Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Trail & footpath manners & general courteousy
  • reedspeed
    Free Member

Issit just me or do people not give a flyin **** to cyclists ?,I’m talkin about about dog walkers ,walkers ,pushchairs users etc !.

I’ve nearly run over 3/4 dogs this am 2 of which nearly had me off !,due to idiot owners not takin ownership of there pets ,one had one of them stupid leads on a switch which ended up wrapped round my front wheel !.

Then there’s the ones who Play guessing games with you as to which way to go when you’re coming towards em ,leaving you thinking wtfs he gunna do ?.

I ride,I think quite courteous,and with a bell,which is handy when you’re coming up behind someone in the wind or elderly etc…but it’s hard work guessing or issit just me ???.

I know walkers hate us etc,but as we know they own the pathways !..

And lastly ,if you are approaching someone,which way as a cyclist,and driver,would you go to avoid a collision with the opposite ??.

Rant over !.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Just as a counterpoint you are technically riding a vehicle and it could be said that you give way to pedestrians in their entirety , including even moron dog walkers who think their mutt is the most important thing on the planet 😀

simondbarnes

Ride more slowly, smile, say hello.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kayla1
    Free Member

Kindness bomb – Slow down & allow for slowness of thought and righteous indignation, good morning/afternoon, smile, please & thank you, excuse me… BOOM! – it diffuses the situation nicely, makes you feel all warm ‘n’ fuzzy and leaves them thinking they’d have gotten away with it if it wasn’t for those pesky manners 😀

reedspeed
    Free Member

I do always say morning & thx for those who comply !.that the trouble I am too polite..

I wonder how hard it would be to modify a tazer for bar mounting ..

Northwind

I don’t expect people to make a lot of allowances for me- I just expect them to not actively cause other people problems. So weaving around the path, paying zero attention to their surroundings, blocking entire paths where there’s room for people to pass- none of this is specifically annoying when on 2 wheels either, I’m a fairly fast walker and occasional jogger and the number of times people seem to be out to block you is ridiculous.

Dogs on a long invisible lead are my pet hate- I’ve no objection to the concept but people who use them just seem to forget they have them. Just like bikes, if you’re doing something which impacts others more than usual, you have to take a bit of responsibility for it, not just wander around in a daze with your mobile tripwire.

bearnecessities

pet hate

🙂

vickypea
    Free Member

It’s bagged dog muck slung around on fields and trails that gets me!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I do always say morning & thx for those who comply

Comply? A strange word to use.
    Once you’ve tinkled your little bell, how long do you give them to comply?

ampthill

Its hard to tell without being there but your experience is different to mine

Where in the world do you ride? (PS I assume you are on a right of way)

I can’t think that I have ever had an annoying encounter with a dog walker whilst on my bike. I’m not saying that I’ve never had to stop but I accept that this might be needed on occasion

I don’t think we have yet upset a cyclist whilst dog walking

So do you rise some where where there are loads and loads of dog walkers

PS how on earth does a push chair user annoy you?

PPS link

When riding a bike or driving a vehicle, slow
    down or stop for horses, walkers and farm
    animals and give them plenty of room. By law,
    cyclists must give way to walkers and horseriders
    on bridleways.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I always slow right down for dogs. Walkers are generally pretty good at giving room to me.

ampthill

Hang on a mo

sub 24 hour registration

Have i been sucked in by a trole

rene59
    Free Member

I see just as many cyclists not giving a flyin **** to dog walkers ,walkers ,pushchairs users etc !.

When riding a bike or driving a vehicle, slow
    down or stop for horses, walkers and farm
    animals and give them plenty of room. By law,
    cyclists must give way to walkers and horseriders
    on bridleways.

Countryside Code – England and Wales

If your recreation is one which is likely
    to cause a hazard (for example cycling fast or driving a cart or
    carriage with horses or dogs) you should take particular care
    not to cause risk to others. If you are on shared-use routes you
    must show care and consideration for others, deferring to
    those who are most vulnerable.

