Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Trails in Bath?
  • Fat-boy-fat

Hey there, I’m visiting Bath for the next few days and was going for a peddle tomorrow (Thursday). Some folk on a previous post recommended this ride (but truncated to take out some riding on the road) or I was thinking about the Mendips.

http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTYyNDc=

Any other ideas or thoughts out there? It looks like there are a couple of other rides (Lansdown Loop and something to the South) from t’Internet but I’ll be on my lonesome and I’ll need something fairly foolproof.

tinybits
    Free Member

That’s a nice loop although a little muddy (and some of it bloody steep!)

If you’re feeling fit, after you do the downhill from Conkwell, you’ll come out onto the canal towpath. Go straight over the A36 and up the footpath straight opposite (don’t worry it’s a footpath, everything else on that route is but this one is too steep to ride!) and you’ll pop out at the top of Brassknocker hill. Turn right, go to the university. Go through the university and to the golf course beyond. ride around the edge of the golf course and you’ll see some tracks off into the woods, dropping down. Follow these, these are fun. It’ll throw you out onto the A36.
    If you’re not feeling fit, at the same point, follow the sustrains bike patch blue signs away from Bath and you’ll link into he two tunnels, which although on road, is nicer than a wet canal path as well as having musical, illuminated tunnels on it.

Fat-boy-fat

Cheers tinybits.

MrAgreeable

The Browns/Conkwell loop is a good ‘un, although it’s highly cheeky so be nice to any walkers you meet. It’ll also be very greasy at the moment.

If you want to tack on a bit more steep, techy riding, you can head north at the end of Batheaston high street. Aim for Hollies Lane and it’ll take you to the top of a fun, mega-steep byway off the back of an old airfield.

Lansdown is more weatherproof than most of the stuff around Bath but the riding isn’t particularly exciting. Lovely views though.

Fat-boy-fat

Cheers. I didn’t realise the route I’d linked was cheeky. I might give it a bit of a miss and head out to the Mendips instead then. That was my original plan but … the thought of not having to drive anywhere was appealing.

Gilles

Here the Lansdown/Charmy Down loop:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h4vQa1cDJQ[/video]

All on BWs as well and BWs are properly signposted as far as I remember. A map will help.

Fat-boy-fat

Cheers for that video. Might still stay local.

Fat-boy-fat

Bumpety bump for the evening crowd. The Mendips are winning at the mo.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Trails in Bath?’ is closed to new replies.