Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Trails at Badaguish near Aviemore
  • fraseruk
    Free Member

Has anyone got a map or gps tracklog of the trails at Badaguish?

I was up there a couple of years ago but had a local to show me round – there was lots of good technical stuff. I'm planning on heading up on my own this weekend and hoped to head back to the same area, but I'm not confident I'll be able to find the singletrack without a bit of help.

nbt

you can call in a bothy bikes, we picked up a map of the area with the badaguish trails marked on

geoffj

Click to make it bigger 🙂

{Link removed – see below – Mod}

nbt

ahhh, suddenly the trails make sense. We found most of them but rode the stalker track the wrong way and missed the canadian trail

fontmoss
    Free Member

nice one, i need to get back there sometime

AJ
    Free Member

please don't do that Geoff, the bloody forestry are looking for any excuse to flatten those trails. and sticking that pic up with the name of the club that looks after the trails is giving them reason.

thanks

geoffj

please don't do that Geoff, the bloody forestry are looking for any excuse to flatten those trails. and sticking that pic up with the name of the club that looks after the trails is giving them reason.

Eh? But it's OK for Bothy Bikes to sell maps of the trails, and/or others organising and publicising races on them? 🙄

If anyone wants a copy, email me and I'll send it you.

AJ it smacks a little bit of you wanting to keep the trails quiet for just locals, club members or customers who pay an access tax (buy the map) at Bothy Bikes.

geoffj

Mountainbikers offers coaching and guiding in the cairngorm national park

Oh I see! 😉

marty
    Free Member

I'd listen to what those who have spent considerable time building and maintaining that race course tell you.

geoffj

I took the image down before the mod removed the link.

It would have been helpful to have some of the reasoning made clear without the need to go hunting for it. 🙄

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/newsrele.nsf/WebPressReleases/122117AD3DD90E1380256FA1003DD3FD

marty
    Free Member

I asked for the link to be taken down last night.

GeoffJ originally wrote> Presumably you have FC's consent to run races on their land?
    You have to apply for consent for each event. When we "borrowed" the course for SSWC we ran into opposition from FCS, it was only with help of locals that we eventually got permission.

Trails built as race courses often aren't built to cope with big numbers, year round. I can think of a number of "low key" trails that have been ruined by overuse after being shared on the internet. I can also think of at least one race course that a club can't use for events after people turned up in numbers, behaved irresponsibly and pissed the landowner off.

If visitors have to ask locally (bike shops or other locals) then they might be asked not to ride if it isn't in condition or needs work.

To address your edit: not the reason for it not being a good idea to publish details of a race course on a public forum.

Sanny
    Free Member

Did the route published recently in MBR not include parts of the Badaguish course in order to access Mealle a Buichaile? Perhaps someone should have told them too?

I suspect if FC want to remove the trails, they may do at any time they wish. I'm not convinced that a posting on STW will tip the balance though. A brief search on tinterweb reveals a fair number of postings, images and videos about the course already exist. The cat is perhaps already out the bag and sprintung for the exit!

Cheers

Sanny

geoffj

marty – thanks for the explanation.

It would have been useful if you could have written that in your initial posting, instead of the Fight Club-esque response you did make.

Surely it would be better to publicise that line than have a policy of no comment to anyone that makes enquiries on the interweb?

Edit: Sanny +1

marty
    Free Member

You'd have to be pretty naive to think that sharing route online or in magazines is always a good thing.

For example, I know of a really nice bit of trail in a country park just outside Glasgow. I didn't build it. Cuts through some private property and the landowner isn't too keen on it. Perhaps you know it. I still use it and I might show someone else it, but I wouldn't tell people about it on the internet.

Over and out.

marty
    Free Member

Above in reply to Sanny.

It would have been useful if you could have written that in your initial posting, instead of the Fight Club-esque response you did make.
    mainly reacting to your suggestion of hidden agendas for keeping the race course on the QT.

Definitely over and out.

geoffj

but I wouldn't tell people about it on the internet.

But if they know it exists and want more details, surely it would be better to explain why it would better they didn't ride it rather than just stone wall them?

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Marty

I don't think that sharing routes online or in mags is always a good thing. When I write route guides, I make a point of checking that there are no access issues that a guide would only make worse. I have to admit I was a bit surprised when I saw the route in MBR but hey ho, that's life. As soon as two folk know about a trail, the word will always spread. I suspect that many folk only know about the trails as a result of the publicity that went with the SSWC. Therein lies the rub. Keep it secret and let only locals use it or hold a race on it then hope that folk won't post on forums about where the route goes. 😀

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Marty

I don't think that sharing routes online or in mags is always a good thing. When I write route guides, I make a point of checking that there are no access issues that a guide would only make worse. I have to admit I was a bit surprised when I saw the route in MBR but hey ho, that's life. As soon as two folk know about a trail, the word will always spread. I suspect that many folk only know about the trails as a result of the publicity that went with the SSWC. Therein lies the rub. Keep it secret and let only locals use it or hold a race on it then hope that folk won't post on forums about where the route goes. 😀 I completely respect and share your viewpoint. I just think it may be a losing battle!

