Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Trail Helmets – whats hot and whats not?
  • BillOddie

After a new trail lid as current one is getting a little long in the tooth.

What do people recommend? (aside from one that fits obviously.)

My head gets on well with Giro but the new Montaro apparently has self destructing pads and the new one, (Chronicle?) does this have the same issue?

Tried a Bell Super on and the shape felt odd and pinchy.

Cheers

Stiggy

I still find the Troy Lee A1 the most comfortable helmet I’ve ever tried.

stevied
    Free Member

If you can stomach the price the POC Tectal is fantastic.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Chronicle here – only 3 rides in but doesn’t seem to have the pad issue of the Montaro. No problems so far, comfy, etc..

rOcKeTdOg

Kask rex are comfy

Gotama
    Free Member

I was impressed with the Smith Forefront I tried on the other week. Would have bought one had I not gone full enduro gnar and bought a switchblade instead.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have a Bell Stoker I got for £20 out of Halfords.
    it fits, doesn’t get sweaty, doesn’t weight my head down and …. is a helmet.

Tweeks are punting them for £25

SaxonRider

I have a 7 iDP M2 (the orange one), and I actually really like it.

It fits snuggly on my melon without constricting, and is so easy to adjust – even on the move. If you like colour, one of the neon colours will lighten the trail!

Plus, they’re quite affordable.

Toasty

Specialized Ambush also seemed quite popular last time this flavour thread kicked off.

Simon

I still find the Troy Lee A1 the most comfortable helmet I’ve ever tried.

Yes, mine is hot! Hot as in boils my head. Fit is great though.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I also have the 7iDP as above but blue

Very pleased with it and price is reasonable

carlos
    Free Member

Sweet Protection Bushwacker fits my bonce nicely.

legend
    Free Member

Sweet Protection Bushwacker is the most comfy helmet I’ve ever owned, but it’s also the only one thats ever poured sweat into my eyes 🙁

Thinking about a Specialized Ambush as a replacement, but there is also the revised IXS Trail coming out (available from the Germans now and CRC next month) that might be worth a shot (£88 from Rose at the moment)

devash
    Free Member

Just bought a Met Terra http://www.met-helmets.com/en/products/mtb/terra

Good price and fits my head well.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, another lover of the Sweet Protection Bushwacker

Stiff have them for £99.- I got a blue one, but I really like the look of the white one, so may have to get another.. 😳

perchypanther
    Free Member

+1 for the 7idp M2.

Good value, fits well (on my head, at least)

Only downside is that I have the Matt Black one which has white straps which are getting a bit grubby and are a pain the tits to try and clean.

iainc

the straps on your helmet are causing a pain in the tits…..

I pity your wife .. 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

troy lee a1 drone

lowey

Just purchased a Sweet Protection Bushwhacker. Comfiest helmet I’ve ever had.

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve got s sweet protection bushwacker, perfect for this time of year because it’s so warm, too warm for me in the spring/summer/autumn got it for £75 though and have worn it since December

legend
    Free Member

Would agree with that. Once the temp is above about 5 degrees I boil in it

Did like the Bonty Rally up there ^ shame it doesn’t have in-mould straps like most others do now

Northwind

I really like the Fox Striker- and it’s discontinued now in favour of that new gormless looking thing so you can pick them up for about £40. It’s nothing exciting, just a really good ordinary helmet.

Neb

I get on with giro helmets, a Troy Lee A1 is also a good fit.

I recently bought a kask rex helmet, as good a fit as the Troy Lee but much better cooling and finish. Comes with a handy light/gopro mount as well. Currently for sale for £80 down from £150

perchypanther
    Free Member

I pity your wife

🙂

As well you should .

Living with me, she deserves your pity.

rOcKeTdOg

don’t buy one of these

BillOddie

Cheers all!

I do get a sweaty melon so I reckon thats the A1 and Bushwacker out!

I might order a 7idp M2 and see how the fit is.

That being said, anyone used a Met Parabellum?

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

+1 on the kask Rex, I’ve got a giro shaped head and the rex fits perfect
    Its very light and the coolest helmet I’ve owned
    Overall I’m really impressed with it

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Bern Morriston and Urge Supacross. Unusual helmets but only ones that fit my melon.

dai3015
    Free Member

I’ve got a MET Parabellum – great fit, nice and light and cost £38 from Amazon. Fits my head much better than the Bell Super 2 that I had. I think JE James is selling the Bluegrass Goldeneyes (pretty much the same as the MET) for £39.99 at the minute http://www.jejamescycles.com/bluegrass-golden-eyes-hes-helmet-2016.html

Seems a great price for a well reviewed trail lid

mikedabear
    Free Member

I’ve had a 7idp M2 I found it to be very comfortable and quite light. It also looks good on. The only thing that bugged me about it was if I turned my head to look behind the ratchet would loosen.
    It did do it’s job as I had an OTB and landed head down on a stony track. From the gash in the lid I would say it definately saved my bacon.
    I now have a Smith Forefront which I feel is the best lid I have owned including road ones.

submarined
    Free Member

Troy Lee A1 was super comfy but everyone I’ve spoken to about then says how hot they run.
    I ended up with an ICS Trail RS and I love it. Perfect shape for my head and runs really cool.

TheGingerOne

Kask Rex as well here – previously had Giro’s

Jerm

7idp for me too though I wish I’d gone for something brighter than grey!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Is the 7idp M2 suited to a round head, or an elliptical head? Liking the hi-vis orange and “red” (which looks quite orange to me) versions of this.

allyharp

If you can stomach the price the POC Tectal is fantastic.

I saw it for £60ish on alwaysriding.co.uk the other day. The Smith Rover MIPS was also a bargain at £55 too. Their site appears to be down now though, due to “capacity issues” so there’s a fair chance there are none left.

Otherwise I have a Kask Rex which I’m very happy with.

Kamakazie

Big fan of the Urge helmets. Really low profile, light and very comfortable.

gonzy
    Free Member

Troy Lee A1 was super comfy but everyone I’ve spoken to about then says how hot they run.

i agree it does get rather warm and sweaty sometimes. when the time comes i’ll be moving back to Giro again…possibly get a switchblade if the price comes down a bit

legend
    Free Member

There’s no way this isn’t going to be roasting

davosaurusrex

Another vote for the Kask Rex here although I don’t find the fit quite as comfy as the TLD, very close though.

I also have a medium Scott Stego MIPS in the black and orange, hardly used and mint which I’m going to sell if anyone is interested. Again very good lid but the Kask fits me slightly better and I don’t need both

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Trail Helmets – whats hot and whats not?’ is closed to new replies.