• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by poah.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Trails – Best descending bang for the best ascending buck?
  • akasteve
    Free Member

For example, went to llandegla at the weekend and for me the Black, Red and Blue trails just don’t have the downs to justify the ups – although the Blue is close.
    Cannock seems to get it about right in the low lands, all the trails at Glentress too on higher ground and most of the trails out of Hope or Edale in the Peak get it pretty much spot on also.
    I’ve done uplift days so understand there’re trails where I don’t even have to ride uphill but sometimes toiling away uphill makes the downhills seem slightly more satisfying.
    So with Spring/ Summer fast approaching(please fast approach good weather!!), where are we going, what do you recommend?

jekkyl

you’re right with peak district natural rides.

tomnavman
    Free Member

Cwm Rhaeadr has to be up there?

chiefgrooveguru

It is weird how much the return on climbing varies from trail to trail. There’s a funny little bit of singletrack near my house which is 1-2 minutes of apparent descending but the climb back up seems so small – I think it’s because there are some quite intense climbs in the middle of it but it’s very off-camber so you’re so focused on not falling down the hill that you don’t really notice them.

I have to admit I like Llandegla but when we were there recently it was the third day of a trip and the first without uplift so I was probably enjoying the novelty of pedalling! One of my friends was not at all happy with the climbs though, was positively furious with the place once we got back to the car park…

davosaurusrex

I don’t remember the fireroad climb for the final cli-machx descent at Machynlleth being too bad, do remember loving the descent and being done in after 3 goes. Rest of it was a bit meh though

akasteve
    Free Member

Yep, that Cwm Rhaeadr looks good, I’ll deffo try and fit that in perhaps as a day one or two while riding elsewhere.
    I seem to remember Coed-y-Brenin being a nice balance as well.
    Afan W2 is another route that in my minds eye doesn’t have the balance quite right.
    I’m not averse to giant mountainous stuff either, this year I need to get into the lakes as well. Anybody know anything out there with a good uphill to downhill quota?
    I reckon even Hike a Bike trails could be enjoyable if A. There’s not too much walking, B. The quality of the surroundings outweighs the annoyance and C. the descent is worth it.

RobHilton
    Free Member

2nd the climachx, the short-cut is a bit steep, but the descent was so much fun. Not quite as good after logging IMO.

Blue at Blaegarw takes it I reckon – piece of piss climb and nice little swoopy descent. Very short mind – can be done in 10 mins

scaredypants

Only been once and it was a while ago but

The climb at Afan (well, prob from Glyncorrwg really) was about the best climb I’ve done. Not just a slog but not ded steep either. Was it Whites?

You could then come pretty much straight back down a good descent (maybe the end of the skyline?)

The idea was to use the climb for a much longer ride I’m sure but it was a nice finisher to the day

I know there was loads of felling/strippng went on there since then and it may have been destroyed

ahwiles
    Free Member

My short local loop.

About 14k, 2 good long descents. More than 15mins of descending, and about 5minutes of climbing.

I can never figure out how that works!

kiksy
    Free Member

I always thought the blue (?) Verderers last decent at FOD was excellent value. 12mins climb, and then 7mins of good speed fun on the way down. I think its because there are a few flat/slight uphill pedals but you seem to keep your speed well from the previous decent.

chakaping
    Free Member

Beginning of the end at CyB, often ride up to do it again when we finsh a loop.

jakd95
    Free Member

Not a big fan of how many climbs Llandegla seems to have for the downs you get. Much prefer my local natural riding around the Long Mynd. Winch up for ~30/40 minutes then get rewarded with loads of choice of long singletrack descents. I am absolutely in love with the place, such good riding, way better than I can easily get to out of my door (while at uni) in Leeds.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Cwm Rhaeadr is good value, short, easy climb and a great descent.

Of course the last Km of the climb is absolute hell, but we’ll forget that 😉

Terry’s Belly at BPW is another if you’re not on the bus, as long as you can live without the first KM or so, which is half uphill anyway. 15mins from the carpark to the start of the trail proper – I’m sure it takes longer to come down.

richardkennerley

Whinlatter’s not too bad, plus there’s a short cut to the north descent

poah
    Free Member

anything with an uplift lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Trails – Best descending bang for the best ascending buck?’ is closed to new replies.