Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • TrailDogTrackWorld
  • blanklook

We have a 6 month old Irish terrier and I want to get her used to running with the bike in the local woods. Took her out the other evening and she was very close to the side of the bike – was worried she was going to get caught in the wheels. Also she would occasionally go in front and suddenly stop to sniff something…

Any helpful training ideas or is it just practice and take it slow to start with?

jam-bo

6 months is way too young.

gobuchul
    Free Member

You shouldn’t “over exercise” a dog under 12 mths old.

The problem with just about any terrier is that they are so easily completely distracted by scents and you will have to overcome 100’s of years of training to prevent those sudden stops.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

as above re the over exercising. you could get the dog used to staying drive side or near side early by walking with the dog and bike and rewarding good behaviour.
    but again as above, there will never be any guarantee against the occasional emergency brake as the dog changes it’s mind and direction

blanklook

Aware of the the over-exercise concern – we take her for two walks a day – each about 30-40 mins – that too much? For the biking, intention was only short ride in local woods (20 mins say) not an all day epic.

franksinatra

lots of mixed advice about how much exercise is too much for a puppy. 40mins x2 sounds at the upper end of what you should be doing at 6 months.

I did start very short rides with my pup from around 6 months just to get her used to the bike. My tips are:

A slow speed controlled nudge with the front wheel is no bad thing for the dog to learn to avoid the area!

I have taught her to respond to ‘go go go!’ command which basically means get out of the bloody way.

If the dogs ranges around then attach a falconry bell, this helps you be aware of where she is so you don’t have to take your eyes off the trail to look for her. My dog loves to be at the front which is great but if she stops for a sniff she then has to overtake me so I like to know which side she will fly past me on.

Trail dogs are great. Don’t forget though a big part of a dogs stimulation is from snuffling around and exploring, you need to allow them to do this as well as run alongside whilst you smash out Strava KoM’s

Milkie
    Free Member

6 months is too young to do any riding at all with a puppy. I would also not be running with a 6 month puppy either, yes they love it and can go on and on, but they will have hip problems later down the line.

I would get the basics nailed first. Stopping on command even when chasing something, walking to heal, recall, etc. Basically go and get your Bronze, Silver & Gold Citizen Award, then your puppy should be ready for biking. Recall & stopping on a Whistle might be helpful too.

I would say 2 walks of 40m ins a day for a 6 month is too much, but I do not know anything about the Irish Terrier.

So to sum up, go to the local dog training group, get the basics/foundations laid. Make sure you find a good one. 😉

franksinatra

6 months is too young to do any riding at all with a puppy.

I see no difference between a slow ride (walking pace) versus walk both over the same 30mins. Dog is not being exercised any more but is getting used to the bike being around.

Milkie
    Free Member

Personally I cannot ride at 4mph, I always end up at >9mph, where the puppy is doing a trot. It’s the repeat action that causes problems, yes they run around like a loon for 30 minutes, but not in a continuous straight line.

I knew a guy who had a puppy and would always ride around the local woods at a snails pace with his puppy on a lead. The puppy was good as gold, always a loose lead and loved it. At 2 years old it walked/ran, well it crabbed along like an old classic mini. I haven’t seen the dog or the owner in a couple of years, we believe it was put down due to the problems. 🙁

wwaswas

Just begun riding with our 16 month old Vizsla – didn’t want to start sooner to give his bones time to grow and him top mature mentally.

Basically I just rode on a fire road and encouraged him to stay to the right/behind me. On the singletrack he stays behind.

I stop every few hundred metres and let him have a sniff round and a wee etc.

He’s pretty good at staying with me.

Most annoying thing is I’m gasping at the top of a hill and he’s stood there barely breathing hard and looking at me with pity.

matt10214
    Free Member

I have a 10 month old Vizsla Pointer cross and occasionally take him for a run at the side of me, he’s always been really good, just canters along at the side on fire roads and bridleways.

