Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Trail suggestions easily accessible from the M6 (between Kendal-Penrith area)
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Every year me and a few mates usually do an xmas eve ride around where my hometown is (Hexham), however this year a few other mates who live down near Manchester and Preston would like to join so I have been looking for some trails that we would be able to meet in the middle at.

So far the obvious place seems to be somewhere easily accessible from the M6, the only trail I really know along there would be that of Nan Bield/Gatesgarth Pass and parking at the top of Haweswater.

Would anyone be able to suggest any other places that have a few decent trails that won’t be a total slop pot? A pub for a decent pub lunch afterwards is required also.

Cheers in advance!

stevestunts
    Free Member

This is a belter, but no good if the weather isn’t on your side:

Bowderdale

MartynS

I’m sure STW did a route from tebay services once…
    Or what about something around stavley (I did a ride from the vgraphics book) you start at wheelbase

martinhutch

Another vote for something out of Staveley, weather permitting.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Another vote for Staveley,all dual carriageway from the M6 so easy to get to,plus Wilfs cafe & Lakeland brewery next door.
    Sam Houghton Challenge route sets off from there,I’m sure you could find some route info on the web.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Agreed Kendal based and going to Staveley will avoid the longer routes , enable easy parking and also give you wilfs

Nan Bield and Garburn will be rideable whatever the weather – by which I mean it wont be overly boggy except for some parts of the lower Nan Bield descent

When you going – possibly tag along/navigate possibility.

ALso depends what you want to ride Gnar, CX, or XC route

boxelder

Askham or Pooley Bridge (junc 40) – over Moor Divock and down to How town, lakeside rocky tech BW past Silver Crag and return via Boredale Hause and Beda Fell and east side of lake.

danposs86

This is a belter, but no good if the weather isn’t on your side:

Bowderdale

Don’t do Bowderdale at the moment! Did it recently and its a sloppy mess (although it was nothing but laughs, it would have been much better if we has grip on the main descent). Wait until the ground has gone some substance to it though as it is a bloody awesome ride.

As mentioned, Staveley is a safe bet and good route, plus some very nice places to eat back at the car park.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Boxelders route gets my vote, be aware you need to access Askham from the A66 at Brougham though the crossings are closed at Brougham Castle, Eamont Bridge, and Pooley Bridge.

johnx2
    Free Member

Bowderdale

Shorter and ridable is Sedbergh/Howgill on the road, ride past Castle Knot then tough push up White Fell, then you’ve a good ride round the valley head past the Calf, over Bram Rigg to Calders, and fast as you dare fun descent over Arant Haw and Winder.

Or some version of the Kentmere Horseshoe – check strava

tomaso
    Free Member

Askham is easy to get to as Boxelder says.

Tebay over Roundthwaite is good and rocky but it’s a little soft in places

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Trail suggestions easily accessible from the M6 (between Kendal-Penrith area)’ is closed to new replies.