Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Trails near Lochinver
  • hardtailonly

Heading up beyond Lochinver (Clachtoll to be precise, NW coast of Scotland) in a few days and wondered whether there are any decent trails around there. Probably looking to take my CX bike (to double-up on road / family towing duties) but could be persuaded to take the MTB instead if there is awesome singletrack and / or techy trails …

13thfloormonk

For a fairly epic circuit you could take the track that runs north of Suilven between Lochinver and Elpin. This starts as good quad track and gradually fades to rocky singletrack. I tried to ride it with full backpacking gear and it defeated me in places. Once you’re over the hump the descent and trail to Elphin is pretty cool, some slab rock covered in boulders but with a clear path sort of ‘swept’ through the middle of them, then some lochside singletrack around the north shore of Cam Loch.

The return leg from Elphin would skirt the south short of Cam Loch on tarmac then head up to the SW of the loch on singletrack (marked on the map, I’ve never ridden it). You then enter an area of wee lochans. I’ve walked through it during a heatwave and a lot of it definitely looked rideable. I’d be though that during typical conditions it might be a bit soggy. Aim for the NW end of Fionn Loch and then head west to find the trail that descends past the Falls of Kirkaig. Check out the falls then enjoy the descent on good trail 8)

A final hilly 5km haul on road back to Lochinver.

Probably best on the MTB but the CX would be handy as I’ll bet there’s a few km of pushing and carrying in there 😉

NewRetroTom

The “out” section of the loop that 13thfloormonk describes is part of the Highland Trail, and is notorious for being one of the toughest sections of what is a pretty tough route!

The return leg sounds less rideable.

I have a feeling you may end up cursing 13thfloormonk if you attempt that route!

timidwheeler

The track described above delivers some stunning scenery. (I wouldn’t try it on a CX bike though.) The whole area is gorgeous.

tjagain

I’ve walked some of that path. IMO for the hardened wild country mtber / masochist. check the trails on geograph? Stunning awesome scenery tho
    For example

Track on north side of Loch na Gainimh

roverpig

I did the “north of Suilven” track on the fatbike last year as an out and back. Didn’t get as far as Elpin, just as far as I fancied then turned back. It was a miserable day (low cloud and drizzle) but I still remember it as one of the best rides of last year. The track is great in places. There is also a track that takes you north from Lochinver via Ardroe to Achmelvich beach then on up the coast, which I did as part of the same trip as we were staying up that way. That was also fun in places, although less dramatic than the Suilven track.

zinaru
    Free Member

Another thing to consider at this time of year in that part of the world… Midges!!!

13thfloormonk

I have a feeling you may end up cursing 13thfloormonk if you attempt that route!

😀 Possibly, it needs a sense of humour and good shoes for walking in perhaps.

But then…

Edit: Plus, you can see most of the trail from space! (Google Maps satellite anyway) so what could go wrong?

scotroutes

The Arkle Loop. Also known as the top bit of the HT550.

chickenman

Hope you’ve booked somewhere to stay at Clachtoll. NC500 has turned this quiet backwater into something resembling Cornwall on a bank holiday weekend.

whitestone
    Free Member

Don’t try the “track” marked on the map that leads north from Suileag bothy – it makes the Ledmore Traverse (Glen Canisp track) seem benign. 😯

As far as the Ledmore Traverse goes, if you’ve Plus sized or fat tyres then it’s a lot more rideable, generally though it’s frustrating as a lot of the ground is covered in rocks that are about a wheel diameter apart – it’s like someone put square wheels on your bike when you weren’t looking! It was described to me as 95% rideable to where the Suilven path cuts right then 95% unrideable. I’ve done it twice this year – I must be a glutton for punishment.

The track that Roverpig mentions is also part of the Highland Trail but does it N-S, i.e. starting at Achmelvich and finishing in Lochinver. You could do it as an out and back or take the road to here and ride back along it. (Edit – seen you are at Clachtol so you’d ride it N-S from there)

The Arkle or Bealach Horn loop is well worth doing. Don’t do the HT550 bit from West Merkland Lodge but park at the walker’s car park at Achfary/Lone and take the track that heads NE from Lone to Gobernuisgach Lodge then up Glen Golly, keep left at Lochan Sgeirach to pass beneath An Dubh Loch, up to Bealach Horn and a long fast rocky track back to Lone. This loop is in the Wild Trails vol 2 book. I’ve a GPX of it as well that I did for someone else on here following a similar thread.

One loop that I’ve done part of (again as part of the HT550) is a loop between Kylestrome and Achfary, Along the main road from Kylestrome to Duartmore Bridge and take the old stalkers path towards Ben Stack. At the junction turn right and head down Strath Stack to Achfary. Along the road to Lochmore Lodge, turn off at the cattle grid on your right and follow the track up to Bealach nam Fiann. You’ve then over 5km of fast descent to Loch Glendhu and back to the start.

I’ve not been on the track marked between Glenleraig and Tumore that runs under Quinag.

Re: the NC500. This is making things very busy. I have been up in the North West for the last few days. A restaurant owner in Ullapool was saying that there were essentially no free rooms for the summer apart from cancellations. The singletrack roads are a pain as few of the drivers know how to use the passing places so that neither car has to stop.

scotroutes

Official stats say there’s 10% more traffic on the roads. However I suspect it’s more “peaky” than before.

whitestone
    Free Member

You could well be right there Colin. I left Thurso at 0830 and drove to Durness, just steady with stops to take photos, and saw maybe a dozen cars. From Durness to Laxford Bridge I used every other passing place! Almost by accident I drove all of the NC500 anti-clockwise this week (I was ticking off Munros), I’m thinking it’s the better direction as you are driving towards the spectacular views 🙂

scotroutes

Aye but the East Coast section is better heading South too. Many of my customers are amazed at how lovely it can be – even though they’ve just cycled up the same road 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Trails near Lochinver’ is closed to new replies.