Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Trails at Thetford
  • strawb3110
    Free Member

Visiting Thetford Forest this weekend, what are the trails like there and any recommendations if more than one to ride?

toby1

It’s been a while since I’ve been. There are the standard FC trails from High Lodge, however, if you are visiting by car it’s cheaper by a long margin to park at the Brandon country park car park (it has a cafe and loo too) then either seek out the cheeky (aim for the Mayday twichers hut and take a left after you have passed it if I recall correctly) or head across the road back to the waymarked stuff.

It’s fun for a spin and by that I mean there is no downhill so you will almost always be pedalling, it drains quite well although some areas under the trees remain quite boggy and it can be sandy in places too. It’s not the sort of place you’d rave about to your mates though.

cheers_drive

There are 2 red trails – the Beater and Lime Burner – neither are a real red with the exception of the Beast section on Lime Burner. The Beater holds up much better to the weather and is rarely muddy, do the longer route and it take 50-60mins. Lime Burner is shorter and has several areas that area little boggy under the trees, the Beast is worth doing a few times via the marked shortcut.
    The off piste stuff on the Brandon side of the road is good but hard to navigate, if you follow the blue trail you should see some of the trails going off it.
    It’s fast a twisty with constant pedalling, bimble around and it’s boring so if you have a choice bring an XC bike.

mtbfix

Worth buying a trail map. All the fire roads are numbered and listed on the map so if you decide to try the off piste stuff you can find your way home.

Mbnut
    Free Member

https://www.facebook.com/groups/14732281698/

Timber are the local mtb group. I went out with them one evening when working up there and had a good ride.

Might be worth seeing if you can get a guide for the off piste stuff.

As mentioned above… speed is your friend, it makes the trails great fun.

windyg
    Free Member

As above speed is the key at Thetford, it’s not technical but can be real fun with a few riders going at a good pace, off piste is better as it’s all natural trails but some of the best bits are hard to find without a guide, there is also Santon Downham which is very much like Brandon with some good bomb holes to play about in.

bikerider007
    Free Member

Hi there just been out and about in thetford forest….(i live local)
    i am willing to show anyone round,,,,
    just message me
    names Logan..

butterbean
    Free Member

Take a cross bike. Anything else, you will overbiked.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Trails at Thetford’ is closed to new replies.