Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Trailplus Off-Road Tri @ Weavers Down, Liphook, 17th October
  • nedrapier

Anyone here do this? Great event, I thought, partly because it was an lovely, crisp, sunny day, partly because there were some fun mountainbike sections, but mainly because it’s the furthest I’ve run in years, and I didn’t twang myself.

Saw quite a few photographers around the course, but not seen or heard of any up ont’ web.

Anyone else seen any?

Ta!

njee20
    Free Member

Would’ve probably done it if I’d known it was on! I can’t even find any info after the fact, got a website?

Edit: aah was it kayaking, not a proper tri?

Can’t help on the photos.

nedrapier

not a “proper” tri, no. It’s a team event, too, you’ve got to stick with your 2 teammates, or at least be with them at the kayak and the finish. It’s broken up too: bit of a run, lap of the bike course, run, kayak, run, bike, obstacle course to finish. The kayak is a three man blow-up one, more of a fun break in a duathlon than anything else.

Not that high a standard though, I was surpriised how well we did with one of our team suffering badly from cramp. I reckon if you’d entered with a couple of your racer-y buddies, njee, you’d have got on the podium.

recommended. at least on a sunny day! 🙂

nedrapier

http://www.trailplus.com/adventure-challenge-series.php

This gives you a very good impression of the event, actually. I’ve got no issues with being a weekend warrior, I can’t think of a single reason why I should object. They might be trying to keep it “fun” and dissuade elite racers, though!

Staying together at all times, your group of weekend warriors will be challenged to complete an off-road, multi-terrain odyssey including trail running, mountain biking and kayak canoeing. For good measure we’ll throw in some special challenges including our signature finish ….The Slippery Wall!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Are there any/many off road tris then? Did an EnduranceLife one which I really enjoyed (njee did another of their tris which didn’t sound so good) but they’ve now stopped them.

They do plenty of tris here with open water swims and road rides and runs but very few that I know of are fully off road. Pool swims for me are a BIG no no.

njee20
    Free Member

It looks good, my comment wasn’t meant so much as a put down, more explanation of why I’d not heard of it, being pretty local to Liphook and moderately into triathlons!

There’s going to be a national series of off-road tris next year by the people who did the XTT event, I imagine there’ll be at least one South-West based event, that should be good. There are more out there than I’d perhaps realised though!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Hmmn – will look out for them. Might also need to get better at Googling events too!

njee20
    Free Member

I imagine they’ll be promoted on AllAboutTriathlons, I’ve only heard about it from someone who knows the organiser.

nedrapier

Not taken as a put-down at all, if any of what I wrote sounded narky, it really wasn’t meant to be. Just started ruminating on the weekend warrior stuff and how people might read it.

And for all that, it was still 2 and half hours of hard exercise for the winners. There’s one in Pirbright in Jan, and some others further afield before and after: Lakes, staffs etc.

I’ll keep an eye out for the others you mentioned too, njee. Fingers crossed, the worst of the shin splints and ITBS are behind me!

njee20
    Free Member

Sadly I’m a fairly good swimmer, probably a rubbish kayaker, and certainly a crap runner, so I’ll probably watch out for more of the ‘normal’ ones. May try one though, Pirbright’s not far, nice to mix things up a bit!

nedrapier

Yeah, get some mates along, it’s a larf. The kayaking’s not really competitive, 3 people in a blow up kayak with 2 paddles. If you’re average runners and handy mountain bikers, you’ll not have to worry about disgracing yourselves.

We came 36th out of 175 teams, and given how many people came past when Eoin was was suffering, I reckon we might have come top 10 if we’d been able to race. And although I’m fairly fit, the last time I ran any further than the beginning of mountain mayhem was about 9 years ago.

We’ve got too many for one team, and not yet enough for 2 for Pirbright of you’re interested in joining?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Trailplus Off-Road Tri @ Weavers Down, Liphook, 17th October’ is closed to new replies.