Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Trailgator or tag along bike ? Pros ? cons ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Any experince of Trail Angel ?

http://www.trail-angel.com/eng/trail-angel.php

Many thanks in advance

hoodoo
    Free Member

Have been using a Trailgator for a number of years. It works but its a bit of a rubbish design. The bracket that fits to the head tube of your child’s bike has such a small contact area that you have to put a massive amount of torque into the nuts to make everything stable. The result is that the bracket cuts through the paint and into the head tube.

What you need to do is get a cheap sacrificial bike for use with the Trailgator. There is absolutely no way would I use it with something like an Isla bike.

I use mine to take my youngest to the local park where he can then ride around using his stabilizers. Carrying a 15 mm spanner allows the stabilizers to be rotated up out of the way when attached to the Trailgator.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

We had a trail angel for about a month the returned it as it was beginning to break up and it was very annoying to use.

I found it IMPOSSIBLE to get the clamp around the towbike seat post tight enough to stop the clamp rotating as we rode. As a result my wee lad kept ending up canted out to the side. We literally had to stop evert km or so to realign it. The seatpost ended up squashed as I had to tighten it up so much. The supplied shims to protect the post and the kids bike frame are CARDBOARD. Enough said…

Also the large plastic joint began to crack.

In theory it is a great idea, let down by a poor method of attachment to the towbike.

We replaced it with a Follow-me Tandem. At £210, it is not cheap, but it has been excellent so far. It is robust, stiff, and easy to use. The kids bike can easily be detached and reattached, allowing them to pedal on their own when suitable. I hope to get many years of service from it.

mugsys_m8

Follow me +1. Had ours for 3 years and used it for our annual 3 week camp touring summer holiday.

Garry_Lager

Trail gator is pretty good IME. It works, but like hoodoo says you need to do it up v tight. I failed to do this first time out and had a real OMFG NO moment when I pitched our little girl onto the tarmac. Fortunately she bounced, got up and called me an idiot.

After that it’s been great:) A lot of fun on the forest tracks.

antigee

Oldest preferred Trailgator liked being able to ride on own and hated tagalong

Trailgator isn’t a five minutes before you go out set up to get bracket in a position that works and as said is hard to fit without damage

Youngest loved tagalong and stuck with it until quite a lot older than needed to – enjoyed chatting away and actually does more cycling now than her older sister who demanded the independence she saw other kids had that the tagalong doesn’t give

garage-dweller

Follow me. +1
    Expensive because it’s really good

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

We were out today with my 3.5 yo and the Follow-Me. Solo downwind, tandem upwind. Upwind was actually unpleasant.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Trailgator or tag along bike ? Pros ? cons ?’ is closed to new replies.