Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • trails around Glossop?
  • jools182
    Free Member

supposed to be going out tomorrow and one of the lads lives in Glossop

despite living there when I was younger I’ve never been riding around there

anyone know of any trails, probably around a 2 hour ride?

RDL-82
    Free Member

would be interested in this as well as ive been riding over more from Hartshead Pike/Mossley lately, but how about Doctors Gate, or this Moor Fun By Bike i know it starts in Tintwistle but its not that far away and not too bad, definately better coming back towards Tintwistle, other than that, os1 and the help of the god souls on here

HTH a little

crazy-legs

BadlyWiredDog is your man for Glossop trails.

Doctors Gate is largely rubbish, it’s about 75% rideable at the best of times and after the recent atrocious weather the bottom half will be a swamp.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jools182
    Free Member

Looks like he’s going to have to get to new mills then 😉

monksie
    Free Member

If I was riding from Glossop I’d head up Chunal and then cut across and do something aroubd Robin Hood’s Picking Rods, Mellor, Rowarth and Hayfield.
    The path along the Picking Rods wasn’t too squelchy today despite the rain that fell last week.
    In fact, you could meet each other at Lantern Pike if you’re in Glossop and he’s in New Mills or vice versa

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Yeah there’s very little from the centre of Glossop unless you like riding on the road.

Doctor’s Gate is OK but a bit of a hike-a-bike but it’s best if you have two cars and leave one at each end as the ride up the A57 is not much fun

Otherwise just head to Hayfield or Rowarth

BadlyWiredDog

Doctor’s Gate is a Marmite trail ime – it’s nice for running up and down, but lacks flow. It’s also inconvenient in a legal right of way sense as it ends on the A57, so the top end either is only accessible by road or leaves you heading down to Ladybower on the A57, which is busy, twisty and frequented by muppets who think they’re rally drivers.

There’s actually some pleasant legal-ish riding up above Tintwistle and Hollingworth, expand with some extended singletracky cheek and it’s good for a night ride or more, plus there are one or two areas of ‘secret singletrack’ that string things together.

Unless you like riding up Chunal – bored of it now – for 15 minutes or so to get to the Hayfield stuff, Shooting Cabin in reverse or over Monk’s Road then onward into the Mellor/Marple Bridge side or things or over into Hayfield, I’d suggest popping over to Charlesworth on the road then following the bridleway up that runs parallel to the Monk’s Road.

Top of that, you could always carry on round the top of Cown Edge or whatever it’s called, slightly nadgery, try not to ride over the side, then connect with the Robin Hood’s Picking Rod track or back down towards Hayfield via the Pennine Bridleway etc.

Or a good local ride is to hammer over to Royston Vasey, blitz the Longdendale Trail, cut down to Dunford Bridge, take old railway line, cut up to Langsett and Doctor’s Gate on the b’way that comes out near the Flouch, Ladybower, Roman Road, Jaggers, Rushup, Roych, Hayfield, Middle Moor and home 🙂

You’ll never leave…

RDL-82
    Free Member

BWD any chance you could expend on the riding around Tintwistle. I’ve been coming over from Hartshead/Mossley, usually just down/up the PBW and back and wouldn’t mind exploring a bit…any pointers.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘trails around Glossop?’ is closed to new replies.