Woodland singletrack is a different matter though as he can’t be at the side he’s all over the place, and it’s dangerous for him and me.

It doesn’t tire him anymore than a good walk either.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I used to think it was fine to take my lab springer cross on similar length walks and out on the bike from the age of 1 year and of course he loved it and was easy for him. At 9 yrs old he has elbow displacia and on pain killers and I wonder if I had some bearing on that.

mattbee

Similar story to Rockape here.
    Running/biking from circa 18 months old, he loved it to bits but at 8 he now has terrible problems with his back, knees, hips and paws.
    I’d be really really careful. You may be fine. Your dog may be fine too but do you want to go against all recommendations and potentially ruin your dogs long term quality of life?

loddrik
    Free Member

My Border Terrier has just turned one. He has only just started to show any level of stamina to.the point when he can run along side me for two or three miles. Only a month a go he’d have struggled so he’s obviously still getting stronger even though he looks exactly the same. I’d like to start taking him out on the bike properly but I’m guessing he’s still a few more months away from being able to do 7 plus miles at more than walking pace.

surfer
    Free Member

I’ve got a Lakeland Terrier (she is 12 now) and wanted to take her running with me. I didnt do anything other than walking her and occasional running during play etc until she was 12 months old. That was the first short but sustained run. She pretty much hated it and after a few months I gave up. Very few dogs like sustained running.
    We also have a 3 yr old Cocker who will run for a few miles but doesnt really enjoy it so I seldom bother. Also anything faster than around 7 min mile pace and he is totally uninterested.

In my opinion some dogs are fine running but I suspect very few breeds would enjoy running along side an MTB for a significant time and speed. Of course there are breeds that are bred for this type of thing but Terriers arent one of them and of course lots of people claim their dogs love to run alongside them etc but dogs dont always know whats in their own best interest, thats for owners to decide.

DezB
    Free Member

Saw this film last weekend. Not as many experts in it as there are on STW funnily enough 😉
    [video]https://youtu.be/nks6a7YAR24[/video]

Sounds to me like what the op did with his dog was fine. Little jog see how the dog gets on. Probably is too young, but I don’t know that breed.
    I found (with my GSP, just like what they use in the film) that training with a lead held in one hand first worked well. As far as stopping in front of the bike, a gentle nudge with the front tyre soon puts paid to that. “Go on” at the same time – then they know ‘Go on’ means move before the tyre touches them.

dantsw13

I can’t keep up with my 3yo Working Cocker! He starts to slow after an hour, but not much!!

surfer
    Free Member

Wow look at those Irish Terriers go…. Oh hang on!

DezB
    Free Member

Didn’t realise OP wanted to race… thought he just wanted a trailhound…

The Irish Terrier: Thrives on vigorous athletic activities . Sounds ideal. 🙂

I presume most people would use the bike to take the dog for a run, rather than go mountain biking and make the dog come with them.
    In which case, letting Fido stop and have a sniff around, say “hi, your bum smells nice” to other dogs and generally go at their own pace, must be the most enjoyable way for all concerned.

surfer
    Free Member

But the video you posted was of dogs who are bred for continuous and intense running. Most breeds are not and no Terrier breed is (even the tallest and most athletic the Doberman) A “trailhound” is an STW lifestyle construct and not a breed! I have had a number of terriers over the years (an Irish terrier when I was a kid) and they love to run around and play etc, not to run for longish periods uninterrupted.
    If (impossible to do I know) I took my Cocker for a 20 mile run at 6 min miling and if by some miracle he kept up then I would expect no matter how hard he found the experience I would still have to hold him back from joining me the next day to do it again. Dogs dont know whats good for them, owners should.

bruneep

I’d love to have a dog that would come out when biking however my dog is a useless lazy beast, I have to make do with mates collie and following Ruby http://rubythetraildog.com/

