Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Trails in and around Braemar, Aberdeenshire
  • corundum
    Free Member

Hi all, looking for pointers for decent AM riding in and around Braemar, i know that Santa Cruz did a product launch up there back in June, and a lot the images that appeared as a result were shot descending Morrone from the mast. Does anyone know of any other trails/ descents of a similar nature in the area? We’re not adverse to epics either!

Cheers in advance!

Bruce

I have been to Ballater on my holidays for the past 9 years and it’s a really nice area although my riding is more pedestrian than AM. I would pop into the bike shop, cycle highlands and I am certain they will point you in the right direction. They are very helpfull, there is aslo lots of epic potential. PS if you are brave don’t miss the streak of lighting. Have a nice holiday

oli31
    Free Member

check out scolty woods in Ballater some great tracks up there most start from the monument on top of the hill and go south but seem to remember there being tracks all over the place : )

gonefishin
    Free Member

Scolty is in Banchory not Ballater and it’s a fair old way from Braemar or Ballater.

oli31
    Free Member

oops my bad : )

messiah
    Free Member

Many of my favourite rides are up that way. That Morrone loop is a good start and the climb is a fair test. Some people add in a loop up to Loch Callater first and use the obvious loop to the right down to the road before the hell climb to the mast.

The Ecurie Neep website has info on other routes up there including the Green Mile at Ballater and the big mountain Beinn a Bhuird and Loch Muick loops/epics.

Loads of other stuff if your willing to explore. Some searching on here should be inspiring; such as Sanny’s mountain thread or the epic Cairngorm thread from a few years ago.

Sanny
    Free Member

Beinn a Bhuird and Ben Avon.

Glen Derry.

Ben MacDui.

The Green Mile.

Lochnagar including Glas Alt.

Fords of Avon circuit.

There’s a lot of big mountain trail to be ridden.

Have a look at the Ecurie Neep website for route ideas. 😀

messiah
    Free Member

Hi Sanny 😉

flatfish
    Free Member

Tagging this as I’m off to Ballater in a week and a half.

P20

A couple from a years back. The 2nd one involves wading back across from memory

Morrone & Callater Map by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

Dogtour09 Map by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

chickenman

Loop from Invercauld Bridge over Lochnager (from Balmoral estate)to ascend Lochnager from the south (up the Glas allt Sheil path). West over the two other Munros to descend from Carn an T-Aigart Mor either northwards or the topnotch descent to Loch Callater. Add the Morrone loop as a warm down(!)
    9 Munros in a day loop: Loch Callater up to Claise via Turc. Eastwards to pick up Tolmount and Tom Bhuide. Southwards on tiny tracks (just visible on Google Earth) to Driesh and Mayer. Kilbo descent to Glen Doll before following Glen Clova via Bachnagairn to Broad Cairn. Knock off Banoch and C an T-A Mor and descent to Callater. Needs good visibility and dry conditions.

13thfloormonk

Clais Fhearnaig between Glen Quoich and Glen Derry was a fun wee line I found a few years ago, it provides a good link if you want to ride from Glen Derry and through to Glen Slugain. I guess you could turn this into a nice Beinn a’Bhuird/Ben Avon epic.

Also, there’s an excellent wee camp site on the landrover track leading from Clais Fhearnaig to Glen Quoich.

corundum
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info guys, alot to work with there, the route maps were especially informative. Pointing me in the right direction to Sanny’s posts was quite inspiring too, thats the sort of riding we were thinking. I’ve ridden a few of the lochnagar routes before but not managed to venture past Ballater yet so definitely going to do something in the next few weeks.

Thats a definite epic you’ve listed chickenman, what were your timings approx for that loop, i’ve walked driesh and mayar from glen clova but never considered as part of a ride from the other side so to speak. I remember thinking the trail back to the car park would be well worth a ride!

chickenman

Corundum: Ride was 9 hours in total. Walked to the top of Turc+ Driesh (very summit of Bannoch)and rather too much hike-a-bike above Bachnagairn. I actually didn’t do the summit of C an T Mor as I’d done it twice recently (5 mins away). missed the path south at Finalty Hill(should have gone right to the very top),but apart from that the riding on the plateau was really good. The descent of the ridge left of Kilbo looks a good option for those not keen on a Garda 601 experience.
    The ride up Beinn a Bhuird from Quoich is excellent, though I left the bike to walk up Ben Avon(thought riding back down would rip the path to pieces; have wondered about crossing Avon to descend towards Tomintoul though).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Trails in and around Braemar, Aberdeenshire’ is closed to new replies.