Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Trails near Rochester in Kielder forest?
  • Stevie-P
    Free Member

Off on holiday with the misses to Kielder in the next couple of weeks. The thing is we are staying in Rochester here somewhere, just off the A68 so the way marked trails near Kielder Castle are around 40 mins drive away. As much as I’d love to ride these I don’t think it’s feasible to drive 40 mins, ride the trail(s), drive 40 mins back and be back in time to spend the day with the misses.

I know the forest is pretty damn big and I’m guessing there must be trails on the east of the A68 (or closer west) or near by where we are staying. Does anyone know of anything?

I’m looking for some XC stuff so that I can get 1-1.5hr training loop in early in the day and be back for around 9:30/10 so ideally riding from the door.

teethgrinder

Not far from the in laws, but I’ve never ridden up there. There’s plenty on fire road in the ranges but not sure there’s any trails in the woods.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Probably some bridle ways near by, though best ask a local not been up there in a while but used downloads of d of E stuff up round Harbottle etc.

br
    Free Member

tbh if you’re staying in Rochester everywhere is a drive, to anything…

Get a 1:25000 OS map and see what bridleways are around.

Not been funny but you do know it’s a tiny village with nothing for miles around on a main road?

STATO
    Free Member

The forest drive is still closed for winter to cars, but you can still ride it. So only ~16miles to kielder from where you are staying. That said there are lots of forest roads in there anyway so lots of gravel riding options if you just want to do miles in the morning.

There is always Rothbury which is close and lots of riding there, Alwinton too.

STATO
    Free Member

Alwinton.

Rothbury.

Byrness, not done this but its on your doorstep so may be worth more research.

Also, just realised you are just off Dere Street, an old roman road, which you could use to make a good loop around to Alwinton.

Generally though all these are natural(ish) trails, no man-made all weather surfaces or trail signs, so it will likely be muddy even on a nice day.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Not been funny but you do know it’s a tiny village with nothing for miles around on a main road?

Good choice of location. In the middle of nowhere, no technology, away from the hustle and bustle of daily life with plenty of scope for long days in the hills.]

Fixed that for you 😉

Thanks everyone, I’ll have a dig around on some maps and hopefully put something together.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Trails near Rochester in Kielder forest?’ is closed to new replies.