Tracey

Fin is three and comes out on the trails with us on a regular basis, stuck the Gopro on her coming back from Cutgate down North America to get a doggie view of what she sees.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lWuza4UZlxc

She usually tucks in on my left, if I’m not going fast enough she tries to get my shoe lace hence she runs with a muzzle on

myti
    Free Member

Started small slow bike rides with my lab around 6 months old. She is a great trail dog now and it’s absolutely her favourite thing in the world. She shreaks with excitement whilst you’re getting the bike out. When out she is not interested in smelling things, other dogs or any distractions and if we’re on a fireroad she runs up to the entrance to the single-track and looks at me with begging eyes to go down it. She will do about 12 to 15 miles before running out of steam. She runs just ahead or just behind depending on who’s more tired or how fast we’re going and will tuck in behind by jumping to the side if she is getting tired. She also cheats by cutting the corners.

She’s nearly 8 now with no mobility issues and is slim and muscley unlike most of the fat labradors I see hobbling about.

Lionheart
    Free Member

We had two great trail hounds, a GSP and a Vizla, they lasted 16 years, in the last couple the GSP had arthritis, (Vizla fine) which vet thought to do with the quantity of running but he also reckoned they lived that long because of their life! We were reasonably careful with them for distance and speed until 18 months, (did lots of recal, heal, close work etcthey then often did a run in the morning, I did 3-5 miles, they probably did x1.5 of that, then with the horses in the day 3 to 4 times a week and then Mtb trail hounds in the evening say 5 times a week. They still came out on at least one of these most days at 12 years old.
    Tommy the Parsons, now 5 months old is on a similar programme but told we can be earlier for a Parsons, still think it will be 18 months before he’s on the trail properly.

matt10214
    Free Member

I find that when I walk my Vizsla/GSP cross his two hours plus off the lead is spent chasing about after anything and everything, squirrels, rabbits, phesant, butterflies & bees etc.

So the 45 mins he spends running at the side of me on the bike is less intense than his daily walk.

I spoke to the vet about ‘too much too young’ and he agreed that both breeds he comes from need a lot of exercise and as long as his running isn’t on concrete he’ll be fine.

blanklook

Thanks for all the comments – interesting but there is a general consensus. Will take it easy for a few moths yet but does not seem to be any issue with short slow trips out to get her used to the bike.

DezB
    Free Member

But the video you posted was of dogs who are bred for continuous and intense running

It was just an aside, as I’d seen the film a few days before! Nothing to do with trailhounds. As my second post makes bleedin obvious. (And any previous discussions I’ve been involved in regarding trailhounds).

She will do about 12 to 15 miles before running out of steam
    This sort of thing baffles me. Measuring the distance your dog goes, like it’s some kind of competition. And 15 miles on a mountain bike, what’s that? 2 hours running? Don’t get it. Even when my GSP was at her fittest an hour was easily enough to have her trotting home knackered.

DezB
    Free Member

I walk my Vizsla/GSP cross

Got a pic? Sounds like a gorgeous dog!

tinybits
    Free Member

You’ve got an Irish terrier – getting it to do whatever you want will be a massive battle for the next 3 years – particularly if other dogs are around! My Irish has driven me insane and I love her to bits (now 2.5)

Mine is OK by the bike at 2 years, but I tend to take her out when I’m with my 3year old son so frequent stopping is very normal for us, she’ll get used to it as she matures and loses that juvenile interest in everything.

matt10214
    Free Member

@DezB i’ve plenty but not sure how you post on here?

I’m sure he is as plenty of people tell me when I walk him!

DezB
    Free Member

upload pics to something like photobucket or imgur, then get the address of the uploaded photo and follow the instructions ‘ere – http://singletrackworld.com/forums/forum-help/
    🙂

matt10214
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

yeah 🙂

willstaffs
    Free Member

I have a GSP that is nearly 2 years old, he is walked for 2 hours off the lead everyday and never stops running or hunting for things, I keep meaning to attach my garmin watch to see what distance he is covering.

