Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Trail ettiquette – going up instead of down
  • sofabear
    Free Member

yunki – Member

People travel from all over the country to ride our trails, and the only reference is the OS map..

Out of interest, where are these trails? From what you’ve said I’d assume Lakes/Peaks/Highlands? 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

The woods behind the Nationwide in Swindon

yunki
    Free Member

Sorry, that was a facetious reply.. 😳

I was thinking specifically of Lustleigh Cleave, East Dartmoor.. But the same could also be said for the whole of Dartmoor, Exmoor, The Quantocks and Woodbury Common

puddings
    Free Member

Accepting that BKB is well known to those who ride the area, I discovered most trails I ride up there by finding the easy to spot exit, riding up the trail to find the hidden entrance. Also allows me to sight the trail.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Was out for a couple of hours in the Surrey Hills today. On my way down one of the trails (Barry Knows Best for those who know it) I was met with a recumbent rider going up the trail.

Would have been interesting to see and watch. Good effort.

The trails here are on private land so no specific directional arrows or anything like that

Phew

and his point of view is that the trails are for all to use in any direction they choose.

Hard to disagree.

vickypea
    Free Member

I ride uphill plenty thanks, Marin. I assume you don’t, or you’d understand that if you stop on a steep technical climb, it’s more difficult to start again than if you’re going down. I recommend you try some steeper climbs than the ones you have obviously been riding 😛

Northwind

yunki – Member

If you can’t handle the concept of riding open access trails

The dude riding up the purpose built bike descent has that problem; not sure anyone else does. Open access revolves on responsible use.

Marin
    Free Member

Hmm Wales, Scotland, Lakes, Alps, Nepal, Peru, Norway, New Zealand all in past 4 years. Some of those trails were pretty steep and technical vickypea. If were being that specific about it 🙂

vickypea
    Free Member

Yes, Marin, I was being deliberately presumptuous about your climbing abilities, because you did the same about me.

yunki
    Free Member

Just playing devils advocate, but if it’s open access, maybe the dude thought.. Oooh look, a purpose built bike trail, what better thing for riding my bent up? Smashing..
    There’s plenty people out riding bikes that aren’t necessarily gen’d up on the current passion for zooming down a hill in the woods

Maybe someone saw him riding his daft contraption round the local park and suggested that Peaslake might be a more fun spot with all the purpose built bike trails and whatnot..

MTB enthusiasts are a relatively tiny microcosm of the wide range of people that like to mess about in the great outdoors, why should anyone outside of this weird little clan understand our (contradictory) views on etiquette?! 😆 Or respect them?

Do you know the finer points of hare coursing etiquette, or model aeroplane flying..?
    Do you adhere to their rules when out on a ride?

Marin
    Free Member

On your too argumentative for me. I still stop for peeps coming down so there!

mrmo
    Free Member

And threads like this remind me why i have developed the opinion that most mtbers are cocks

STATO
    Free Member

On your too argumentative for me. I still stop for peeps coming down so there!

and thats fine, almost karma since you would like others to do the same, but do you also stop for peeps coming up?

dovebiker

I was over Hurtwood yesterday and suspect I saw the guy on the recumbent trike – it’s one of these:
    http://www.icetrikes.co/community/ice-news/ice-full-fat-26fs#

Based on the first thing pedalled (not pushed) to the South Pole, so don’t think BKB would present too many challenges, except the steep bit at the top!

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Trail ettiquette – going up instead of down’ is closed to new replies.