Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Trailbuilders – jumps
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Question for those that build jumps on trails. Why do you build doubles? Is it just the case of the middle of the jump being the easiest place to get the soil for the take off and landing or is it for the added thrill? Asking as a lot of the jumps that are appearing round me are doubles with a 5 foot plus gap in the middle with a great big hole where the soil has been taken from which, as i’m a fan of the case, give me the heebiejeebies. Why not just get the soil from areas close by and possibly fill in the centre section while you’re at it so they can be ridden by everyone, including those that want to roll the whole thing? Just wondering if a double adds excitement or is just a case of cba to move more soil which is fair enough since you’re building them. Always wondered if i would piss a jump builder off by filling in the middle 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

too much effort to build a table without a digger.

alex222
    Free Member

Why do you build doubles?

Finding enough soil to make a double into a table is quite a lot more difficult.

Gotama
    Free Member

And that presumably also ties in with why the soil is taken from the middle. Fair enough, just think there’s more chance of someone clattering themselves on a double where its out of their comfort zone but for whatever reason are giving it a go and then the whole trail gets wrecked.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

also those building big doubles know they can make it, and thats all that matters -innit like

wattsymtb
    Free Member

In my experience it is mainly for 2 reasons:

1) It requires an awful lot more time and effort to build a table.
    2) To stop everyone riding them. There are always loads of kids that hang around jump spots. They don’t contribute in any way towards building or maintenance and if the jumps were all tables there would be a constant flow of kids riding over them and skidding all over the place.

And possibly 3) because it is more extreme and dangerous.

greeble
    Free Member

if you can make a 5 foot gap on a table you can do the same on a 5 foot table thats been turned into a double. its just mind tricks.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Why are you aiming to land in the middle?

Always wondered if i would piss a jump builder off by filling in the middle

I doubt it would piss them off. They’d probably laugh at you for moving several 100kgs of earth for absolutely no purpose, mind…

MrAgreeable

Doubles look dangerous, but they tend to deter people who aren’t sure about their ability from giving it a try. You can also clatter yourself on a table quite easily, for example if you overshoot. The reason doubles tend to get trails demolished is more down to the way they look, and the possibility that someone will be rolling down the trail without realising what’s coming up.

grum
    Free Member

At my (now gone) local jump spot sometimes people would pile up pallets between the doubles, presumably so you could land on them if you came up short.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

presumably so you could land on them impale yourself on rotting timber and rusty nails if you came up short

FIFY

(it was old doors round me)

grum
    Free Member

Yeah it didn’t seem like the greatest plan to me.

Gotama
    Free Member

Greeble – yep, appreciate its mind tricks but there is no out for coming up short and i’m not the most confident jumping. Plus there are some trails where the jump is quite big (in my terms) and i’ve no real interest in pushing myself that far but love the rest of the trail. A table would make it more fun. Obviously all entirely selfish based on my ability and i guess the difference between a funded trail centre and someone’s hard graft in their own spare time which i do appreciate. Bizarrely according to a relatively recent interview i’m one of the few to actually give the guy a token of appreciation which i think is out of order but that is a different story.

legend
    Free Member

grum – Member
    At my (now gone) local jump spot sometimes people would pile up pallets between the doubles, presumably so you could land on them if you came up short.
    POSTED 12 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Ime that’s just done to make it look less daunting rather than use as a safety net. Tabletop > double with something in the gap > double

Also few builders would want to build anything that can be rolled as it leads to the lip being worn down a lot faster, meaning even more maintenance.

Gotama
    Free Member

Never thought of the increased risk of a table – fair comment.

duffmiver
    Free Member

Plus there are some trails where the jump is quite big (in my terms) and i’ve no real interest in pushing myself that far but love the rest of the trail

ride round it?

Gotama
    Free Member

duffmiver – yep but ruins the flow of an otherwise great trail.

GEDA
    Free Member

If I am building wooden take off and landing ramps what are the best angles/profile to use? I built one before with a wooden table in the middle that you could take away that was pretty good but was not sure about the dimensions.

greeble
    Free Member

duffmiver – yep but ruins the flow of an otherwise great trail.

learn to jump.
    start small and work up to it. you’d be suprised once you get a few jumps under you you’ll be hitting that trail and wondering what the fuss was about.

bentudder

Half term, innit.

Incidence of rubbish jumps being built on trails that don’t really take to them goes through the roof during school holidays.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Learn to dig.Then build your own.
    I don’t really think ‘oh I better make this suitable for other people’ when I spend countless hours of hard graft digging in the winter to build trails tbh.

alex222
    Free Member

The technical term is a spaz board I do believe.

grum
    Free Member

Learn to dig.Then build your own.
    I don’t really think ‘oh I better make this suitable for other people’ when I spend countless hours of hard graft digging in the winter to build trails tbh.

OP was perfectly gracious and appreciative of the builder’s efforts, but you still manage to get some self-righteous trail builder arseyness in – bravo! 🙂

unklehomered
    Free Member

If its on legitimate sanctioned trail it would be so they’re rollable and so accessible to all, but this doesn’t sound the case from your OP.

