Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Trails in Bend, Oregon…
  • ScotlandTheScared

Me and Mrs STS are off to Oregon soon and we will spend a few days in Bend, which I hear is pretty nifty for biking. Any of you lot have recommendations for:

1) Where to hire bikes

2) Any particular trails or routes to try

Cheers,
    STS

cp

Jealous. It’s years ago since I lived in Oregon, but I still miss it!

There are loads of trails, and a great local riding scene. You could probably turn up at one of the bike shops and hook up with people to show you stuff.

muddyground
    Free Member

Just turn up, hire a bike and use Phil’s Trail to start with. The bits I did weren’t too techy but the scenery made up for it. Just convinced the wife to take me there for my 50th – love that place ;¬)

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Check out Cog Wild.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Speak to Don Leet at Sunnyside Sports, he’s your man. He regularly visits Scotland too, so he knows the stuff we ride too.

http://www.sunnysidesports.com/

There are miles of single track around Bend. I’d also try and visit Oakridge. It’s not at all like Bend, it’s an old logging town, but the trails there are fantastic. Check out the Alpine trail on YouTube. I also rode around Waldo Lake which is about a twenty five mile single track trail.

Oakridge Bike Shop & Willamette Mountain Mercantile LLC

Be aware that trails lead far from civilization, so be prepared to be on your own.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Here you go, this is only a tiny part of the decscent. I remember a 13 mile fire road climb and a twenty something mile singletrack descent.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBWtgFt1wx8[/video]

muddyground
    Free Member

…having said all this, there is so much to see and do in Bend and environs, you’ll probably have little time for cycling. Astoria is also worth a trip, especially for the simple fun of chucking a balsa plane off the tower. If I had the cash I’d spend my life there. Mt St. Helens just over the border is also well worth the effort of getting to. Oregon is a wonderful state to visit and explore – good luck to you both.

ScotlandTheScared

Thanks folks. Are there decent maps of the trails do you know? Ideally want to do a loop so tempted by the idea of a tour around Waldo Lake that McMoonter mentioned…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Are there decent maps of the trails do you know?

Yes, the bike shops have them, there is also an REI in Bend. If you are flying into Portland, check it out too. Sisters is pretty nice, its about twenty miles north of Bend. Check out Crater Lake too, there is a road which runs around the top.

Oregon is probably the only place in the world I’d move to after Scotland.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Trails in Bend, Oregon…’ is closed to new replies.