Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Trailers – Ifor Williams or Indespension.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m thinking about replacing my trailer.

I’m after something with a fourteen feet platform. I’m going to look at an Indespension 16 foot trailer mid week. I’ve no experience of their products, are they comparable with Ifor Williams?

flip
    Free Member

The ones i’ve looked at have been more than equal, but they have been a couple of years old.

Second hand they seem to go for less than IW because the names not so well known.

brant
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    itstig

Ifor williams will probably have indespension axles, the rubber fails on our works Richardson trailer and the wheels run on a skew shredding the tyres. Unless it has obvious leaf springs it’s something to look out for.

matt_outandabout

We have half a dozen Ifor Williams box’s and bogy platforms at work.
    Apart from one Swiss made box trailer, all our other canoe, kayak and bike trailers have issues and problems through the year, but not the Ifor’s unless something has worn out.
    If I had to buy a trailer, they would be first port of call.

brickwizard
    Free Member

I can’t fault Ifor Williams trailers. Use them at work and own box trailer and small p6e.They last a long long time and hold their money very well, just try n buy a 2nd hand one and you will see what I mean

slackalice
    Free Member

What matt_outandabout & brickwizard said. Ifor Williams every time.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My Ifor Williams has been good. All the galvanized bits though dull are rust free. The bed is now holed and the brake backplates are pretty rust, the brakes themselves are now marginal. I wonder if fixing mine up would be more cost effective?

There is an IW agent in Bridge of Allan that had some good used trailers that were around £1500. I will give him a call on Monday and see what he has.

cdaimers

A friend has a brenderup, absolutely superb value for money and far better than some more expensive trailers I have seen.

Highland industrial linky

wors

I used to work for indespension :D, I designed their current range of flatbeds too, as far as I know it hasn’t changed. I can put you in touch with an ex sales man who works for himself now, only sells second hand stuff though both ifor and Indy. Second hand mainly

timber

We re-decked our 12-foot IWT a couple of years ago after initially flipping the deck to prolong it, some resin type board stuff. Brakes can be cleaned up or replaced pretty easily and cheaply. The galv always turns dull. Had to replace a couple of wheels this year due to corrosion and numpty towing as well as the wiring loom.
    All cheaper than a new trailer.

d45yth
    Free Member

You don’t know anyone with a business that’s VAT registered do you? My dad had been looking at second hand ones for a while. He ended up paying about £200 more for a new one though after he’d struck a deal and claimed the VAT back.

mightymule
    Free Member

Mr Mule Senior made our “family” trailer. It was completed n 1983, and has just reached the end of it’s life. You can’t buy ’em like that!

He used to tow it with a 1970s MGB. Got a few odd looks, especially with the concrete mixer and the ladders on it….

marcus
    Free Member

I run a 2.5tonne indespension, whch I think mine was about 1K cheaper than the equivalent IWT. It tows OK, but all the fitings and deck seem a bit ‘lightweight’. Im not too bothered as it only gets occasional use. It depends on how much hammer you are going to give it and budget I suppose.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Trailers – Ifor Williams or Indespension.’ is closed to new replies.