We do 10-15 miles once a week on the mountain bike with him, he would go everyday if I let him, sits looking at the bike crying somedays. I stop at any water for him to play around and ff we meet a dog that’s willing to play we stop. More often than not I stop for a breather and he continues running around like a loon!

Short video of me chasing him at Nant Yr Arian!

andyl
    Free Member

Aware of the the over-exercise concern – we take her for two walks a day – each about 30-40 mins – that too much?

I would keep it to 30 minutes and concentrate on training to walk on the lead and to heal etc mixed in with some small bits of play. Having to concentrate will knacker the dog out mentally without the need to overdo the physical bit. The fun will keep it enthusiastic.

6 months is not very old at all.

Avoid any riding IMO until 12 months and then build up slowly up to 18 months.

By all means introduce to the dog to the bike around your garden so it knows it will get squished by wheels if it gets in the way and learns to follow the bike or get out of the way if the bike is coming through and doesnt go completely bonkers as soon as the bike comes out and legs it off at full belt through the forest.

For those of you with adult dogs out on the trails please be careful with the dogs temperature. Saw a lovely young dog yesterday collapse from what appears to be simply running around too much and getting too hot. Was very poorly when I saw it and sadly didn’t make it.

Out spaniel is now 9 and is suffering from her youthful exuberance. Was horrible seeing her completely off her feet at Christmas (8 1/2) due to back problems from a very active life and fearless attitude. Has really made us appreciate her it when she is in good health a lot more and she’s off the metacam now and has a good harness for when she on the lead to help. I really miss my best friend out on rides though, not the same now without her as she was an awesome trail dog who loved seeing the bike come out.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

We started Chewie at around a 6 months with a few minutes being chased by me round the field so he was “wheel aware” , he had an unintended 7 miler in the snow at 9 months when he decided that coming with me and the lads on MTBs was more fun than walking with Mrs M.

As I’m reading a VERY terse text from Mrs M, riding buddy looked across the field to comment ” Chewie’s coming with us then….”

It was very slow, like 3 hours to do 7 miles as the snow was so deep.

At 18 months started slowly and gradually ramped up the miles.

He’s 9 now and vet always comments how good his resting heart rate is. He has had joint issues but mainly due to stupid Staffie habits of launching himself at the ball, skidding to a halt and throwing himself out of the car.

Hot days it’s usually either early doors or plan route via cattle troughs/most shade.

wwaswas

Ziggy’s third ride was on Friday. He’s a bit barky (but he always is) but otherwise fine.

http://s239.photobucket.com/user/LukeBurstow/media/VID_107271012_121223_426_zpsuzeyring.mp4.html

Sorry can’t post direct mp4 links so they can be viewed.

myti
    Free Member

She will do about 12 to 15 miles before running out of steam
    This sort of thing baffles me. Measuring the distance your dog goes, like it’s some kind of competition. And 15 miles on a mountain bike, what’s that? 2 hours running? Don’t get it. Even when my GSP was at her fittest an hour was easily enough to have her trotting home knackered.

Dezb not sure why you think that is a competitive statement. I was simply giving info of my experience with my dog who I love like a family member. I’ve known her all her life and spend pretty much all day everyday with her at work and play so I know what she can manage and would not do anything not in her best interest. She gets so many comments on her health, energy and physique from strangers. As a black labrador most of the ones I see about here are obese and i’m sure will struggle far more with their joints and health.

Not sure what relevance your dog being tired from an hours exercise has to me and my dog and 15 miles would probably take us 2.5 to 3 hours as I keep the pace gentle so she doesn’t over stretch herself and we have breaks for water. These longer rides are also limited to winter /autumn temperatures and softer ground conditions. A summer ride would probably be nearer 6 miles.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Chewie at his fittest (40mph)

Speedy Sith Hound!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘TrailDogTrackWorld’ is closed to new replies.