Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Trails around Machynlleth.. Whats climachX like now??
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Ive got a weeks holiday in Aberdovey near Machynlleth on July 20th..
    Wont be doing loads of riding as its a family holiday (3 little ones, wife, dog etc) I was hoping to get a few early morning rides in and was thinking of hitting climachX and maybe CYB if im a lucky boy.

Did the best last bits of climachX get levelled the other year??
    Any other decent 2-3 hour trails / loops worth checking out nearby?
    If i had a few hours at cyb… what would be the best bits to ride?

emmodd
    Free Member

The final descent is great but pretty much everything before it is a let down.

timmys

I go to Aberdovey every year for a week with the wife’s family and manage a couple of days out on the bike. ClimachX is obviously the nearest trail – I believe since the felling the trail is all still there but the character has changed somewhat without the trees.

Trail centre wise Nant Y Arian is next nearest and is great. If you have enough time then do the beast at CYB (miss out the north-east fire road loop ).

Personally this year I’m looking forward to hopefully getting to Antur Stiniog as it’s just over an hour away and seems to be getting rave reviews.

Natural riding wise there are the Mach trails – I didn’t really rate them when I did them a few years ago, they have since been re-routed though. There’s also Cadar Idris nearby and even Snowden.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Im thinking of a morning pootling around the last section of climachx and a run out to do nant ry arian to do the summit trail..

Sound like a better option than CyB??

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Any other decent 2-3 hour trails / loops worth checking out nearby?

Take your pick of the Dyfi Enduro trails.
    If you use a gps, get hold of a GPX file of one of the routes. Or, go into the Holey Trail in Mach and ask for advice. Dyfi forest is full of brilliant unmarked trails, no need to stick to the Climachx…

grievoustim
    Free Member

I also have a weeks family holiday in the dyfi area every year – I love it there, looking forward to being able to take my bike again this year – after a few years with no biking (for boring reasons)

Climax is a great loop to do early – I usually do it before the kids are up for breakfast. Obviously the final descent is the highlight but I don’t understand the hate the earlier stuff gets. Ride it fast and it’s all good fun.

The whole loop only takes an hour or so – so no point missing any of it out IMO

As mentioned above Nant and Coed are both nearby

Northwind

I can’t remember most of the early part of the loop tbh, didn’t think it was especially bad or good but IIRC it had an ace techy pedally bit over bedrock, which was pretty damn cool. Also I liked the bit right near the end with the big arrow, when I rode off the edge of the hill

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Trails around Machynlleth.. Whats climachX like now??’ is closed to new replies.