Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Trails near woodhead res
  • gizzymo
    Free Member

Apart from the obvious loop ride round the res and Dr/Cut Gate are there any trails in the moors between? Woodhead area. Perhaps not on the map or hidden away?

We’ve been out exploring but all were find are dead end shooting tracks which end in the middle of the moors.

Maybe a cheeky trails over the pennine way from Crowden?

Garry_Lager

Coming down to Crowden from Laddow rocks is a route – v hard in places. Didn’t have much fun with it on the whippet, but on a FS and with some practice could be great. The cut across from Chew res is wet – need a dry spell for that to be fully rideable, but it’s not that long anyhow. Coming from that direction the hills above Stalybridge and Mossley have good stuff, but you probably know about that.

Don’t know much about the Bleaklow area to the S – ticked off Drs Gate and that’s it. Pretty large expanse, looks good to explore if you can tolerate the hike-a-bike whilst you work the trails out.

richpips
    Free Member

I can’t recommend the PW heading S.

benman
    Free Member

Also interested in this. Done the descent from Alphin, and also the Laddow rocks descent (very tech!). Also done some stuff around Bleaklow.

Email in profile to chat about cheeky trails :o)

scuttler

Tragic accident last year when a bloke on a bike fell off Laddow and died so go steady.

mt
    Free Member

An that Bloke really knew how to ride a bike.

gizzymo
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice guys. Sad hearing of such a tragic accident. We will take extra care and have a walk up first.

Esme
    Free Member

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by “the obvious route”. The TPT on the south side of the reservoirs is pretty obvious, but the trail on the northern side is relatively new, and not obvious on my OS maps.
    It was created primarily for horse riders – hence the name Northern Horse Route
    And more info, from the TPT website

BadlyWiredDog

The Northern Horse route’s okay on a cross bike, but not particularly interesting, though it’s occasionally quite atmospheric. Good luck with the Laddow descent down to Crowden, I think you’d need to be a very, very good rider to manage most of that. And yeah, the track runs along the top of the crag is very exposed.

I’m guessing the ‘obvious loop’ means the obvious trails on either side of the reservoirs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Trails near woodhead res’ is closed to new replies.