Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Trails around Ballachulish .
  • stanfree
    Free Member

I might have to accompany Mrs Stanfree to Ballachullish next Friday as she has a meeting there for around 3-4 hours . Heading from the Crianlarich direction what would be the best trails to try and ride . I remember passing a sign on the way back from Fort Bill world cup showing Glencoe mountain bike centre but have heard the downhill track makes Fort Bill look smooth and Im no downhiller anyway. I know I could carry on up to Fort Bill and do the witches trail but Ive always considered Glencoe to be more stunning than Fort Bill .

Yours Ideas are appreciated …

dazzlingboy

Glencoe is proper downhill – not for the fainthearted!

Get Mrs Stanfree to drop you off at Kinlochleven before her meeting and you go from Mamore Lodge over to Fort William via the West Highland Way – get her to pick you up in Fort Bill after and go for your tea.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, Kinlochleven is the obvious choice there, however there are bits and pieces more local to Ballachulish, such as the ‘there and back’ ride to Duror, of which 50% is fireroad, but the other 50% is quite enjoyable singletrack (last time I was there anyway, about 4 years ago). Don’t blame me if its all marsh now though…

There’s a trail skirting the south of the Pap of Glencoe, from Glen Coe village heading west towards Kinlochleven. I’ve always wanted to have a wee explore but never got round to it.

Didn’t Greg Minaar help the local guys build a trail there when the WC first came to town? Think they ended up calling it the ‘Donkey Hill Dirt Track’ or something.

balfa
    Free Member

Yup there was a dirt track near the hotel/harbour which is still there albeit a bit more overgrown. There was a little hidden techy downhill track up behind Ballachulish too.

If I were you I’d get dropped off at the foot of the devils staircase then ride over towards kinlochleven, back up to the dam and down the Ciaran or whatever that path on the North side of the river is. Then you could either pootle back round to Ballachulish on the road or play about a bit more on the descents from the Mamore lodge area.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Id get her to drop you at Bridge of Orchy, and follow the West Highland way to the start of the devils staircase. Head onto the road there and keep on the road into Glencoe till the first major car park on the left and there is a path going down into the Glen which runs parallel to the road, its great singletrack although nothing technical. Spits you out at the Clachaig and an easy cycle from there to Ballachullish

stanfree
    Free Member

Thanks for the Idea’s , Its a stunning area . I forgot how close Kinlochleven was so might go for the devils staircase , Ill invest In an O/S map so as not to get lost .

13thfloormonk

I think Balfa’s suggestion is definitely the best value for money, although I’ve always liked the look of Scottyjohn’s singletrack, only noticed it when on the road bike though!

stanfree
    Free Member

Having a wee look on Bikely website and they have a route from Altnafeadh to Kinlochleven I presume Its the WHW. ? Also excuse my Ignorance but on a map where exactly does the Devils staircase route start Is it also on the WHW track .

Thanks Stanfree.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartie_c/2587322929/]kll[/url] by stuartie_c, on Flickr

Alltnafeadh is where the Devil’s Staircase starts. The WHW follows this to the top then descends into Kinlochleven. When you get to the fireroad, turn right and find the aqueduct which will take you all the way to the Blackwater Dam. Cross this and marvel at the feat of engineering which it took to build it then you can either pick up the Ciaran Path down to KLL or continue by another aqueduct towards Loch Eilde Mor. There are a variety of descents off this which lead to KLL, though you kind of need to know what you’re looking for for some of them.

From KLL, climb the WHW fire-road back to the earlier junction then back up to the top of the Devil’s Staircase and then a thrilling finale back to your start point.

May take more than 4 hours though.

stanfree
    Free Member

Thanks for that Stuart might need to just need to do Devils Staircase to KLL and back then I think.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Trails around Ballachulish .’ is closed to new replies.