Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Trail fixes for broken spokes
  • teenrat

Out today and 4 spokes broke on my rear wheel. The wheel became so off true that it wouldnt freely rotate within my frame. This resulted in a long and arduous walk back to the car. In the past ive been able to fix/bodge most things on the trail to get riding again but this had me stumped. Are there any bodges for broken spokes whilst out riding or is it home time?

frogstomp

Not tried it, but Emergency Spoke

Spin
    Free Member

Usually by tightening / loosening the surrounding spokes and some judiciously applied pressure you can get it true enough to ride home.

I ripped 6 spokes out of the drive side in the Alps when the mech hopped into it and managed to bodge it enough to ride the remaining 5k or so of descent.

bruneep

Why not carry spare spokes in your handle bars?

Spin
    Free Member

some judiciously applied pressure

Thus:

teenrat

I like the spokes in handlebars idea!

jamj1974

I have used an emergency spoke – I think it was a Genuine Innovations product. Worked really well and have it back in my pack for another emergency!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Not tried it but could you not have moved some non broken spokes to space them all out better, maybe with the missing spokes distributed through the non buckled section of the wheel?

Like I say I’ve not tried it. I use 823’s and they can happily carry on with a few missing spokes. I carry a Kevlar spoke, I tested it out on a wheel to see if it worked and it seemed fine but I haven’t used it in anger though.

Spin
    Free Member

Not tried it but could you not have moved some non broken spokes to space them all out better, maybe with the missing spokes distributed through the non buckled section of the wheel?

Wouldn’t work driveside though. Unless you can get the cassette off trailside…

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Broke one on Cut Gate.

Bend the broken ends of the spokes to form a small loop (pliers or E9 finger strength required – I carry a skeleton multi tool). Then back off the spoke nipple. Loop three tie wraps to link the two loops formed in the (broken) spoke ends. Use pliers or Captain Granitic finger strength to cinch up the tie wraps as tight as possible. Tighten up spoke nipple using – again – pliers or finger strength to hold loop and prevent ties from twisting.

Ride on without catching too much air.

Would have taken a pic but was extremely hacked off.

doug_basqueMTB.com

True, if they were all on the cassette side you’d be stuck. Often you can just pull the free hub body off though cant you and do it like that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP get your wheel rebuilt

teenrat

I will get it rebuilt as its unrideable as it stands. This was beyond fixing trailside but if the odd one goes again, something like ghastlyrabbitfats idea would be handy

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Trail fixes for broken spokes’ is closed to new replies.