If just built in the woods by yoofs then they build the bit they care about landing and take off. But you wouldn’t get that at a trail centre. FE for example have a thing about In Line enforced air. Its a no go.

ocrider

What pisses me off more than anything are the busy trails that loads of families use which get the gnar treatment. Why can’t people dig an alternate line rather than ruin it for other trail users? Selfish little pricks.

And breathe out!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Why can’t people dig an alternate line rather than ruin it for other trail users?

amen. safer, and more convenient for everybody.

oldnick

And the easiest/safest way to learn to jump is… on a tabletop. Perfectly possible to overshoot a double BTW.

cookeaa

I’d only ever monkey with jumps that looked totally abandoned. If a set of trails looks like its been recently dug/ridden then find something else to ride…

Its all well and good sanitising a trail (that someone else more advanced with jumping was probably quite happy with), but if you’ve got the time to fill in a 5ft gap in a double you’ve got time to build a smaller line a few foot away with rollers, tables and smaller doubles to learn on and then build up to riding the big boys line…

deanfbm
    Free Member

Tabletops are pointless.

If you’re clearing a gap, you’re clearing a gap. If you don’t have the skill, dont attempt it. The danger in jumping isn’t coming short, it’s simply being out of control in the air, a tabletop cant fix that.

As soon as you approach a jump with the intention of landing on the top, it becomes habit and you build up bigger, harder to break mental barriers.

Also as mentioned, too much extra unnecessary work.

You can still fall of the side of a tabletop.

As always, the safest thing is to operate within your own limits.

Its all well and good sanitising a trail (that someone else more advanced with jumping was probably quite happy with), but if you’ve got the time to fill in a 5ft gap in a double you’ve got time to build a smaller line a few foot away with rollers, tables and smaller doubles to learn on and then build up to riding the big boys line…

Excellent advice

ocrider

Excellent advice

Unless the trail predates the digging, which is often the case.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Unless the trail predates the digging, which is often the case

I call that progression

honourablegeorge

deanfbm – Member
    Tabletops are pointless.

If you’re clearing a gap, you’re clearing a gap. If you don’t have the skill, dont attempt it. The danger in jumping isn’t coming short, it’s simply being out of control in the air, a tabletop cant fix that.

As soon as you approach a jump with the intention of landing on the top, it becomes habit and you build up bigger, harder to break mental barriers.

Also as mentioned, too much extra unnecessary work.

You can still fall of the side of a tabletop.

As always, the safest thing is to operate within your own limits.

All that’s well and good for experienced jumpers, but tabletops are useful for people learning to jump. You don’t know what you can clear until you try. It’s best not to figure that out by repeatedly landing in a hole.

unklehomered
    Free Member

The danger in jumping isn’t coming short, it’s simply being out of control in the air, a tabletop cant fix that.

Some of the danger is coming up short if there’s no middle, and getting little bits of air is still fun even if you don’t perfectly hit the down ramp, no need to deny that little bit of fun to everyone, and us ground dwellers don’t always know if we’re going to get all the way there.

Fair enough if you’ve got your own jump spot, but if you’re building in the main line where others ride then there’s a strong argument for building to all skill levels.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ridden by everyone, including those that want to roll the whole thing?

Because if you ‘jump’ you take off on/before and tangential to the lip, causing no wear. If you roll it you’re pushing the bike perpendicular to the lip, wearing it away.

scottfitz
    Free Member

deanfbm
    Free Member

All that’s well and good for experienced jumpers, but tabletops are useful for people learning to jump. You don’t know what you can clear until you try. It’s best not to figure that out by repeatedly landing in a hole.

Answer to that is to do what kids/teens have been doing forever, bits of wood on bricks (could be a mound of earth) and launching off of it over and over. It turns into a long jump competition with marks where everyone is landing. You then make a landing ramp, no gap, then slowly make it longer, not difficult, is it?

and getting little bits of air is still fun even if you don’t perfectly hit the down ramp, no need to deny that little bit of fun to everyone, and us ground dwellers don’t always know if we’re going to get all the way there

Which slowly erodes away other peoples hard work.

Learning skills on bikes takes hard work (physically and mentally), lots of time and acceptance that how easy or hard something is, you will inevitably fall off and hurt yourself.

Seems to me, who is a BMXer who has built trails all their life, MTB is scared of hard work when it comes to building stuff appropriate for their skill level, putting the effort in to learn something or even picking their selves up after falling off and giving it another go. There’s always an excuse, whether it be time/being scared/bike/no right to be building.

Gotama
    Free Member

Deanofbm

I call that progression

But contrary to what you agreed with above as in this case if you have time to build a jump in the middle of an existing trail then you have time to create an alternate line with a jump on? Then everyone that enjoys the trail in its current state can continue to do so and you can go jumpy jumpy. If you built the original trail then its a different point entirely.

scottfitz
    Free Member

A Table top takes a LONG time to build by hand with no logs in it.

about 500 man hours:
    Stoughton DH Table About 700 man hours so far (not finished):

tt

Gotama
    Free Member

Scott – innocent question…why don’t you put logs in it?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

if you can make a 5 foot gap on a table you can do the same on a 5 foot table that’s been turned into a double

But there are no tables, so I can’t learn

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Trailbuilders – jumps’ is closed to new replies.