Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • trail maintenance
  • spchantler
    Free Member

right, how many people regularly go out and look after their local trails? my local woods are a bit f*&ked at the mo, big ruts, muddy holes etc. i try and get out when i notice it getting bad, but i’ve only ever seen young lads out, building jumps. you know those lovely trails in the videos? they don’t get like that by accident, maybe if we looked after the trails a bit more, we wouldn’t get moaned at so much…rant over

donsimon
    Free Member

I used to dig channels to clear water off the trails as folks preferred riding around and simply widening them.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Did a couple of hours on sunday evening righting some wrongs.Nice bit of trail trail-proper twisty ,rocky ,8″ wide track you can ride pretty much flat out.So what do riders do?Bash an arrow straight run on the shoulder through the heather…really wtf 👿

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spchantler
    Free Member

simply widening them.

my pet hate

spchantler
    Free Member

I used to dig channels to clear water off the trails

yes just been doing this today. maybe we should have a trail building top tips?

Mugboo

If I’m out on my own then its 50/50 riding and building. On the plus side all the trails within 30 mins ride are superb 🙂

And it makes dog walking more interesting too.

Why carry on riding that boggy section or ducking under that over hanging branch when its so easily sorted. Plus, if you sort out the wet bits then the local moaners don’t even notice you’ve been riding..

And if your a new Dad, buy a carrier and get your kicks with a folding saw.

donsimon
    Free Member

yes just been doing this today. maybe we should have a trail building top tips?

Probably open a can of worms as it can be subjective. I’ll clear sitting water as it’s detrimental to the trails but won’t cut back branches as they’re natural obstacles, others will cut down branches.

wl
    Free Member

Never bothered until floods wrecked a local cracker. Spent 30 mins dropping rocks into a couple of 4ft deep trenches that were unrideable. The trail’s better than ever now IMO (by better I mean sketchier and more challenging but still rideable, just).

Del

right, how many people regularly go out and look after their local trails?

now and then.

brooess
    Free Member

I’m lucky I ride in Surrey Hills and Hurtwood a very organised about trail maintenance. You learn a lot.
    Very satisfying to tidy a trail up and over time see the benefit of the work
    Amazing what a small group of well-organised volunteers can do too

Edric64
    Free Member

Why carry on riding that boggy section or ducking under that over hanging branch when its so easily sorted. Plus, if you sort out the wet bits

A pet hate is people doing exactly this learn to ride the boggy bit and duck under the branch why sanitize everything .We had a hole in a trail in our local woods that was a challenge to ride clean but some sod kept filling it in we had to dig it out the gravel they filled it with several times before they gave up

spchantler
    Free Member

learn to ride the boggy bit

i can ride the boggy bits, what happens when the boggy bit becomes 50 yards long, and 6 foot wide instead of a nice bit of singletrack?

donsimon
    Free Member

A pet hate is people doing exactly this learn to ride the boggy bit and duck under the branch why sanitize everything .We had a hole in a trail in our local woods that was a challenge to ride clean but some sod kept filling it in we had to dig it out the gravel they filled it with several times before they gave up

See?

edoverheels
    Free Member

I build and maintain trails all the time. See very little evidence of anyone else doing anything worthwhile except at our organised dig day, even moving branches or fallen trees as above. All that seems to happen now is people straightlining corners. I don’t think that it is selfish I just think that trail maintenance just doesn’t seem to occur to most people.

spchantler
    Free Member

See?

aarrgh (annoyed with singletrack forum) not yet ready to flounce off tho 🙂

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yup, we do quite a lot of working maintaining our local trail network. Always have loads of plans for wee sections that could be improved by a little bit of work, but essential maintenance always seems to get in the way. Last two Spring seasons have been manic trying to clear fallen trees (a freak snowfall on 1st June last year and a big, big winter this year brought down a lot more trees than usual).

stevomcd
    Free Member

BTW, for anyone wanting to learn more about the “right” way to maintain trails, the IMBA “Trail Solutions” book is pretty good.

Mugboo

Thanks Edric64, I’ve mastered riding mud and limboing under branches. I ride through the mud all winter (&summer this year) but I quite enjoy riding in the dry too.

As for branches, mother nature can reclaim a trail very quickly without a helping hand.

I suppose it depends on where you live. Round here in Bradford we have lots of woodland. Over the years I have opened loads of good, techy lines by uncovering old paths that have become overgrown. The way I look at it, more paths means less pressure on the existing ones. And boggy sections will only get worse.

If you like boggy stuff then I apologise if I spoil your fun 🙂

VanHalen

if there is a big muddy bog/puddle it needs filling in or it will just be twice as bad next year.

thepurist

I used to stop and do my best to try to block off places where people were straighlining corners etc. but more often than not I’d go back and find that my efforts were fruitless as the logs, branches etc all got cleared. I tried using more/bigger stuff but the ‘others’ then just spend more time clearing them. These days I’ve got one or two fave trails that I still try to look after, and somtimes notice that others are doing the same too, but have given up on a lot of it now.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘trail maintenance’ is closed to new replies.