Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Trail first aid
  • mega
    Free Member

I just stumbled on this video while dreaming of another trip to BPW

If I was one of this blokes mates I’d be similarly clueless as to what to do to help him – it looks a really scary situation. I feel a need to learn how to provide a bit of first aid – how to go about this?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBnhcZV3akc[/video]

whitestone
    Free Member

Depends on where you live but Plas y Brenin in N. Wales do first aid courses aimed at those participating in outdoor pursuits – http://www.pyb.co.uk/courses-first-aid.php

St John’s Ambulance?

chudsy
    Free Member

Local St Johns ambulance or Red Cross would probably be easiest place to get some basic first aid training.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Well that’s a textbook example of how not to do it. The guy was clearly breathing well and not choking, he was pink, nobody really knew if he had a fractures spine, which given his altered consciousness would have me most definitely not moving him. If that kind of thing happens phone 999 and play it safe.

BASP do an excellent outdoor first aid course.

grey

I stumbled on this yesterday as well, was quite scary to watch, then the more i watched i thought they should show this as a what not to do, i did notice they sorted his airway though, so a thumbs up for that.

tthew

I’m a first aider at work, so my employer pays for all the courses, refreshers and I don’t have to take holidays to attemd. Of course it doesn’t go into the specifics outdoor activities emergencies, but all the basics are the same.

My boss wants me to give it up as there’s quite a lot of people are qualified now, but I’m not keen on letting it lapse. Could that be an option?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

His airway was fine before they started dicking around.

wwaswas
    jam1e
    Free Member

The St John Ambulance First Aid is a handy app to have although obviously not as good as proper training.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why did they think his air way was an issue when you could see his chest going up and down?

Why did they start putting their fingers in is mouth and moving is jaw?

Then they remove his helmet…class

Why did they open up his jacket too?

Scary stuff what they were doing IMO

mega
    Free Member

I did actually have the app on my last phone now I think of it but couldn’t see myself using it in the heat of the moment. Will try my workplace to see if they will send me on a course. Off to practice the kiss of life on Mrs Mega now in the interest of health and safety (which may end with me needing first aid)

highlandman
    Free Member

Second vote for BASP advanced outdoor first aid courses; also Rescue Emergency Care courses at many outdoor centres. Glenmore Lodge deliver BASP courses regularly; like many outdoor centres, Ancrum in Dundee do REC and there are several local independant tutors in these parts, like Tom Durham & Mike McLaggan.
    Red Cross and the like is useful for the work-related H&S basics but any REC course is much more relevant to what we do and covers those H&S aspects too, as well as a much better focus on what you really need to know to give your buddy a much better outcome.

rusty90
    Free Member

I’ve done the REC course at PyB. Very good stuff aimed at exactly these sort of situations. Its all well and good learning how to get someone into the Safe Airway Position on a carpeted floor, a totally different matter when the instructor has positioned them upside down on a rock hanging over a river. And learning how to assess a situation before leaping in is vital.

andyl
    Free Member

Scary stuff what they were doing IMO

+1

I was cringing.

It’s all very well reading what to do and thinking you can do but you need to be put in a situation to actually see what you will do under pressure and get those mistakes out of your system so when you are in a real situation you do it right.

People scoff at running through fire drills etc but I had to take the fire wardens aside at a community hospital and point out a lot of mistakes to them after a fire drill when I was there as a patient. They thought it had gone well with a few minor hiccups but as a spectator I could see a few things. Including allowing a woman coming for an appointment walk straight past everyone and into the building when the alarm was going off!

I did a life guard course many years ago as I wanted to learn the basics (used to swim a lot and had a young nephew), not because I wanted to get a job doing it. I could do with a refresher on the first aid stuff and some sort of out door course would be more useful now I feel.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

There’s an app;

If you are getting your phone out, then why not just dial 999 or 112?

IMO the person can get up and help themselves, or they need professional help.

bigblackshed

Until they moved his legs off the rock they weren’t doing a bad job of it, if they were all untrained.

He was in a prefect position for treating shock, undo his jacket enough so it wasn’t constricting his throat, 50/50 with helmet. If they could support his head to ensure an open airway and to restrict any movement, then leave it on. Possibility of a head or neck injury. He was conscious, responsive but incoherent. Keep him where he was and call 999. Block the trail and phone BPW and send someone down to the centre.

It can be very difficult to keep someone calm and stationary if they want to get up and move.

St Johns do very good courses that will cover this type of incident. Getting your self trained is better to be over prepared than under prepared.

wwaswas

If you are getting your phone out, then why not just dial 999 or 112?

I think it’s the bit between the dialling and the help arriving that First Aid is intended to cover?

jonathan
    Free Member

I didn’t think they did too bad to be honest.

He clearly had an airway problem – you can hear it. Finger scoop of the tongue seemed to sort that. Airway is always first – it takes priority over everything else, including suspect neck injury etc.

Helmet’s got to come off sooner or later. Bike helmets come off pretty easily, compared to a full facer.

Some c-spine immob would have been nice to see, but you’ll do more harm than good trying to maintain it if someone’s coming round like that. C-spine is a precautionary measure, there isn’t actually loads of evidence that it improves outcomes, but everyone does it as it’s something you can do and there’s always the slim chance it will stop a catastrophic injury.

As a rider, for those occasions when it’s clear they’re not limping back to the car, I think the basics you could do with are:

1. clearing and maintaining airways

2. good CPR – a mate having a heart attack is probably more likely than one having a massive head or spine injury

3. c-spine immobilisation and a basic idea of casualty handling/care (including keeping them warm)

4. Knowing where you are and how to summon help. If you’re more than 20m from a smooth track, or the casualty is in any sort of difficult position then I’d say that means calling 999, asking for police and requesting mountain rescue.

The best app you can have is one that will give you a quick grid ref of your location. Viewranger or there’s a new OS one, something like that.

A little bit of training can go a long way in these sort of situations

wanmankylung
    Free Member

C-spine is a precautionary measure, there isn’t actually loads of evidence that it improves outcomes,

Eh?

jonathan
    Free Member

Just that – studies that have been done to assess whether performing c-spine or not affects outcome are inconclusive. One of those things – it may seem like common sense and an obvious benefit, but the numbers don’t necessarily support that. I’d still do it. I saw a quote recently from an emergency doc which was something along the lines of “The big trauma has already happened, not much you can do after that will come close to it”.

Another course provider just popped into my twitter feed, to go alongside the BASP courses (prices look comparable):
    http://www.timcainleadership.co.uk/and-theres-more-emergency-training/

philtricklebank

OP – for mountain biking and outdoor scenarios you could do much worse than booking on a 1 or 2 day Outdoor First Aid course.

These courses are appropriate for a lot of National Governing Body Instructor Awards. Loads of providers up and down the country. I attended a course with Sheffield based Will4Adventure. One of the most useful weekends of my life. A 2 day course is around £120 and is well worth it, in my opinion.

matt_outandabout

Can I suggest:
    Scotland – http://collectivetraining.co.uk/courses/first-aid/outdoor.html
    Peak/Midlands – http://www.highpeakfirstaid.co.uk/
    Wales – http://www.pyb.co.uk/courses-first-aid.php

edit: and carry some basic first aid stuff once you have the knowledge.
    My *basic* kit is duck tape x a few strips, resuci aid, BIG wound dressing.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Trail first aid’ is closed to new replies.