Cheers

Sanny

Cheers

Sanny

geoffj

mainly reacting to your suggestion of hidden agendas for keeping the race course on the QT.

Well, like I said, if you or AJ had responded with the explanation you gave in your second post initially, there would have been no need for speculation.

In some ways, its hardly surprising that the relationship between MTBers and the FC is difficult in some areas. If we can't even communicate properly amongst ourselves, what hope have we of engaging effectively with partners?

fontmoss
    Free Member

seems pretty clear though?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

So you can ride it if you're local but not if you're a visitor?

geoffj

seems pretty clear though?

Well, there appears to be a number of issues which that statement did not address.

On the one hand, there is the suggestion that FC want to close the trails and that making known the club that is looking after them is reason enough for them to do that;

On the other hand there is the issue about the trails getting knackered through overuse;

Oh and then there is the Caper issue.

Obviously these are not mutually exclusive, but please don't do that Geoff, the bloody forestry are looking for any excuse to flatten those trails. and sticking that pic up with the name of the club that looks after the trails is giving them reason. doesn't provide any reasons.

geoffj

So you can ride it if you're local but not if you're a visitor?

Perhaps if you ask nicely and the locals judge that they are in condition….or they are perhaps trying to sell you a bling race bike at the time [joking!].

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

That's sort of what i was alluding to, surely if this rare species needs protection then you make the whole area a no go zone to everyone.

Especially to walkers who, if I remember correctly, were shown by an RSPB research project to significantly disturb ground nesting birds to a much greater extent than cyclists.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It's not just about the bird though Tap.

It seems if you are local or make the effort to get to the trails, you will find help in riding them. But they don't want them known about nationally so as to prevent over-use.

Seems fair enough to me.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

That's right Al,

knock the bait off. 👿

fontmoss
    Free Member

I'm with Al on this

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ooops sorry Tap, I'll adjust my troll-filter.

marty
    Free Member

>Oh and then there is the Caper issue.
    Red herring with regards to this discussion*.

A trail centre in that area was knocked back due to Capers, but you can't build a trail centre without heavy machinery and you wouldn't be able to carry out construction during breeding. Race course maintenance has been done outwith breeding season and by hand.

IIRC the research paper that dangerousbeans mentions, found that cyclists were the least problematic user for capers as they tend to stick to paths and capers can avoid them. (Again IIRC) orienteers and dogs-off-leads are the biggest threat as they tend to roam throughout forest, away from main paths.

* although others seem desperate for an argument as usual…

Dave
    Free Member

Have you got a link to that research Marty, interested in adding it to my library ;o)

marty
    Free Member

actually, having had a look at a couple of emails on the issue:

"Major events are usually of a relatively short nature (e.g. one day's rally driving) and infrequent, therefore they generally cause limited long-term disturbance to capercaillie when taking place outside the most vulnerable periods of spring and early summer. Control of spectators, or bystanders, at major events, to prevent them spreading their influence through the forest is important to avoid disturbance."

So maybe there is a good reason to "control" access through soft measures?

Dave – http://www.cairngorms.co.uk/parkauthority/publications/results.php?publicationID=58

Sanny
    Free Member

Slightly OT but I've always wondered how the need to preserve the Capercaillie is reconciled to the use of deer fences given the formers propensity to fly low. 😕

AJ
    Free Member

Thank you Marty for giving reasons

Geoff who i am and what i do has nothing to do with what i wrote. I love to spread the trail love but i don't do it to anybody with an internet connection.

Andy

geoffj

Geoff who i am and what i do has nothing to do with what i wrote. I love to spread the trail love but i don't do it to anybody with an internet connection.

Fair enough, you share what trail information you like with who you like, just consider providing proper reasons, when trying to stop others doing the same.

Diane
    Free Member

Really hope the trails survive they are a favourite of mine

househusband

I've enjoyed the trails there several times. Just wondering; if they are such a contentious issue, have Bothy Bikes ever been asked to stop selling the maps?

soulrider
    Free Member

I dunny need a map, I knows where the trails are and I ride them when I want… i leave no trace behind bar the odd high roller track.

for those who dont know wehre they are they are brilliant.
    it would be a real shame for the FC to ruin them as they did with a local DH trail in Moray.

druidh
    Free Member

I can see both sides here. Having put up a map of Pentlands trails and then seen some of them trashed, there is definitely a balancing act involved. However there are double standards at play if complaints are coming from Bothy Bikes given that they are happy to be selling maps.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Can I ask a serious question then? (wrong forum in general, I know).

I'm going to the area at the beginning of September with a group of about 15 riders. We're going to be in the area and I was planning on trying to find the trails around Badaguish as I'd heard they were good.

I now know exactly where they are but would the people involved rather we stayed away? We wouldn't be there long as it's just a little diversion on a 50km route but thought I'd ask out of politeness.

househusband

However there are double standards at play if complaints are coming from Bothy Bikes given that they are happy to be selling maps.

Indeed – or complaints from the trailbuilders or local riders/residents.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Trails at Badaguish near Aviemore’ is closed to new replies.