• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ianv.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Trail / nutter hardtail for 15 year old
  • charliemort

like look of Whyte 901, but over budget

are there any good value options in that style – longish fork, short stem, wide bars etc.? Guess in the £600 – £800 range

thanks

Duffer
    Free Member

Apart from a 456?

kayak23

A Whyte for a 16 year old? What 16 year old has heard of Whyte?

A bit sort of ‘grown-up’ isn’t it? 😉

What about something a bit more hooligan?

NS Bikes Clash?

Commencal Ramones?

Dialled Holeshot?

I would have said Charge Blender but I think they’ve maybe stopped making them. May be some second hand ones about. Brilliant ragging hardtail.

Duane…
    Free Member

As above really. DMR Trailstar? Giant STP? Something along those lines.

How tall is he? When you say trail/nutter bike, do you mean XC with his dad, and a bit of playing around, or being used for “proper” DH riding, dirtjumping (I know DH and DJ are totally different), that sort of thing?

zilog6128

The 901 is a great bike, but as said above ^^^ probably suited more to XC/trail than anything else. I have a 905 frame in decent condition going spare (same frame as 901 IIRC just different decals) if you want to go down the 2nd hand route. It’s currently built up using spares from my parts cupboard so could offer as a full bike too. Let me know if interested.

charliemort

@ duane – XC with his Dad (or uncle – me) / larking around

@ zilog – he’s quite small (5′ 4″ ish but due to grow! what size is your 901?

_tom_
    Free Member

Trailstar and be done with it imo! Cheap and fun for a bit of everything.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

My evil sovereign frame in small…

br
    Free Member

@ zilog – he’s quite small (5′ 4″ ish but due to grow! what size is your 901?

Do not buy something for him to ‘grow into’. Buy something that fits, and if/when he grows just swap the frame out.

zilog6128

Charlie, it’s a 2010 medium. Geometry here http://www.whytebikes.com/2010/905.html As above though, might be a bit of a stretch for someone 5′ 4″ (I’m 5′ 9″ and it fits me perfectly!) I don’t think he’d have enough standover height TBH

tymbian
    Free Member
    tymbian
    Free Member
    Scapegoat

kayak23 – Member
    A Whyte for a 16 year old? What 16 year old has heard of Whyte?

A bit sort of ‘grown-up’ isn’t it?

My 15-year-old’s just built himself a Soul. He had the choice of any frame within his budget, was shown NS, Dialled, Nukeproof, Genesis, Orange, Sanderson, Ragley, (he already had an Mmmmbop as a donor), but couldn’t be persuaded to go for anthing else. 😀
    Don’t think he could be described as needing a small though

ianv
    Free Member

Old style chameleon, before the ebb. Should be cheap but tis an excellent tough all rounder.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Trail / nutter hardtail for 15 year old’ is closed to new replies.