Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Trail recommendation?
  • talulah
    Free Member

Hi, we are on our way North shortly going along the M40, M6 up to Glentress/Innerleithen. Wondered if anyone could recommend a nice trail centre to ride at en route and within short distance, as we don’t have much time and don’t often get up that way? Have done a bit of the Lakes on the way up previously. Fanks if you can 🙂

lucien

Cannock just off the M6, not that I’d call it “North” though.

Whinlatter is about 20 miles from M6

hora
    Free Member

Drumlanrig?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Whinlatter

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Whinlatter

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whinlatter, you can head back up to carlisle on the way out.
    Grizedale is a PITA to get round to on the way past, otherwise Newcastleton for a short stop

amodicumofgnar

Ae is probably the closest to the motorway. Whinlatter would be about next – A66 makes it quite quick to get to Keswick.

Guisburn would be my recomendation. M65 to Blackburn, A6119, A666 – well you have to really, A59 then pick your route over. B6478 has good views but there are back road options.

Getting back – minor road through forest and over tops to Clapham then A65 back to M6.

talulah
    Free Member

Thanks very much had a look a those…Whinlatter is lovely but we’ve been twice so I think we may try Gisburn this time. Newcastleton quite nice too but have ridden that a lot it’s fair to say!

hora
    Free Member

For the extra driving. I’d avoid Gisburn.

Trekster

You could do Ae then follow the back road up to Loch Ettrick, over to Thornhill and pop into Drumlanrig. Then take the Dalveen Pass road over to the ’74 up to Abington and on to GT. Some ace riding and some lovely scenery.
    Cafes at both Ae and Drumlanrig as well as Thornhill = Thomas Tosh, gallery and cafe 😆

2 for the price’o one 😆

talulah
    Free Member

ok sold….cannot wait now! thx 8)

amodicumofgnar

Go on Hora buy into it, it’s a good idea, motorway or reasonable A-road for most of the way. The stuff that isnt is senic and you split the minor road stuff by doing the ride. 20ish miles extra compared to going straight up M6. Seems I was wrong about Whinlatter at 40ish miles there and back from Penrith.

martinhutch

If it’s tomorrow, the cafe will be open at Gisburn – but as a PSA, there are no loos at the trailhead itself.

talulah
    Free Member

thanks for all your info, had a fantastic time. Went to Drumlanrig, really beautiful and very different to the others. Cycle museum was interesting as well. Gisburn may be next time!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Trail recommendation?’ is closed to new replies.