Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Trails around Florence, Italy
  • Schweiz
    Free Member

Spending 2 weeks in August just outside Florence. We’re staying on the hill just northeast of Sesto Fiorentino.

Anyone have any tips or local knowledge for routes in the area? Are there any local groups or clubs I could contact? The map shows lots of trails in the forests but it’s hard to work out what’s fireroad and what’s singletrail.

Also willing to drive an hour or so if there’s something good to aim for. Looking for some big climbs and technical descents.

Cheers
    Schweiz

geoffj

The map shows lots of trails in the forests but it’s hard to work out what’s fireroad and what’s singletrail.

is true. Unless you can find a local guide, I’d take a road bike.

Schweiz
    Free Member

More than happy to pay a local guide if anyone can recommend someone.

Are there any Italian mtb forums?

hunta

I’ve just got back from a week in Montepulciano, and was really disappointed in the lack of any kind of MTB set-up. I was asking around, but people just seemed to keep referring me to the Garfagna region (Skedaddle et al go there).

Seems ‘off-road’ to Italians = fire roads (or gravel lanes).

I’d be interested to hear if you do find anything – best of luck.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, you’ll be up against it chap.

I’ve spent a whole load of time in Flo’ and of all my (roadie) mates, all bar one were roadies only. The MTB’er took his bike to the Alp’s…
    It’s a difficult one this cos’ all the “tracks” tend to be fire/chalk/limestone tracks to/from fields or small (very) villages. You’ll be riding around on quite well surfaced tracks as most are flattened by tractors/cars. Forests, erm.. large woods you mean, well there are tracks through them but again it’s bramble and ferns with very few “paths” to play on.
    I’m not one to dampen spirits, but in 3 years there I’ve only ever roadied.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Trails around Florence, Italy’ is closed to new replies.