• This topic has 31 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by adhang-spam.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 'trail' walking shoes
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a pair of trail/general walking about shoes?

No idea where to start really but waterproof would be good as a lot of the tracks I walk on are quite muddy.

Something that looks okay with a pair of jeans and not black. Had a look at the salamon x ultra 2 gtx, although I think that’s more of a running shoe. anything else to look at?

footflaps

Five 10 Base Camp 4 with/without GTX, available in three different ankle lengths.

http://www.fiveten.com/us/outdoor

onandon
    Free Member

Big fan of Scarpa mojito for most walking situations. Grippy, comfy and they take a battering.

scotroutes

As with boots, it’s all in the fit. I’m Salomon shaped…

Stoner
    Free Member

My go-to approach shoe of choice these days is the Karrimor Hot Rock from MikeAshley’sanArse&Trek. They’re Lows, but plenty supportive and cheap as chips
    (EDIT – and if you need to wet/winterise them, I use gaiters (either shorts or longs, depending on the length of the wet grass)

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-hot-rock-low-mens-walking-shoes-183714?colcode=18371418

My good walking shoes/boots are mids that I keep in the Alps and made by Ecco and they are superb, but cost a bomb. (£100+)

http://shopeu.ecco.com/uk/en/ecco/xpedition-iii-men_10127507/10127514?navId=206

I’ve never liked salomon approach shoes – too light and weedy.

And dont believe that a Yellow Vibram logo on the sole means anything or has some mystical anti-gravity properties. I mainly avoid any Vibram soled shoes as theyre mostly crap compound/premium sticker stuff. Not the Vibram compounds of old.

iainc

Gary – worth a trip to Go Outdoors – they have a good selection to try and always decent prices. I got current Meindl ones there end of last year, at around half retail

slowoldman

Haglofs Vertigo.

dragon
    Free Member

salamon x ultra 2 gtx, although I think that’s more of a running shoe

No it’s a walking shoe, but with some tech from their running shoes. It’s a really good shoe, and perfect for what you say you want. Only thing to be careful of is the sole wears down quite quickly if used a lot on tarmac.

The Salomon XA Pro 3D GTX will also do what you want, but is officially an adventure racing shoe and the tread isn’t as deep as the X Ultra.

Drac

I have a pair similar to these used them loads hardly worn, extremely comfortable. I wore them on our 62 mile in 23 hours walk in September didn’t get one blister. I’ll be wearing them again in 7 weeks for this year’s 80 mile challenge.

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve a pair of the Salamon X Ultra 2 gtx. Def a walking shoe. Quite comfy, no blisters yet. Wear them lots for general buggering about and mid distance walks

P20

I’ve had a few pairs of Notth Face Hedgehogs. Never really bother looking at anything else to be homest

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Five 10 Base Camp 4

My experience of my camp 4 was that two metal eyelets fell out almost straight away and then they didn’t last long enough before the upper toe area ripped at the point where the rubber rand is glued. They also became misshaped at the heal (but that’s me putting shoes on without untying laces)
    Best most solid ones I’ve experienced are haglofs crag, they still do the vertigo which look just as solid and ROC icon look to be worth a butchers.

tinribz
    Free Member

I really rate my pair of Brasher Countrymaster II GTX . Tough but smart enough to polish up and wear to work. They are hard to come by, think they stopped making them. 😡

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve got some X-ultra’s very comfy, not a running shoe.

I actually don’t like Gore Tex shoes as they keep water in, not out.

benp1

I have 5:10 Dome shoes as my everyday shoe. Very comfy, although the stealth rubber sole seems to be wearing quite quickly all considering, very grippy though

My walking shoes are actually trail running shoes – Salomon Speed Cross 2s

I’ve had a few pairs of goretex shoes and I find the lining doesn’t last long. Helpful in wet grass maybe, but water still comes in over the top depending where you’re walking

Gary_M
    Free Member

The Salomon Speed Cross 2s was another one I was looking at, so they’re fine as a walking shoe?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Hedgehogs are very, very comfortable but not as rugged and waterproof as some. I’ve got various Brasher’s and Scarpa’s and others and to be quite honest all are very comfortable. If push came to shove though I’d probably go with Brasher’s.

cheese@4p

Impressed by 5.10 Guide Tennies. Amazingly grippy on rock, wet or dry. Perfect for riding on flats too.

noltae
    Free Member

Agree pertaining to the limitations of said waterproofness of walking shoes – Gortex can’t do anything about a precariously low upper – Better to size up and partner with a thick pile woolen sock – IMO a much more practical solution to wet feet – However alot of the modern walking trainers do have really great soles for coping with slippy uneven ground – LA Sportiva and INOV8 are my favorites – thing is though if it’s cold enough to necessitate waterproof footwear then higher cut boots are a better option – And if it’s warm then Sandals that allow water to drain away work better – But OP did mention partnering with jeans thus I’m assuming that practical use isn’t of major concern ..

dragon
    Free Member

I actually don’t like Gore Tex shoes as they keep water in, not out.

