Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Trail running
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

Really got into running this year and have started to venture onto some of my local trails and woodland. I’ve been using some very cheap and cheerful generic running shoes which aren’t doing my feet much good nor are they even remotely grippy off road. So, I thought I’d get myself some decent trail running shoes and kit.

Salomon speedcross 3’s seem to get good reviews. Anyone own a pair?

Spin
    Free Member

The usual story, whatever fits your feet best. For straight trail running rather than fell running you don’t need a massively agressive sole. Innov8 are worth checking out too.

mtbben
    Free Member

They have great grip and are really comfy. Also pretty light and although not waterproof they do dry out very quickly. My pair split around the little toe area on both shoes after approximately 80k’s. This was a bit of a disappointment but I continued to wear them until they nearly fell apart. A few of my friends have the speedcross but haven’t had the same issues so guess it must be the shape of my feet. I’ve now replaced them with the fell raiser model. This looks more hard wearing but equally light. No problems to report yet as I’ve only covered about 30k in them.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

It’s possible I’ll do some fell running but it will only be a handful of times a year (if I’m lucky!). Are the fell raisers more fell running orientated than the speedcross?

mtbben
    Free Member

I think the fellraiser are supposed to better in the wetter/muddier conditions but the soles look almost identical to me. Both are light and very comfy. I don’t think you can go far wrong with either.

jonnyrockymountain

I’m liking my new asicis endura 8

Pieface

Sweatshop are having a sale at the moment, of note are the Mizuno Wave harriers. Nice and low profile and good for runs where a lot of running is off-road.

Also the Mizuno wave ascend is a trail shoe but quite heavy.

They are selling the Adizero XT thats a really nice shoe, good levels of firm cushioning and grip that is good for most stuff apart from really muddy stuff. Otherwise the Adidas Kanadia is a good all-round trail shoe but quite a thick sole. Adidas are quite narrow / short so go up at least a half size to normal.

scotroutes

FWIW, I use the Speedcross 3s – but then I have the shape of foot that Salomons fit really well and I buy them for running, walking, mountaineering etc,

schmiken

I’ve got Speed cross 3s as well. Really rate there, light grippy and dry well. But I have Salomon shaped feet…

jimmy

I had speedcross 2’s and loved them for the first run. From then on they were always too narrow. I now have a pair of Asics I picked up in Decathlon f’cheap and they’re great because they fit so good.

Bregante

I’m just about to replace a pair of Asics Gel Fuji Attack which are a decent compromise trail shoe. My usual runs are a mixture of road and bridleway which tend to get quite muddy from September onwards but these have lasted really well.

A quick Google suggests that I can pick a new pair up for a little over £40 so I’ll probably go for another pair.

Travis

I have Adidas XT, nice light and grippy.
    Since my road shoes are Adidas Adios, they are just the off road version.

I haven’t been through puddles with them though.

wishiwascalledsteve

I use Adidas Kanadias and I’m happy with them. Most of my running is a mix of tarmac and offroad (as much offroad as I can), so full on fell shoes would have been too grippy for the road sections. Used them for full on fell/mountain running and they never felt out of their depth then.
    I have tried Salomon Speedcross in the past but they didnt fit my feet well and gave me pressure pains on the outside of my feet.

jamesr
    Free Member

Standard advice: Try before you buy, preferably somewhere that know what they are selling.
    If you’re in Yorks/Lancs, I can recommend irun Sports between Halifax and Hebden Bridge. An independent shop run by a qualified coach. Great service and he’s online too.
    For brands, I’d throw La Sportiva into the mix too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Trail running’ is closed to new replies.