Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 'Trail' SPD – or SPD with a bit more support
  • DickBarton

Having a nosey around for some new pedals and I’m thinking I’m in need of some pedals with slightly wider platform. The new design of the XT SPDs (and the cheaper versions), seems to look good, but the reviews are stating that the platform offers no support – so if there anything else out there that might do the trick?

Needs to be SPD as I discovered at the weekend that I cannot ride in flats these days and I’ve no interest in re-learning how to.

Thanks.

scotroutes

Crank Bros Mallet E

b45her
    Free Member

HT x-1 pedal are very very supportive.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    warns74
    Free Member
    rocketman
    Free Member

As above it’s all in the shoes

The pedals are just brackets to attach your feet to the cranks

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m thinking I’m in need of some pedals with slightly wider platform

Why do you think that.

I’ve got some, and some shimano DX shoes which you’d think were ideal for them. They’re useless, the platform just gets in the way of clipping in, on every other bike I be clipped in within a fraction of a second, with those it’s repeated attempts to kick the cleat down into the mechanism until you get it in.

The only pedals they made sense on were eggbeaters where the exposed mechanism was prone to being damaged, but I’ve never hit a shimano pedal hard enough to break it.

And you still can’t really ride them without clipping in (I’ve never found any clipped ‘trail’ pedal that worked as a flat pedal).

ads678

I use these on my big bike http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-m424-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod7808 They work great if I have to dab and can’t clip in straight away on techy bits. Use with shimano AM45 spd shoes.

or you could get the slightly fancier ones http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-m647-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod4516

Edit: typical STW, two completely opposing views in two posts!!

SirHC

As others have said above, the shoes play a big part in the support. Floppy skate shoes with spd’s bodged onto the bottom need a good platform. Shimano AM45’s, Spesh Clips/Cliplites, Fiveten Impacts/Falcons will be fine with some like the XT trail.

I find the XT trail cage protects the clip mechanism and something to perch on when clipping in. Shimano should be releasing a new DH clip with a cage more like the mallet at some point, so should offer a little more grip when not clipped in.

DickBarton

I forgot my cycling shoes on Saturday so did the ride in trainers on ‘race’ spds (or spds until marketing got involved!)…lower legs were very painful and I realised it was due to no real support for my foot…trainer was wider than my cycling shoe and foot wasn’t really on the pedal.
    Thinking about it I’ve had that a fair few times over last few months in my cycling shoes so I’m thinking my foot isn’t really supported these days…unsure what has changed to make this happen though.

So now having a look about for platform spd pedals…in case I decide to buy some to see if it does stop the sharp pains.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Summary from a previous thread, shimano trail pedals are not for support. Mallet e is good but the Mallet dh is wider and works well with a flat soled spd shoe

Del

times

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I have been riding SPDs for 23 years or so, Trail ones since they were launched and have never found them to be any good with any shoes if you want some sort oif platform feel. AM45s with XTR trails and there’s zero contact and zero grip when unclipped.

Switched the Mallet Es this weekend and can confirm that there is masses more shoe/pedal contact and they feel much more solid when clipped or not.

However, I can also confirm that they need a much bigger twist to unclip as my falling on my side three times this weekend when going up some very steep, very muddy climbs will attest! Literally have never NOT got unclipped before (started with SPDs at 15 so they are totally second nature) but the Mallets caught me out.. Will stick with them though as the improved feel was much nicer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

However, I can also confirm that they need a much bigger twist to unclip as my falling on my side three times this weekend when going up some very steep

Got the cleats in the fast release way round? Mine come out as predicted same spot every time, tried the bigger angle and it didn’t feel as good.

andyl
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of the Shimano trail SPDs. Used to use traditional 540’s but tried some of the cheap “Deore” spec 530’s and promptly fitted them to all my bikes as you could pick them up for very cheap (£12-15).

I do use shimano SPD shoes that I would say are their mid range (all velco but metal studs, chunky tread etc).

hughjayteens
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Got the cleats in the fast release way round? Mine come out as predicted same spot every time, tried the bigger angle and it didn’t feel as good.

Yes, I double checked that. They come out fine, but the twist is further than is needed with SPDs, and the increased show/platform/pins contact means the twist is firmer too.

Will be fine with a few more rides under my belt I am sure.

warpcow
    Free Member

Time MX-whatever. The extra platform is better than nothing.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Update if anyone is interested. Haven’t fallen off or got stuck since that first ride so after 23 years of SPD use it hasn’t taken long to tune into the Mallet system and IMHO it’s much better. Can also ride with flat shoes very easily which was almost impossible with the SPD pedals.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘'Trail' SPD – or SPD with a bit more support’ is closed to new replies.