Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • trailer towing with a 456
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

Thinking about getting one of those BOB yak-A-like cheap trailers and would want to tow it with a 456 with swapouts, will that work ok? They look to attach/hook to a special qr skewer by hooking over it, but thinking that the trailer tow arm may interfere with the frame where it bolts on to the swapouts. Can anybody confirm one way or other?

alpin
    Free Member

no, you’ll have no problem. the skewer extends a fair few cm from the dropouts.

a good trailer.

i now have the problem that both my MTBs have 10mm rear axle so i now need to rig something up in order to attach the trailer. however i think there are extender nuts available…. but that costs.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Cool, cheers!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyl
    Free Member

is this a carbon 456 with swapouts? You may need to fabricate a new part that goes on the skewer as the carbon frame is very close to the skewer nut.

not sure how close the Ti frame is.

I would make a carbon part and carry a few spares as I can treat it like a ‘fuse’ and save the carbon frame from damage. I have seen a guy towing a trailer with 2 dogs off a carbon Merida frame though with no problems so I think a carbon 456 will be up to the job.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ti, but if I understand what you mean, Ti456 may be the same..couldn’t fit a banger hanger as it fouled the frame so if skewer nut bigger than normal a mod will be needed?

andyl
    Free Member

The trailer coupling on most trailers looks a bit like the QR tugnut that on one sell so is larger than a QR nut. I think you would just need to shave a bit off OR as the Ti frame is thinner than the carbon one (I think( then you could just get a longer skewer and fit a spacer.

not sure what the coupling is like on the trailer you are looking at.

Another option is get a custom swapout made with a bolt hole for the trailer hitch just behind the drop out and clear of the frame.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ok, sounds like some mod may be needed but should be simple

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘trailer towing with a 456’ is closed to new replies.