On narrow routes, cycling may
    cause problems for other people, such as walkers and horse riders. If this
    occurs, dismount and walk until the path becomes suitable again. Do not
    endanger walkers and horse riders: give other users advance warning of
    your presence and give way to them on a narrow path.

Scottish Access Code

devash
    Free Member

Cool story. :mrgreen:

pk13

Ah the towpath tango.

I’ve been on both sides of this walking my dog with one of those leads. 3 bikes pushed passed me dog under control but got called an arse.

I’ve been using a narrow path on my bike and witnessed people have blind panic. Chatting with a couple of walkers on day the old lady did say something that surprised me she explained how wide I looked when approaching and my bike looked wide and tall to her.
    Stop and be over polite puts them off guard .

Northwind

ampthill – Member

PS how on earth does a push chair user annoy you?

By stopping at 90 degrees across the path then standing 3 feet from the pushchair, creating a perfect roadblock, usually. Mostly with me, this sort of thing is on the local canalpath and riverside path (which is a former railway line). You could drive a bloomin truck along most of them but somehow having 2 human beings compose themselves so that it’s possible to pass without conflict is beyond people.

medoramas
    Free Member

Kindness bomb – Slow down & allow for slowness of thought and righteous indignation, good morning/afternoon, smile, please & thank you, excuse me… BOOM! – it diffuses the situation nicely, makes you feel all warm ‘n’ fuzzy and leaves them thinking they’d have gotten away with it if it wasn’t for those pesky manners

What??? What about Strava times?? 😯

Joking aside… When I see someone else on the trail I always slow down to almost stop, it does not cost me anything and the last thing I want during my ride is some pointless arguments.

Last week I was riding my local tracks, there is one steep descent, full of rocks and wet leafs. Just when I started rolling down I spotted two horse riders going up the same track, about 50m away from me. I know how horses can freak out when they see some mud-covered something on two wheels, so I tried to stop, sliding and skidding all around… But I managed to stop, I got off the bike and shouted to them to carry on, as I climbed to the top and walked off the track onto a nearby field. I could hear them shouting back “thanks!” (female voices), so I waited. And when they got to the top I realized they were my two new neighbors (I don’t know if they are sisters or partners…)! :mrgreen:

MSP

When I see someone else on the trail I always slow down to almost stop, it does not cost me anything and the last thing I want during my ride is some pointless arguments

The thing is that shouldn’t be a one sided action, and the problem with the “countryside code” and the “scotish access code” is that it prioritizes some users over others instead of promoting sharing the space.

The reality is that the vast majority of walkers etc are fine and sensible, especially the further out you get from population centers. However there does seem to be a sizable minority who are just downright awkward, who will make no allowances at all to share the space and feel the “codes” empower them to deliberately block a cyclists progress, and campaign against shared access.

eshershore
    Free Member

Never had a problem with it, and where I ride off-road in NW London its notorious for dog walkers with packs of 8-10 dogs running around like mad

just slow right down, stop or dismount. let them pass, say hello to the dog walker and more often say hello to the dogs who are very friendly and interested in saying hello back and jumping all over me which I don’t mind as I’m usually covered in mud

fionap

Remember there’s a fair bit of crossover between cyclists and walkers, and even horse-riders. I do all three, lots of walking, fairly regular biking and very occasional horse riding. It’s impractical to suggest a single rule suits every occasion – priority should depend on location / speed / gradient etc. If only everybody was polite and considerate…

andytherocketeer

No real issues with dog walkers. Only issues with stupid dog walkers.
    Calling dogs back right in to my front wheel (was going to post that in the roadkill thread) is dumb. It’s even more dumb on the number 13 cyclepath. Good job I’d spotted the dog and slowed to barely walking pace.
    Ditto with stupid long extending leads. They don’t allow you to wind the dog back in like a fish. Only let it stop while you catch up.
    Yes I can swear in German, and gesticulate in internationally understood symbols.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Trail & footpath manners & general courteousy’ is closed to new replies.