Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • trail ettiquette advice please?
  • snowpaul
    Free Member

Hello all,

just a query re a riding situation at the weekend that got me thinking -I wondered what the consensus would be if say you are on a nice narrow trail (on a bridleway – NOT a scalextric one way round trail centre )and 2 similar sized groups of bikers meet each other – one group grinding up hill and one going downhill reasonably fast who should give way – esp as both groups can easily stop safely. The trail isnt stupid steep but it is quite narrow with just enough space to pass… faster DH group or slower uphill group?

just interested as everyone seemed to have different ideas – I wont say which group I was in till later….

cheers in advance

paul

trickydisco
    Free Member

In that situation i'd heed to the DH group. I'd expect the same if i was going downhill.

yetiguy
    Free Member

the going up group should defo pull over

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Downhill gives way. a climber may give way but the onus is on downhill to give way. Its easier to restart a dh than a climb.

jedi

id give way to the climbers. easier to carry on downhill

joolsburger
    Free Member

no way, uphill group have right of way same as in a car

m0nster2
    Free Member

Play it by ear, but, on balance, I'd say those on the way UP to give way as:
    (i) The delay will be shorter, (ii) They can have a breather 😉 , (iii) Downhills are earned

Incidentally, this completely contradicts the rules of the road – where those going DOWN should usually give way (EDIT: for the reason given by TJ)

gusamc
    Free Member

uphill group have right of way, it's harder to get going uphill

crazy-legs

This has cropped up before, it caused a right old ruckus.
    Those going down give way to those coming up. Unless the person coming up is walking/pushing in which case the rider has right of way.

parkesie
    Free Member

everyone stops for a chin wag and jelly babies

tang
    Free Member

i always give way to uphillers. however, the last time i did the last climber said 'i was hoping to give way to you, get a breather and an excuse for being last again"

thv3
    Free Member

Downhill I'd say.

Descent would be spoiled by a quick stop, a climb would not be. Also easier to track stand going up hill.

IanMunro
    Free Member

From the temporal efficiency viewpoint then the uphillers should stop as this would minimize the net loss of riding time.
    From the caloric efficiency the downhillers should stop, so that the uphillers don't have to restart.
    From the politeness viewpoint, both parties should stop, then step to one side and exchange pleasantries whilst passing each other.

crazy-legs

Descent would be spoiled by a quick stop, a climb would not be.

Unless you were 10yds from clearing that beast of a climb for the first time and someone charged past you forcing you to stop…

And anyway, "give way" does not necessarily mean "stop". It simply means that the DHer should be the one to change their line if possible, slow down if necessary, stop only if essential.

allmountain76
    Free Member

Who was generally bigger and harder, you or the others? The lads i ride with always seem to get right of way regardless (all ride 19" plus frames and weigh 13 stone plus) for some reason. I just tag along at the back and smile politely 😕

wwaswas

"Descent would be spoiled by a quick stop"

the red socks must love you.

mrmo
    Free Member

I go downhill to get to the next climb, so my attitude is the decenders give way to the climbers, i suspect those arguing the opposite ride climbs to get to the next decent. Replace bike coming up with horse or walker what do you expect then? simple reality is if you can't stop without scaring the crap out of the horse round the corner your going too fast.

bassspine
    Free Member

we're all on the same side.
    climbers should get right of way, and the right to stop and let descenders pass if they like.
    everyone should say hello; exchange of foodstuffs and route information is encouraged

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'm with tj

seems obvious to me

Dickyboy

If going uphill I'd give way for same reasons as monster says, but wouldn't necessarily expect any preference whilst going downhill.

Just be careful if you meet a retard like me though – pushed a gate open for a guy going downhill on Saturday afternoon & then realised too late that it had a spring return on it…… ouch (huge appology to guy on a Kona riding down to the Wormsley Estate)

snowpaul
    Free Member

hmmm

funny one isnt it…. I would expect the uphill group to get right of way myself…I always stop for a horse / walker on a DH and other riders unless they signal to come past…

I was in the uphill group and a bit peeved that I was almost run over as I was on the smoothest bit of track therefor easier on the climb – some of the downhill group assumed that they had the right of way and refused to ride the slighty rockier section which is 100 pc ok down but less so up…or rather the front ones did and the slower dh lot stopped for us to carry on and apologised for their mates…

ho hum – wasnt a big deal just we were all a bit bemused..

paul

Pieface

I like to have a go at cleaning a climb. Generally most of the trails are wide enough for both people to pass without stopping. If climbing or descending I'll take a line close to the edge of the trail – opposite the other party. If they don't oblige and go the other side I slow down. Generally never been an issue and I don't see any right either way.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bassspine – Member

we're all on the same side.
    climbers should get right of way, and the right to stop and let descenders pass if they like.
    everyone should say hello; exchange of foodstuffs and route information is encouraged

Oi – this is STW – no nice namby pamby sentiments here please

actually this is perhaps the correct answer from basspine

Junkyard
    Free Member

i would give way to a downhiller if I could get started again easily as downhill is more fun but I would expect them to be going slow enough to notice me allowing them to proceed – nod then through or something. Downhill easier to get going downhill than uphill hence UPHILL has ROW.

busydog
    Free Member

I am assuming that normal trail etiquette there in the UK is about the same as here in the US—-one gives way to uphill riders unless there is room to pass without doing so. I often see uphill riders pull over and let the downhill rider go–they probably welcome the breather. It is frustrating to be on a long, steep climb and an oncoming downhill rider just stays in the middle of the trail expecting you to stop. Just as frustrating is someone pulling over to let you pass and, instead of pulling to the right side of the trail, they pull off to the left, directly across your path—saw a guy get broadsided doing that.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Everyone gives way to me. Mark my words carefully peasant.

IHN

Unless you were 10yds from clearing that beast of a climb for the first time and someone charged past you forcing you to stop…

And anyway, "give way" does not necessarily mean "stop". It simply means that the DHer should be the one to change their line if possible, slow down if necessary, stop only if essential.

Exactly what he said

iggs
    Free Member

parkesie – Member

This is the common sense approach. As soon as someone thinks they have right of way destined by higher moral purpose it makes for a right royal pita.

Having said that if I'm heading down and feeling 'on it' I'm likely to aim for what I think is a gap, alternative line, crash through the bushes and fly on by. I'll smile cheerily and hollar a friendly greeting along the way too :mrgreen:

busydog
    Free Member

Another peripheral issue is that a more experienced rider, uphill or down, knows when there is room to pass–whereas an inexperienced rider often thinks it's too close when actually bikes could pass 3 abreast.

bialled_dikes
    Free Member

those climbing uphill have priority; full stop.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

I don't like the idea of a right of way personally, if people are nice and polite there's no need for one and if people aren't they'll just ignore it anyway. Downhill riders should certainly slow and make sure they pass anyone in a comfy and friendly manner though, huh?

Like the walker > horse > bike bit in the Scottish outdoor access thing, unhelpful in my opinion. (Is there any basis for this other than that cyclists are scum and walkers and horse riders are nice people?)

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

parkesie – Member

+1 good idea

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Iggs, those are my sentiments exactly..

busydog
    Free Member

jobbyheid is right in that a little common sense, politeness and being nice pretty much makes it work like it should. In my local trails, there are bikers, horses, walkers/runners—I have found there are rude, inconsiderate members of each group, but here runners seem to be the most difficult. I have had horses and some really get spooked by bicycles so I just pull off and let them pass and/or try not to surprise them coming up from behind at full tilt.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

go me! Thanks busydog..

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘trail ettiquette advice please?’ is closed to new replies.