Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Trail running shoes, Advice
  • Rscott
    Free Member

So im having trouble with a bum shoulder, Getting surgery in a few months, but its given me issues riding my bikes.

I started running mainly off road, with a little on road. I have a budget of around £60 but have quite a wide foot 8.5uk E width.

I have new balance at the min but after 4 runs they are biting the back of the ball of my foot causing a blister.

what recomendations have you got. Im running 5miles 4 times a week

smurfly13
    Free Member

Merrell Barefoot range…. if you are willing to go for that style.

Very wide and very comfortable (surprisingly!)

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

inov-8 talon 212, recomended to me via this forum, love them. my feet are wide’ish and they fit me superbly.

piemonster

What sort of “trails”?

Canalside, fields, mountain paths?

scruff9252

More mile Cheviots. Got mine for about £24 delivered and a cracking pair of trail shoes.

Rscott
    Free Member

fields, footpaths, as i say abit of amix not running up any mountains,just genral muddy footpathsround the white peaks/yorkshire boarder.

stox
    Free Member

Swapped my new balance for adidas kanadias and they’ve been great so far.
    Way more grip and support the the NB and only cost £38

Bregante

Recommending a shoe to someone is pretty much impossible tbh. What works for me* may not work for you. You really do have to try them on and see why works.

*Asics Gel Fuji Attack.

piemonster

More Mile Cheviots will do if they fit. Same with the Kanadias.

The Cheviots I’ve had haven’t lasted too long mind you. But they’re cheap.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Salomans all day long for me! Whichever brand you choose don’t believe the motion control vs cushioning for pronators/supinators crap it is all PR, no effect on injury prevalence or reduction. Science says go for a comfortable shoe that makes your feet feel secure, but not overly cushioned. So try lots, ignore the shop guys and go with what feels similar to your road shoes. Try barefoot shoes if you want, but you will get pain if you have not used them before (unless you have grown up going everywhere barefoot, your gait has adapted to shoes, so no shoes = unexpected loading and impact = pain. This effect is even true in Kenyan marathon runners).

Mugboo

Kanadia Goretex here.

Pieface

Adidas are quite narrow otherwise a good shoe.

Mizuno wave ascend / harriers are nice and roomy.

Jamie
    Free Member

The Cheviots I’ve had haven’t lasted too long mind you. But they’re cheap.

Fascinating fact, they are one of the only shoes to give me a blister on the back of my heel. Other than that, bang on for the money.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What’s the difference between Cheviot & Cheviot 2 ?

The moors are that slippery at the minute that my current trainers risk giving me a nasty groin injury!

Its either that or ‘cheap’ Salomons at twice the price

ontor
    Free Member

Go and try out a load at a decent shop with a treadmill

seadog101

Adidas are quite narrow otherwise a good shoe

Agreed, Kanadias that have are a size bigger than usual, but have a very tight toe box. However, a great shoe at the price.

Jamie
    Free Member

What’s the difference between Cheviot & Cheviot 2 ?

The main difference between the Cheviot and Cheviot 2 is the fit of the upper, and improved outsole durability. It is also a slightly lower profile and is ‘race aggressive’.

…is what the dude at Start Fitness once told me.

Rscott
    Free Member

Been looking at the Addidas once and a few Asics and muzumos, tried them on a tred mill but it wasnt anything like the running I do.
    Plus a little pricie for me at the min.

The addidas were a little tight and I needed a 9.5 to fit.

for those that have tried the more miles how do they compare to the other makes new balance, muzumo’s etc

ahwiles
    Free Member

£60 would get you a pair of walsh-es.

perhaps a bit too gnarly to be recommended for anything less than a proper boggy fell run. but right now that’s any run not on a pavement.

but really, your feet are the best judge.

mikey74
    Free Member

Could it be your socks? What are you wearing? I’ve found they certainly make a difference.

Rscott
    Free Member

http://www.lyst.com/shoes/new-balance-mens-mt710-trail-running-shoe-navyyellow/

these are the shoes i have they are great grip size however Newbalance for some reason thought it would be wise for those yellow triangle to not just be part of the design but arch into the shoe as well. crating a preasure point.

When just walking around in them they are fine but once running you start to notice it very quickly

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just taken a punt on the More Miles Cheviot 2’s at £29!

Jamie
    Free Member

Anyone using Start Fitness, START10 code gives you 10% off.

Whoops. It’s expired. Works on Start Cycles, strangely.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Still cheaper on ebay though

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Went out in my new Cheviot 2’s for the first time tonight.

Quite a light shoe, basic ish construction. On Tarmac they are not great (they never will be) off road on firmer terrain they can still be a little harsh. On soft grass/moorland they are amazing, loads of grip!

I would say they are more for proper off road mud roots, and a bit extreme for general trail running.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

+1 for socks, Get a good quality pair with cushioning.

Its a shame the new balance don’t work as they are one of the only brands who a great range of widths in their shoes.

Asics Fuji Attack and Trail lahar are the best selling trail shoes. Good solid shoes with a good back up from the brand. Both models can come with Gore-tex which is a bonus as wet feet blister easily.

Mizuno again are great quality shoes, Wave Harrier is a good one.

Salomon look at the XA PRO.

All the above are great all round shoes that are neutral in terms of support and also break in easily. You’d be best to avoid the niche brands and more racing shoes.

Its really worth trying them on if you can, or try a mail order retailer you can order, try at home (carpet test) and send back.

banjax34
    Free Member

got these last week ,salomon fellraiser, awesome grip !
    fellraiser

mjb

Salomon XR Crossmax are the comfiest shoes I’ve used and ideal for the sort of running you describe. Got my last pair for £60 with a bit of shopping around, not entirely sure they still make them though. Worth having a look at the various XT or XA models, they can usually picked up for about £60 somewhere on the web.

ross980
    Free Member

Funkydunc – slight thread hijack re Cheviot 2. Which eBay seller did you get them from and what is the sizing like?
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/more-miles-cheviot-2-trail-running-shoes-sizing

Cheers

mogrim

La Sportiva (Ultra) Raptors, great shoes.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I used exercise direct on ebay.

Sizing wise I went 1/2 size bigger. I have quite wide feet and Ibwould say for me the Cheviots are slightly too long, but not wide enough. Saucony shoes fit me better.

I’m still very impressed with them though as a mud/moorland shoe, definitely too aggressive though for running more than 1k etc on things like forest double track etc.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Trail running shoes, Advice’ is closed to new replies.