Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Trail etiquette – ladies first surely? Discuss!
  • cinnamon_girl

OK, am feeling a little bit guilty today cos I did rather barge my way through a group of blokes, forcing them to move swiftly. But I did flash them a lovely smile and say “thank you” so that does make it OK, doesn’t it?

After all, it’s not every ride you get to see a lady like me is it? Those who know me – please stop sniggering!

Perhaps the STW Massiv would like to discuss this important issue?

DezB
    Free Member

Blingingest bike goes first.

So I guess thats you then..!

😉

scaredypants

I invoke Barnes’ law:

nicest arse goes first

mamadirt
    Free Member

Hmmmm . . . when I’ve done uplift at Cwmcarn I’ve waited until everyone else is out of site before mincing down 😳

wors

show us your arse, will then give you an answer!

cinnamon_girl

Nah, wasn’t on the bling bike today Dez! She was having a rest!

scaredy – I was on my own but like most ladies, I think my bum is far too big!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Barnes’s Law

jojoA1
    Free Member

Fastest rider first, so yeah. 😉

cinnamon_girl

Well, I was on my own and there were around 6 of them but we were riding in opposite directions. Just didn’t want to change my line!

jojoA1
    Free Member

You just have to make sure you don’t wipe out in front of them. That’s embarrasing. I have personal experience of it. Hiding pain and embarrasment at the same time is quite an art.

cinnamon_girl

jo – my life is spent self-deprecating!! I thought I handled the trail rather well, after all it wasn’t difficult.

So … how did you manage both then?

radoggair
    Free Member

men = fast, wimen = slow

Its the law. If women overtakes man, he must have
    A/ an extremely serious injury
    B/ Huge bike issues. I.e. missing cranks

😛

RepacK
    Free Member

Who dares wins..

steel4real
    Free Member

When riding in a group, fastest rider first (male or female).

However if on my own, Barnes’ law, enjoy the view !

muggomagic

Biggest breasts go first.

That’ll be me then.

qwerty
    Free Member

errrr … i’ll be bringing up the rear…..

solamanda
    Free Member

In the opposite direction choice I usually decide based on who is least going to be put out by pulling aside. If I’m riding uphill slowly and see riders descending towards me quickly, I stop. It’s more of an arse to loose descending speed than visa versa. However if I see what I judge as a vunerable trail user, I usually pull over. That includes women riding alone, children or novice ‘appearing’ riders.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for amusing replies!

solamanda – can I refer to myself as a solo novice woman/vulnerable trail user? Should get myself out of a lot of trouble!!

crazy-legs

I’d say the opposite to solamanda, if I’m going downhill and there’s a rider strugging upwards I’ll slow/move line/stop since it’s much easier for me to get going again than for the uphill rider.
    There are obvious exceptions like if it’s too steep to be riding up and s/he is pushing/carrying in which case I’d like right of way thank you!

solamanda
    Free Member

can I refer to myself as a solo novice woman/vulnerable trail user?

Yes, I hope this doesn’t sound sexist or anything that the PC crowd won’t like. At the end of the day the uneven balance of women riding mountain bikes is down to many factors, don’t want to give another reason to put them off. However sometimes it’s hard to spot a rider is a woman till too late, it would be worse to make a last minute decision to stop and get it wrong.

chvck
    Free Member

I agree with solamander on the giving way going uphill thing as I know that I, and everyone I know, prefer going downhill to uphill. Whilst it may be an arse to get going again when riding uphill I know that I’d rather have a clear run going downhill, some people may disagree but in my experience the general consensus is that going downhill is more fun!

Olly
    Free Member

i would suggest quickest goes first.

if your the quickest, YAY, if your likely to hold up following bikes then less yay.
    the best way to get quicker is to chase someone quicker than you, generaly we set off in speed order, fastest to slowest, and try and keep the pack together.

But I did flash them a lovely smile and say “thank you” so that does make it OK, doesn’t it?

No

cinnamon_girl

solamanda – no, that doesn’t sound sexist at all.