For general walking I disagree, I can’t think of a single time I’ve had water come over the top. If you need to wade through streams / rivers then it would be a different story, but not many people do that while general walking.

footflaps

I can’t think of a single time I’ve had water come over the top

I can think of plenty eg 3 weeks ago in the Lake District…

Gary_M
    Free Member

But OP did mention partnering with jeans thus I’m assuming that practical use isn’t of major concern .

In general they would be used for low level forest walks, walks to the pub, sometimes on road or through the woods and just general pottering about. I have boots for more technical walking that doesn’t involve jeans 🙂

benp1

Depends on the walking. Try walking in peaty soft moorland or anywhere with tussocks. Dry feet only on hard sections

Speedcross 2s are fine for walking, I’ve done many miles in mine, but the grip is VERY off road biased. If you’re doing much on tarmac they feel a bit wierd due to the agressive sole, they feel a bit squirmy on pavements etc, although it’s fine once you get used to it. But that deep tread is fantastic off road

I don’t mind wet feet though

Gary_M
    Free Member

Waterproof isn’t really a deal breaker. I’m erring on the side of speedcross 3’s, the gtx version is only available in black or hideous colours so they’re out.

norbert-colon

Aren’t speedcrosses more of a running shoe?

I’m sure they’d be comfy for walking too, just not a ‘trail shoe’?

I was interested in a pair for running off road where normal trainers won’t grip.

jimjam
    Free Member

Gary_M –

In general they would be used for low level forest walks, walks to the pub, sometimes on road or through the woods and just general pottering about. I have boots for more technical walking that doesn’t involve jeans

Speedcross 3 would be a bad choice for this. They are a fell running / adverse conditions running shoe. If you need to go Salomon look at the Wings range or the XA range. They won’t look as rad down the pub, but they will be more comfortable.

If you contact Salomon themselves they should echo this, as should any decent shop.

I got a free pair of Speedcross 3s to try a while back and I didn’t really like them at all, not even for their intended purpose of trail running. For standing about and general bimbling, not very nice either.

Brooks Cascadia 10 and Asics Fuji are much better trail running shoes, and they are more comfortable for general walking and wearing.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of these and rate them. Mind you not really used them in proper “trail” mode, use them for casual wear.

Cougar

worth a trip to Go Outdoors – they have a good selection to try and always decent prices.

I’d second that, worth trying a few on to see what works for you.

Also throw my 2p in with Salomon. I got a pair of Vega approach shoes that I lived in for several years, when I finally semi-retired them as “past their best” I replaced them with another pair. So now I’ve got the newer day-to-day shoe and an older “doesn’t matter if I get them really crapped up” pair.

epicyclo

FunkyDunc – Member
    …I actually don’t like Gore Tex shoes as they keep water in, not out.

I find that with most footwear. It’s boggy round here and if you wear shoes/boots you end up avoiding the interesting stuff.

I solved the problem by doing what the ancestors used to do – wear footwear that lets the water out quickly – usually Keen sandals combined with SealSkinz socks if it’s cold.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. After a lot of consideration yesterday I went for the Salomon XA Pro 3D GTX, they were a decent price on wiggle and the blue version was subdued enough for my taste.

Cheers

kcal

I used Merrels for ages but in the end swapped for Tre Zeta – then tried Salomons. Revelation, and wouldn’t go back. Just for knocking about and comfortable walking generally.

My Salomons were about £75 in Cotswold IIRC.

deepreddave
    Free Member

I’m breaking in my first pair of Ecco walking shoes and it’s a frustrating process. Up to c100mls in total mostly in single figure miles walks as otherwise they rub at the heel. They’re also quite a narrow fit which I didn’t expect. Am persevering as they were expensive and I’m interested in how the camel leather lasts (no pun intended).
    To the OP go outdoors is a decent shout.
    My Hanwag all season boots feel built to last but don’t know what shoes if any they do.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘'trail' walking shoes’ is closed to new replies.