Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Trail SPD pedals with platforms?
  • stevied
    Free Member

I’ve got some XTR race SPD’s that are great for normal XC stuff but, as I’m doing a bit more gnarr (uplifts etc), I’m looking at some platform SPD’s to give me a bit more support/larger platform for missed clip-in’s..
    Are the XTR’s worth the extra over XT and is there any other options I should look at?
    Steve

warpcow
    Free Member

Ime the paltform on the trail-type Shimano pedals doesn’t offer much apart from making it slightly easier to clip in. The DX ones are slightly better, but you might want to look beyond Shimano.

zilog6128

When I was at BPW last week I didn’t see anyone (apart from me!) with non-platform SPDs so started to have similar thoughts. Spoke to a few people with Crank Bros Mallets who really rated them which the reviews online seem to back up. I’ve bought some and will get a ride in at the weekend so will report back!

warns74
    Free Member

I’ve been using Shimano DX (M647) pedals for years on my trail bikes for all types of riding and find them great all-rounders. Platform gives decent extra support and seem pretty tough.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mallet user for the last 6 years I reckon. Great pedals.

VanHalen

fit and forget – shimano/time (not xtr)
    nice feel – crank brothers mallets

having ridden both mallets and spd’s i prefer mallets due to the extra float available. I’m happy to sacrifice a few evenings a year greasing them to have teh float. i guess its what you are used to.

welshfarmer

I have tried the platform DX pedals but find they don’t work that well with my current shoes which are “traditional” type MTB SPD shoes with big side grips and the cleat quite recessed. I think I need to try them with some flat soled SPD shoes (AM45, 5.10 type) to see if they are any better.

toronte
    Free Member

It depends on your shoes. My shoes are so stiff I didn’t see any benefits of the M530’s I’ve used. Currently I use an M970 on my Enduro. No issues even when riding park, lighter by 100g than the M530.
    Wouldn’t bother buying XTR though. That 100g doesn’t justify the costs for me.

pt81
    Free Member

MX6/8 fit and forget;-) l’m a exCB user.

duir
    Free Member

If you go the Shimano route I found the M530’s bearings didn’t last too long before they developed a really annoying creak/click. Same thing with both set’s I had. Switched to the XT Trail version which have been absolutely hammered on a bike with a low bottom bracket and had zero problems. They are also stupidly easy to service and you can even leave the pedals on the bike when servicing.

Crank brothers look pretty but have a bad reputation for durability. That said, the pair I had were reliable but the appalling soft brass cleats were not. They would wear down in no time and need replacing every few months or cause involuntary unclips which was down right dangerous. I was at the time living in Scotland so did lots of hike-a-bike rides or non uplift downhilling that was a push up to the top so that probably didn’t help.

For uplift days it’s hard to beat Shimano DX M647 for cost, durability and a reassuring loud click when you clip in/out.

rocketman
    Free Member

It depends on your shoes

it does indeed

Shoes are the other half of the SPD equation and Shimano’s marketing team have tried to make us think that the part of the pedal that the shoes aren’t shouldn’t be in contact with actually makes a difference lol

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’ve had the opposite experience to duir. I’m running two pairs of M530 trail pedals and I see no reason to spend extra on the XT or XTR versions. Both pairs are looking pretty battered now, after 18 months of constant use, but the bearings are still tight and smooth.

deviant
    Free Member

Interesting thread for me, i’ve recently pondered the move to riding mountain bikes clipped in.

I ride a road bike with cleats (Shimano) so dont have a problem remembering i’m clipped in etc, my only concern with regard to mountain bikes is how quickly i can bail out of the bike in a crash situation.

The riding i enjoy is steep, techy stuff and i love hardtails….what i’ve started to notice is that my feet get banged off the pedals sometimes due to the lack of rear end bounce, i think being clipped in would be the way to go….it should also help me pull up with my feet to go light over rough stuff when required.

My question for those who do this already is how easily/quickly can you unclip?….do MTB clips have more float than my petty secure road clips etc etc?

rocketman
    Free Member

how easily/quickly can you unclip?

Am a big fan of the SH56 multi-release cleats because I find the upwards-and-sideways movement a lot easier and quicker than the single release cleats especially when starting to topple over. Also with the spring tension wound right up it’s possible to ‘pre-release’ if necessary

The single release cleats need a definite sideways movement to unclip but they’re less prone to accidental disengagement

toronte
    Free Member

I think my shimano cleats have less float than my look red cleats (9 degree if I remember well). So I suppose it’s about the same as grey cleats, which are normal 4,5 degree ones.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Trail SPD pedals with platforms?’ is closed to new replies.