As regards being on climbs/descents, car drivers were having to put up with me panting for England on single track road climbs but they were mainly 4×4 drivers so it doesn’t matter 😉

RepacK
    Free Member

I reckon it doesnt matter who goes 1st but if you do & you get caught be prepared to pull over – its that simple (& dont get the hump if someone does want to get past!)..Its the equivalent of being in the outside lane & not moving over to let faster cars through.

oldfart

CG bet you wouldn’t be as polite on the Sandbanks ferry if she hit a reef !!!!!Arf Arf Arf!!!!!!!!!!!!!Woman first sod the children !!!!

Rivett
    Free Member

I thought you were supposed to give way to people riding up hill?

jojoA1
    Free Member

CG, you grit your teeth, jump up as quick as you can, say ‘woops!’. Ride round the corner and then make all the ouchy noises you need to. Of course, you then have to go back and clean the feature to show that you could actually do it if it wasn’t for that ‘silly little error’. Oh and then go and get the knee to ankle and elbow to wrist loss of skin scrubbed clean and dressed.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

FYI Barnes’s law precedes me by several million years, possibly as long as arses have existed :o)

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

So have you invented a new game called ‘bike skittles’ ? or ‘ bike chicken’ ? to me – no etiquette required as the blokes should have been more chivalrous towards you in the first place ? (they should have realised that your map would have been upside down )

Bunnyhop

Only twice have I ever needed to pass a group of blokes, both times was at Penmachno.
    The first group said I was showing off and let me pass, the second lot heard me behind and just started pedalling faster and faster, eventually running out of puff and I sailed past.
    That was a few years ago when I was a fitter lass.

As long as you thank them, I can’t see a problem.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks jo. No girlie tears from you then!

oldfart – dead right! See there was a little incident involving the ferry the other day, put me right off I can tell you!

Reckon my curls kind of give the game away and as for a map being upside down … yeah was being a bit brave but kept phoning my mummy every half hour to let her know I was OK! I’m back in the kitchen now though.

BadlyWiredDog

The best thing in the world is being out with a properly quick woman rider and watcingh the awful gurning and gnashing of teeth as blokes’ assumptions about women not being able to ride quickly uphill and down are blown to pieces. There are so many sexist oafs out there…

Don’t ask how I know etc.

bomberman
    Free Member

you want equality? then what does it matter whether they were male or female?

EDIT: infact what does it matter whether YOU are male or female? 😉

bomberman
    Free Member

Just so you know, it matters. just trying to stir up debate

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I agree with solamander on the giving way going uphill thing as I know that I, and everyone I know, prefer going downhill to uphill. Whilst it may be an arse to get going again when riding uphill I know that I’d rather have a clear run going downhill……………

When we did this last time there was a clear consensus for the downhill rider to give way ( but with a large vociferous minority) It has always been the way in any vehicle at any time. the uphill rider may get out of the way for the downhill out of politeness but it is the uphill rider that has right of way. always. You can always get a restart downhill but often can’t uphill.

cinnamon_girl

Did I say I want equality? I ride bikes but still like to be treated as a woman hence my question of “ladies first surely” 😉

I have no shame in admitting I’m a rubbish rider and am definitely not faster than any man 🙄

Olly
    Free Member

i think its fine to go down first, but be prepared for a wait at the bottom, as we wait for the you to clear the trail at the top.

my ex stopped riding with us because she was sitting around on her own at the bottom while we sat and chatted at the top.
    she was convinced that waiting at the bottom if she went last irritated us (it didnt in the slightest, we were happy to).

to “barge in” with a “thankyou” is irritating no matter who does it, like those twunts on the roads in 4x4s who barge arse across your nose into the lane, then wave a thankyou.

dont thank me, i had no say in the manouver whatsover you ****t!

Bunnyhop

That’s a bit strong Olly.

antigee

it’s hard to spot a rider is a woman till too late

maybe that could be done as a white line type thing with some snuggly anatomy of yr choice at the end

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Did I say I want equality? I ride bikes but still like to be treated as a woman hence my question of “ladies first surely”

I’d let you go first, love…

I’m back in the kitchen now though

I hope you’ve got small feet….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Trail etiquette – ladies first surely? Discuss!’ is closed to new replies.