Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Trails in Wales for a 7 year old?
  • honourablegeorge

Any suggestions? Will be roughly in the Coed-y_Brenin area but wanting to avoid too much of a drive. He flies up hills, but long, sustained climbs take the fun out of it for him a bit, and I don’t want him too taxed coming down on wee 16″ wheels

Thought about the Marin, doing the little climb from the carpark and the descent there a few times (is the descent too much?)…. maybe the easier trails at Llnandegla?

Any other suggestions?

poey50
    Free Member

The green route at Brechfa Forest has to be one of the very best easy routes in the country.

honourablegeorge

Bit too far south, unfortunately – six hour round trip.

oldejeans
    Free Member

MinorTaur loop 1 at CyB is one of my fave bits of trail, anywhere. Loop 2 and 3 didn’t add a huge amount but it’s a good way for them to get the miles in.

I won’t take my 7yo on anything else at CyB / Marin / similar just yet

How about Lon Eifion? or any of the other sustrans routes in the area?

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/lon-eifion-caernarfon

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

If you fancy a nice ride to the seaside this is just south of CYB

Mawddach trail

funkrodent

MinorTaur loop 1 at CyB is one of my fave bits of trail, anywhere. Loop 2 and 3 didn’t add a huge amount but it’s a good way for them to get the miles in.

Yup, I’ll second that. Lovely blue route. Even has various cast iron Minotaurs dotted around the place (better than they sound) to keep the kids amused. Enough riding on the route to keep Dad’s attention as well.

If you fancy a nice ride to the seaside this is just south of CYB

Mawddach trail

Beautiful route, old railway track running along the estuary and finished with a ride across the mouth of the bay to Barmouth for ice-cream. very flat though and quite long..

From what I remember of the Marin it’s all quite technical (fire-road aside) and the final descents are quite steep and slippy. Some 7 yr olds are bombing DH tracks so it is all relative, but I’d think it’s too much for my lad.

Blue at Llandegla is a laugh, but it’s a hell of a climb for a kid to get to the top..

Penmachno?*

*joke 😛

honourablegeorge

Ta, all

CyB it is.

aracer
    Free Member

If MinorTaur is too easy, and you want a little bit more of a challenge (my 6yo asked to do something a bit harder next time, but I only worked this one out after that):

Loop 1 singletrack of MinorTaur, start on loop 2, then in a hundred metres or so there’s a tarmac road heading up the hill to the left. Walk (or ride if you’re feeling tough) up this to where the red route (Temtiwr, though I think it’s also part of various other routes) crosses it and turn right onto it. Is very tame for a red trail and great fun and spits you out at the end of MinorTaur loop 2. Then ride MinorTaur loop 3 (don’t ride Temtiwr from here – it goes on the road and much less fun than MinorTaur).

beiciwr64
    Free Member

If your’e coming from the North to CYB then you could check out the Marsh Tracks at Rhyl,they also have a bmx track.
    The foundry jump track at CYB is great fun on a 16 inch,kids spend all day there,check it out online,ithere are different level of tracks as well.
    You can then go down the last bit of beginning of the end segment,right next to the foundry,it’s called Glide on Strava,start at the other side of the Tarmac road and it ends up just below the centre,manageable on a 16,remember to keep left half way down or you’ll go down the Tarw,bit rough that one,also watch out for Strava junkies! 😯
    If he want to tackle red’s at CYB,he’d be better off on a 20 inch to be honest,no problems on the blue runs.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Another vote for the minortaur. Or… if you don’t mind travelling an hour, the Pendam at Nant-yr-Arian would be a good step up. And sectipns can be added/left out at will. Drop me an email (on profile) if you want more info on where to cut in and out.

BillOddie

I was at CyB with my 5 and 7 year olds last week.

The 7 year old LOVED the Minortaur!

The 5 year old was scared of the metal Minortaurs…

aracer
    Free Member

I rode ahead, hid behind them and roared when the kids came past. 6yo was very amused.

honourablegeorge

Notice I can demo the SC 5010 while I’m there.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

the easier trails at Llnandegla?

Got to say that I’m going through a phase of liking ‘degla because it’s been really good for the kids these last years. The green is (was? It’s been a while) pants because it’s too rough and steep at the beginning for the little wheels it’s supposedly intended for.
    The blue is more balanced and should be fine for 16″ wheels, though I’d suggest a tow for a couple of bits of the first climb.
    The Red is also good for a 7 yo if he’s in good form, but I have to admit that with 16″ wheels, maybe not.. Wait till they get gears.

MinorTaur loop 1 at CyB

Yep, Minortaur is really, really good if the kid is at that stage.

I wouldn’t recommend the Mawdach route personally, long flat and dull. But it that floats your boat then nice scenery.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Trails in Wales for a 7 year old?’ is closed to new replies.