Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • TrailAddiction or The White Room – Anybody used them, heard good things?
  • ojom
    Free Member

Friends again?

*goes for the reach around special surprise*

j.anstee
    Free Member

Thanks for all your views guys, just booked with TrailAddiction because we fancied a bit more lift assistance!

claire
    Free Member

Has to be TrailAddiction – In my opinion they're the best.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    solamanda
    Free Member

For others reference. I first went on holiday with Trail addition a few years ago. I spent two full weeks in their hospitality as a guest. The package they offer is great. They really do know their stuff and everyone of the team, from guides to chalet hosts and chefs work their arse off to keep guests happy.

Since then I became friends with Ash, one of the founders of Trail addiction. Obviously this makes me biased but let me tell you, from having stayed in the area since and seen how they operate behind closed doors, they REALLY do care about your holiday and have the full package of a MTB holiday down to a fine art.

On the subject of trail knowledge the guys at Trail Addiction are proper map geeks and go to alot of effort to find new trails and offer a great ride. I'm told that Ash reads so many maps if you turned him inside out you'd have a complete world map of all the uber-flow-core singletrack. He is Map and trail Geek Lord. You will not find the best trails without a guide.

Personally I have ridden in excess of 15 different alpine resorts over the years and have spent a season out their touring. This summer I will be riding out there for 3 weeks. I am dedicating a week to Les Arcs as I keep coming back.

You will have a great time with TA.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We went with The White Room as, when we enquired about a part week, TA wanted considerably MORE money than The White Room….

We ended up booking the full week anyway.

Hope the White room know what they've let themselves in for though

This is after 3 nights between 4 of us last year in Les Gets.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I hadn't seen this thread before and I'm a bit sad to see it.

For what it's worth:

I have never been on a Trail Addiction holiday, much less used a GPS on one.

I have never "followed people around". The comment about my Orange is particularly telling on this as I only got it in the last week of August last year, i.e. the week before the lifts closed! For the last 2 summers I have worked (guiding) 5 days a week for every week of the uplift season, so my available "following around" time has been somewhat limited! I'm a bit upset about this as it's completely untrue and I feel it's a bit malicious.

I live in the area year-round and have done for over 3 years, so I have plenty of time to do my own trail-scouting. Much of my trail knowledge comes from riding with locals (always the best way to find out about an area), whether French or the many Brits, Aussies & Kiwis in Sainte Foy. The rest comes from many, many hours poring over maps and many days following lines on them (I have completely worn out 4 maps to the local area!). I also have a French guidebook to the area which was first printed in the early 90's (now out of print, I think) and it describes in detail many of the best trails in the valley. Pretty amazing to see the photos of people riding the same trails we ride now on rigid bikes with cantis! I will freely admit that this book is pure trail-knowledge gold!

As mentioned, yes, I did ask someone about a photo they showed on here. It looked like a cool spot and I didn't recognise it from the photo – but I'd already been there anyway as it turned out.

My guiding qualifications are fully accepted by the French authorities. I have worked damn hard to achieve this and I am most certainly going to shout about it. Whatever qualifications other people do or don't hold is their own business and is openly available information.

Mark's comment about other guides calling me for trail info is perfectly true. When he was out here riding with us, another (well-known) company who shall remain nameless did indeed ring me up and ask if I knew anywhere they could take the group of mountain-bikers they had staying! I mentioned it when I came off the phone as I couldn't quite believe it. However, this certainly wasn't anyone from either BV or TA. I've met most (not all) of the guides and management from both companies and have absolute respect for all of them.

We're very happy to be in Sainte Foy. We think we have some of the best fast-flowing singletrack riding in the valley. During the uplift season, this is 100% gravity-assisted, zero climbing, but the uplift is provided by vans, not lifts. It's a small resort and unfortunately they just can't afford to open the lifts in the summer plus there are also some technical issues with the type of lift. Les Arcs has awesome trails as well, which is why we ride there at least one day every week.

I think anyone coming out to the Tarentaise will have a fantastic time whoever they choose to stay with. I rate both TA and BV highly enough to have sent our guests to stay with them when we were full. TA have been kind enough to do the same for us in the same situation.

I'd really like it if we didn't have to see this kind of thread around again. I'll always be very positive in promoting my own company, but hope I never have been or never will be negative about anyone else's.

Stevo

Time for this thread to be closed?

armchairbiker

Having skied (well snowboarded) in St Foy for the last 4 years and just booked TA for my first alps biking trip I've found this an interesting thread – even with the "slight" fall out.

Steve and WR – I know my wife has actually emailed you for skiing next year. So keen to follow up separately. St Foy is a great resort in winter – so maybe next year in the summer if I can get a pass again…..

So dare I ask what bike for riding in that area?

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘TrailAddiction or The White Room – Anybody used them, heard good things?’ is closed to new replies.