Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Trailquest event peak district 13/12
  • jamesfuller
    Free Member

http://darkwhitecycling.co.uk/winter-trailquest/

Just wondering if anyone is going? or if any of you have done it before?

I want to give it a go.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I’ve done quite a few MTBO events, mostly with NYMBO but have done a couple of dark and white.

They’re great events, loosing popularity due to the prevelance of gnarpoons and ‘nduro and all that rad stuff.

Deffo go for it, it doesn’t really matter if anyone you know is riding as you’ll be on your own anyway!

jamesfuller
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply mrjmt. The one thing that made me think twice was looking through the webpage, the compulsory equipment list.

I have mostly all the stuff on there, but I don’t think my crash helmet is ansi or bsi approved. Its an Urge Enduromatic so its a good one but do they really get that fussy about stuff.

Its a long way for me to drive if I cant take part on a technicality! I have emailed the organiser but not yet had a response.

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t think a trailquest organisor has checked the stickers in a helmet, ever. If it’s a proper bike helmet you’ll be fine. Though I’d be surprised if it didn’t meet the required standards if it’s on sale here, they’re presumably not asking for anything other than normal UK helmet certification.

Garry_Lager

I’ve done plenty over the years – they’re really good, think I’ll do that Hope one if I can.

You don’t really need any equipment that you wouldn’t be riding with anyway – just a makeshift mapboard for your bike [getting the map out of your pocket would be a complete ballache and slow you down massively].

They’re friendly and low key events – no one’s going to be looking over your equipment or even asking about it. Only way that would happen is if you looked seriously underdressed for the conditions or were obviously new to mountain biking and the organisers were looking out for your safety.

muzzle
    Free Member

I did the Peak Trailquest series a couple of years ago – never had any equipment checked.

I stopped doing them because often the fastest way to get between two check-in points is via the road rather than off-road, and that wasn’t the reason I wanted to be out on my bike.

Having said that, I found them a great way to get out to areas I wouldn’t have otherwise ridden so it’s definitely worth a go if you haven’t done one before.

rone

Dark and White stuff is great. Done loads of them including the Marathon a couple of weeks ago.

Tough area to ride as fast as possible in – I wouldn’t get hung up on the official kit list – just be sensible with the conditions and what you kit you will likely need.

jamesfuller
    Free Member

That is good to hear, thanks for the replies. it has put my mind at ease. Will enter when I get home.

Garry_lager. Good tip, will have to bodge something up.

mrjmt
    Free Member

james, my map board is just a perspex (not cardboard!) A5 clipboard with holes drilled for 3 cable ties – one around stem, one around bars at either side of the stem. Think it cost me around £2 off amazon.

Most people use A4 boards but I prefer A5 as its less flappy-abouty and i dont catch my knees on it.

As above, don’t worry about the equipment list too much, I’ve never been inspected.

Oh, and watch out for the old boys, they’ll turn you inside out on the climbs!

edit: £1.36 actually! linky

aracer
    Free Member

There’s a certain inevitability to tarmac on such events, however if properly planned they should force you to mostly ride off road, or at least to do lots of interesting bits linked with tarmac in a way not too dissimilar to what you’d do on a normal ride. I have to admit on one event when I thought I wasn’t doing too well I deliberately chose some nice off-road routes over the tarmac which would probably have got me a higher score – only to find I finished in 2nd close behind the winner and riding more tarmac might have made the difference – though I don’t have much regret about that as I had a great ride.

jamesfuller
    Free Member

Oh, and watch out for the old boys, they’ll turn you inside out on the climbs!

Im not good at climbing. I live in a flat area lol. I had a 2 week holiday in the peaks last month and I really struggled with some.

I want to start doing more events though as it has been a while, so have to start somewhere, someone has to be last!

djtom
    Free Member

Great events – choose your route carefully, and don’t be late back! If you get a choice, climb on tarmac and descend off road.

If you enjoy it then there are a few others around the country – we’ve just finished our series off for the year with a night event, but we should be running another series next year (jointly promoted by South London Orienteers, and London and South East Adventure Racers).

All events affiliated with British Mountain Bike Orienteering are listed here:
    BMBO

cp

Brilliant events, I do them as often as I can and I’ll be there on Sunday. A map board is great as you can navigate and ride at the same time… Needed if you want to do OK. Mine is bodged out of a plastic chopping board.

Edit – as above. Don’t be late back (unless it’s beneficial for you to do so), the penalty points stack up quickly.

doodlebug
    Free Member

The “Dark and White” events are fantastic and have been run for absolutely years by like minded cyclists and runners.

Some of my best Peaks two and three hour MTB rides have been on a Trailquest / British Mountain Bike Orienteering event, it can get really competitive and a great way to find new bridleways.

doodlebug
    Free Member

jamesfuller

A lot of riders use the plastic from a “For Sale” board, some plastic ties and a couple of bull dog clips and this might just give you food for thought …..

Have fun, watch them contours and don’t be greedy and late back ! 😆

doodlebug
    Free Member

doodlebug
    Free Member

bigdean

Have done quite a few over the years. My advice as a beginner is to try to climb to check points. That way your already going slow and won’t miss points.
    And as above the old boy with cantilever brakes a rack will tear your legs off.

mrjmt
    Free Member

So, how did you get on James?

jamesfuller
    Free Member

So, how did you get on James?

Ok, great fun, made a few mistakes and learnt a lot.
    I wasn’t last!

Winnats Pass 58km/h with wet canti brakes was probably the scariest moment.

Next time I know I can pack a bit lighter.
    I didnt pay attention to the contour lines on one bit that saw me climbing a wet grass field for about 20 mins.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Excellent!

Where are you based? NYMBO do a few winter treasure hunt type events (instead of collecting controls you’re given a clue and have to find something then write it down – eg. a phone number on a sign or similar).

Next one is 30th Jan in Stillington, just north of York.

cp

Glad you enjoyed your first event! There are many many subtleties to learn, you never stop developing your strategy!

Night time one this Saturday night from Thornbridge Outdoors near Great Longstone / Bakewell:-

https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=2274

jamesfuller
    Free Member

Its quite a long way for me, im on the Cambridgeshire/Northants border. But I plan to do whichever events I can make it to.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Trailquest event peak district 13/12’ is closed to new replies.