the beach in this thread.

wrecker
    Free Member

this is what this thread is about isn’t it?

That’s only a 12″ rule 😉

peterfile
    Free Member

That’s only a 12″ rule

That reminds me a joke…

A captain wanders into the mess one evening to find his crew all shouting and cheering while huddled round the table.

They all go quiet when the captain arrives;

“What the hell are you lot doing!? What are all these lines on the table?!” he demands to know

Sheepishly one of the crew replies “We’re, erm, measuring all our willies to see who has the biggest captain”

All the crew look at their feet nervously, expecting the captain to be mad

“Ha! Well, give me that chalk and I’ll show you boys what your captain’s made of!”

With that, the captain takes the chalk, whips down his pants, leans against the table and draws a line.

Delighted that his line is the furthest from the edge by a small margin, he declares himself the winner.

The other sailors look sheepish again;

“Erm, we were measuring from the other side of the table captain”

🙂

scruff
    Free Member

Legend- she only won the whip-off contest, we won the lets not break our bikes contest.

ampthill

When I first read the Trail Addiction levels I thought they were a deliberate mickey take

Regardless of technicality or exposure, I can descend any almost any trail generally conceived as ‘rideable’ WITHIN my comfort zone / safely.

I thought that was quite a bold statement. I wondered if the 2 locations were

Fort Bill I really do this for a living

Or Hebden Bridge code for I spend a lot of time on forums

The sea captain story is inconclusive

nickc

Once again, another person has missed the point completely. I was talking about trail classifications in the UK,

Just like you have “missed the point completely” about the function of the grading that you’re complaining about.

Everyone’s a winner

RustySpanner

I’ve been riding in Hebden for years.

That bit of towpath behind the sewage farm was properly dangerous a few years ago – someone could have fallen off on that and got a nasty graze.

Cheers, Pete.
    2.5 and quite happy with it.

hora
    Free Member

I know all the standard stuff in Hebden, riverbed, chipps, kebab st, Bluepig, that steps-turning bit up from blue pig and down the face/from the top of Heptonstall but I’m sure there are bits that I’m missing? 🙁

Northwind

Stopadoodledoo – Member

Once again, another person has missed the point completely. I was talking about trail classifications in the UK,

Well, if that’s the case why did you call the thread Trail Addiction’s Guide Groupings: Flawed? You seem to have missed your own point, which you’ve got to admit makes it hard to complain if other people do too.

Trail classification in general’s always a fudge, because difficulty depends on skillsets, there’s no one difficulty level.

RustySpanner

Hora, I”d be grateful if you showed us round sometime.

I’ve lived nearby for years and am embarrassed that I don’t know half of it.

peterfile
    Free Member

Trail classification in general’s always a fudge, because difficulty depends on skillsets, there’s no one difficulty level some people see it as a challenge to their masculinity/riding skills/home trails.

FTFY

Northwind

Hah. Yeah, that too.

legend
    Free Member

That more than anything! The first year we went there was a big group that were properly upset by Mrs L making them look like mincers!

scruff – Member
    Legend- she only won the whip-off contest, we won the lets not break our bikes contest.

That’s weird, when we were there she won the whip-off, but we won the lets not tumble down the side of the mountain on our face contest 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I may have missed your point due to obscurity but it was heading towards measuring & my trail is harder than your trail BS
    I was honest with my white room grading and was not disappointed.

I’m always wary of people who like to tell you how good they are or how hard their trails are…
    We did a mega trip where 2 guys were going on about how tough and gnarly everything was, the guy guiding/running it said “You should see the lakes” he had just been taken for a locals special tour the week before 🙂

theprawn
    Free Member

this thread is really special.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Train Addictions' Guide Groupings: flawed?’ is closed to new replies.