Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Trails in the UK with proper switchbacks?
  • johnny

So it’s looking like my usual jolly off to the Alps is off the card this summer, so I’m planning a UK based week.

This is fine by me, but the one thing (apart from the sheer scale of riding)is the lack of proper switchback trails- you know the big long, tight rocky descents, as in the Alps/Molini, etc….

Anyone have any hints of big days out in the UK (preferably lakes) which take in such features? Please direct me to similar threads if it’s been done before…!

scruff
    Free Member

Find something as steep as possible and make some.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Dollywagon
    Rossett Ghyll
    Langstrathdale
    NanBield

Only a few sets at a time but then – it’s not the alps

JonEdwards
    Free Member

There’s plenty about the place, but largely they’re on cheeky trails, so you’ll only find them with local knowledge.

dunmail
    Free Member

The Postman’s path heading to Reinigedale on Harris – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGgDN9JpN8M

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

those on harris are really tough! switchbacks with big drops on them, and big drops to the water below too…

tonyd

Not the lakes, and certainly not the Alps, but the Rangers Path on Snowdon has a few.

ajantom

Other end of the country but Cardinham Woods in Cornwall has a couple of sections with tight rocky switchbacks. Why not take a trip to the Southwest? Lots of epic riding on a Dartmoor, Quantocks, etc.

alpin
    Free Member

this is just behind the Nation Wide in Swindon….

[video]http://vimeo.com/58731630[/video]

gregwaring
    Free Member

There is a challenging looking set on stakes pass, on the descent towards borrowdale. Was pushing/carrying up them the other weekend when going the other way towards langdale.

Mega tight (looks like endo turns mandatory in places) with bonus decent sized drops off one side of the hill if you mess up, and loose gravelly surface in places. Not very rocky though, but definitely heading on for alpine standard and i’d guess something like 20-30 switchbacks on the trail?

enigmas
    Free Member

Gawton in Devon is a great alpine training ground imo, you’ve got the two flowy reds with lots of berms and jumps, and then the two blacks with lots of steep, tight switchbacks. Egypt especially, has dozens of them. A couple of uplift days there also gets your body used to the bettering it’ll take in the alps! 🙂

johnny

Some good ideas here thanks! Most switchback stuff I thought would be cheeky trails- which I’m ok with… Happy to be shown about with local knowledge…?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Trails in the UK with proper switchbacks?’ is closed to new replies.