Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Trail Maintenance (Rant Warning)
  • Frodo

Today I got home early from work so I decided to have a quick blast around Chinley Churn. Having heard horror stories about the wantom trail vadalism taking place in the Peak District I was a little concerned. This was my first time up Chinley Churn since early Autumn due to the British Monsoon season and the sensitive nature of the moorland trails up Chinley Churn.

What can I say, it was bloody brilliant!

I’ve now seen several topics about the wantom destruction of Peak District trails. With the exception of Wibbly Lane and the Stanage Causeway which I would concede is equivilent to ecological trail vandalism; many of the trails complained about have been much improved.

Coldwell Clough – Needed for Mountain Rescue access! Initially I was worried about this but when I rode it it was only as far as the crossroads. The interesting upper section was intact and the rubbish eroded lower section repaired. Its not perfect but it will bed in over time and vehicle ruts may actually add some interest!

Straberry Hill (Bridleway through Mellor Golf Course) – Now a good climbing route. The new surface is alraedy bedding in and in a few years nice berms will have formed. Not the same but enjoyable and fast.

Aspenshaw Hall Bridleway – Before unrideable, awful and closed. Now resurfaced. Again not the same but a good climb, fast fun decent with decent drainage installed that will work.

There are many other examples. We as a dicipline are going to lose credibility with the National Park and DCC if we complain about every maintenance scheme. Many are far less than perfect but they are rights of way for everyone. Its also a working landscape and farmers and landowners have a right to access there land.

If we to retain credibilty we need to pick our battles work with landowners and other user groups.

Right the soap box is away, start the flamethrowers!

Rich

njee20
    Free Member

Wanton. Not wantom.

jam-bo

Mmmmm. Crispy wonton.

Frodo

pedant

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

pendant

Trekster

njee20 – Member
    Wanton. Not wantom.

Their land not “there land”

If we are to retain any credibilty we need to pick our battles and work with landowners and other user groups.

Too true 💡

nedrapier

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Trail Maintenance (Rant Warning)’ is closed to new replies.