Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Trail Etiquette
  • ScottTB

Hi,

I wanted to get peoples opinion in this situation please…

When a faster rider comes up behind a slower rider on a trail should:

A) the slower rider should be looking/listening for faster riders and move over to let them past as soon as possible.

B) the faster rider should make their presence known and wait for a safe place to pass.

Please comment A or B and we’ll see what the results are in a bit.

Many thanks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

B

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

B.

kayak23

A bit of both is nice.

bearnecessities

C) Both should kiss.

martinhutch

Bit of both. But B in terms of prime responsbility.

scotroutes

B

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Both

tillydog
    Free Member

D) the faster rider should make their presence known follow at a safe distance and wait for a safe place to pass.

martinhutch

I guess we’re going to hear about the C option in a minute.

Speshpaul

Both should apply the “am I being a ****t?” rule.

But then that pretty much applies to life and everything.

Yak

B, but done politely. No point in being an arse, but at the same time sitting on someone’s wheel for a long time doesn’t help anyone either.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Speshpaul – Member
    Both should apply the “am I being a ****t?” rule.

But then that pretty much applies to life and everything.

One of the two rules for life.

Rule one – Don’t be a dick.
    Rule two – Be excellent to each other.

Just imagine how good life would be if everyone obeyed those two simple rules?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

A bit of both is nice.

bearnecessities

Just imagine how good life would be if everyone obeyed those two simple rules?

I’m not sure how an excellent dick would help, but as long as you’re happy. 🙂

carlos
    Free Member

B

Also

D) the faster rider should make their presence known follow at a safe distance and wait for a safe place to pass.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

B

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m not sure how an excellent dick would help, but as long as you’re happy.

I didn’t get where I am today without an excelle[b]Stop that now! Mods. [/b]

jam-bo

E: running commentary on slower riders line choices.

At least that’s what my mate Andy does to me.

ScottTB

Thanks all – I know that “a bit of both” is ideal, but I was curious as to folks personal “trail rules”.

I had a situation at Cannock today when going down a trail at a pace when a quicker rider came up behind me – but rather than tell me he as there, or tell me he wanted to pass, he chose to buzz my back wheel at 20mph and then tried to undertake me on a berm!?!

When we got to the bottom of the section he had a go at me “for not giving way to the faster rider”.

My understanding was that B was the primary answer (usually with a “passing on the left/right”), but wanted to check in with other folks opinions.

Thanks!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

rather than tell me he as there, or tell me he wanted to pass, he chose to buzz my back wheel at 20mph and then tried to undertake me on a berm

Hoof/slat interface is required.

When we got to the bottom of the section he had a go at me “for not giving way to the faster rider”.

Dick.

Stoner
    Free Member

*needs moar brake-check*

carlos
    Free Member

I had a situation at Cannock today when going down a trail at a pace when a quicker rider came up behind me – but rather than tell me he as there, or tell me he wanted to pass, he chose to buzz my back wheel at 20mph and then tried to undertake me on a berm!?!

Obviously he has a tiny excellent dick

ajantom

Mostly B, but a little bit of A is good.

Unlike the twonk with earphones in I was stuck behind the other week. In the end I took a side trail as he had no idea I was there, and would have blithely ridden on forever with me saying ‘excuse me’.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’d say BA “the faster rider should make their presence known,the slower rider should move over to let them past at a safe place.”
    Both parties have a responsibility not to be a dick…….unless you ride in a large group.In which case you are fully entitled to do what the @$£% you want.

vongassit
    Free Member

I’m quite often the slower rider & I opt for A. Get them past so I can focus on me & not be pressured out of my comfort zone.

I also like this when I’m not the slower rider.

nick1962
    Free Member

Did somebody say C?
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaR_W1o3-yA[/video]

martymac

You dont have to “give way to the faster rider”
    He’s lucky you didn’t panic and hit the brakes when he buzzed your tyre tbh, plenty of people would, not maliciously.
    Id have told him to eff off and grow up.

convert

How long should a rider be an excellent B with the other rider clearly aware and ignoring opportunities to let them past before taking their own (safe but a bit rude) measures? I guess it depends on the situation; if they can slow and speed up without ruining their fun, how much the faster rider made their own misfortune by not leaving a reasonable gap when they could etc.

Personally having someone faster stuck behind me ruins it for me and I get shot asap.

ScottTB

The trail was pretty much all singletrack, so hard to give him a place to pass (which I do normally do when I’m asked), but once he started being an idiot he was too close for me to stop anyway – we’d have just ended up in a massive crash!

Thanks again all for your answers – it confirms I’m not going mad!

fin25
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Rule one – Don’t be a dick.
    Rule two – Be excellent to each other.
    Rule three – Party on, dudes!

ianfitz
    Free Member

In a race you probably should give way to the faster rider. Especially if you are being lapped. But they should make you aware they are there and wait to pass in a suitable place. Either they or you can suggest where that is. I like to point and say take the line. Leaves no doubt where you are intending them to pass.

In real life, just riding. The don’t be a dick rule applies. Sounds like it was broken today. Not by the OP!

Rorschach
    Free Member

How long should a rider be an excellent B with the other rider clearly aware and ignoring opportunities to let them past before taking their own (safe but a bit rude) measures?

Usually… 3 onethousand,2 onethousand,1 onethousand….right yer ‘avin it.

jonnyboi

OP, you don’t need a poll to confirm that the guy behind you was an utter dick. A boot/plum interface is required in these situations

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rule three – Party on, dudes!

Obviously.

P-Jay
    Free Member

C – the LEADING rider (to be called slower is an insult), once they’ve discovered their relaxed pace has attracted the attention of another rider ‘kicks’ and the race is on, first to the next natural stopping point, winner takes all, no quarter given, none asked.

Rorschach
    Free Member

People who suddenly speed up when you call ‘on yer right’ need shooting….repeatedly….in the dick….with a howitzer.

lucky7500

Of the official choices, B. D would be the better description though, and in reality, in common with some of the responses above, I just stop if someone is right behind me like that as I find it extremely stressful!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Maybe not applicable to UK trail centres but in the Whistler Bike Park, on green and blues slower riders have priority (so B), on black and double black then slower riders should get out of the way (A with a bit of B).

scaredypants

I’ve been the following rider twice – I’m not that fast so it doesn’t happen often

1st was at Afan somewhere – longish singletrack descent. Some bloke set off inbetween me and my mate and was very slow. I waited for a bit behind him, got no response so stopped and gave him a lead. Caught him and repeated the above – twice. Dozy **** eventually stopped to let me past literally less than 50 yards from the bottom.
    My mate had been down about 5 minutes when I finally arrived

Second was in california. 5 mile descent, earned with a 5 mile climb. caught a pair of riders, one of whom was obviously fairly new to it and quite twitchy as it’s quite exposed in parts. Waited behind them for about half a mile until they stopped. As I passed the one at the back, the other one cut back onto the trail and set off in front – not that much faster than before (but clearly leaving his hesitant mate on his own). I stopped to give him a lead, caught him and did the same again so just stopped and waited until the other guy caught up. He stopped and apologised for his “mate” who he said acts like a dick sometimes and hates to be passed

Both “events” have made me very keen to avoid doing it to any rider who might catch me

so for me it’s “B”, but eventually “A – you selfish ****!”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Trail Etiquette’ is closed to new replies.